Turn on thread page Beta

Your Favourite "Prince and Pauper" foods! watch

ReputationRep:
    ^Incredible deal

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite "Prince" foods has completely MORPHED into an incredible Pauper Food!

The ultimate MAXIBON is - get this - FIVE for a POUND at my local Heron Freezer Supermarket.

FIVE FOR A POUND.

ReputationRep:
    My 'prince' food is a good quality tuna steak:

Treat myself every other week or so to a pack. SO SO EXPENSIVE but I can't resist.

I've been trying to think of a 'pauper' food, but nothing is springing to mind... must have some though! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Dot Com)
    My 'prince' food is a good quality tuna steak:

Treat myself every other week or so to a pack. SO SO EXPENSIVE but I can't resist.

I've been trying to think of a 'pauper' food, but nothing is springing to mind... must have some though! :p:
    Do you buy your tuna from supermarkets? It's absurdly overpriced there. I buy Tuna Steaks from a market vendor in Newcastle's Grainger Market (fishmonger dude), and it's like half the price!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Do you buy your tuna from supermarkets? It's absurdly overpriced there. I buy Tuna Steaks from a market vendor in Newcastle's Grainger Market (fishmonger dude), and it's like half the price!
    I do buy it from supermarkets! I shall bear that in mind... don't know of any fishmongers/market stalls selling fish around here at uni, but when I'm at home I shall have a look around. Maybe tuna steaks will become my pauper food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Dot Com)
    I do buy it from supermarkets! I shall bear that in mind... don't know of any fishmongers/market stalls selling fish around here at uni, but when I'm at home I shall have a look around. Maybe tuna steaks will become my pauper food
    Unless you're in the country, there should be a market in your town. It might only be on certain days though.

ReputationRep:
    Another of my "Prince and Pauper Food" combos:

PRINCE:

FAMOUS GROUSE WHISKY - I LOVE whisky, a good single malt can make the world sing in harmony, but it's hardly the cheapest commodity!

PAUPER:

YOUNG'S LIGHT ADMIRAL/MARINER/OCEAN PIES - Fair enough, they're "light" pies, and as such you don't get much fish in these... but less than 300 kcal, delicious, microwavable, AND 2 for £1.50 in Iceland? BUDGET RESPECT!

ReputationRep:
    Another of my "Prince and Pauper Food" combos:

PRINCE:

FAMOUS GROUSE WHISKY - I LOVE whisky, a good single malt can make the world sing in harmony, but it's hardly the cheapest commodity!

PAUPER:

YOUNG'S LIGHT ADMIRAL/MARINER/OCEAN PIES - Fair enough, they're "light" pies, and as such you don't get much fish in these... but less than 300 kcal, delicious, microwavable, AND 2 for £1.50 in Iceland? BUDGET RESPECT!
    And the pies are really tasty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Prince food:
    Its 45 bloody p for one Happy Hippo!!! WTF! They are tiny!!! If they weren't so delicious I would never buy them.

Pauper food:
    Go to Sainsburys. Go to the bakery section. Buy yourself a couple of cheese twists. My god, these things are delicious. And at two for £1 they are cheap as well.
    You can get 5 happy hippos in a box from poundland.

ReputationRep:
    Prince:
    -Olives
    -Chicago Town Mini Pizzas, worth the pennies
    -Smoked Salmon
    -Prawns! Not shrimps, prawns!

Pauper:
    -Sainsburys Basics Cornflakes
    -Cheap tomato ketchup- taste just as good as Heinz!
    -Lidl fishcakes! They're like 10 for a pound!

ReputationRep:
    Great Thread TotoMimo as always.

My Pauper Food:

Cheese Puffs from Tesco

Alidi Picnic Pate

My Prince Food:

Smoked Salmon, Good quality Pate, Deli Meats.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Paupers:

Just wish it was quicker to make

NOM!

Prince:

Fillet Steak

might think of some more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    Paupers:

Just wish it was quicker to make

NOM!

Prince:

Fillet Steak

might think of some more...

You buy fillet steak every time you go into a supermarket?! Holy cow, you must be minted!

ReputationRep:
    You buy fillet steak every time you go into a supermarket?! Holy cow, you must be minted!
    morrisons have various sizes, some are only £3 something, and they are REALLY nice.

ReputationRep:
    Another "Pauper" food that tastes incredible is, when you go to LIDL/ALDI and get those really cheap tall chocolate/strawberry desserts that're kinda like angel-delight-meets-creme-caramel in consistency, topped with cream. They come in clear, tall yoghurt pots with a metal foil lid - anyone know what I mean?
    I know this is from ages back but YES OH MY GOD. I used to spend my lunch money on a strawberry one every morning, I haven't eaten one in ages but I will have to look out for one next time I go shopping, for nostalgia's sake.

ReputationRep:
    Raef Bjayou inspired thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Devil)
    Raef Bjayou inspired thread?
    Ah Raef :love:

I loved it when, after absolutely ages, he popped up on Celebrity Come Dine With Me!

ReputationRep:
    Pauper food: chicken and chips £1

ReputationRep:
    Prince-smoked salmon slices, shloer, evian water, angel hair spaghetti from Sainsburys, seashell chocolates, robinsons squash, tropicana, and a big thing for supermarket premium range microwave/oven meals like in the 2 for £10 deals!

Pauper- supermarket brand crisps and drinks, value ranges of food, pizza, bread, cans of soup. Right now I am eating a lot of sardines in tomato sauce and baked beans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAZZA007)
    Prince-smoked salmon slices, shloer, evian water, angel hair spaghetti from Sainsburys, seashell chocolates, robinsons squash, tropicana, and a big thing for supermarket premium range microwave/oven meals like in the 2 for £10 deals!

Pauper- supermarket brand crisps and drinks, value ranges of food, pizza, bread, cans of soup. Right now I am eating a lot of sardines in tomato sauce and baked beans
    What?

Squash is cheap, and only mugs pay for branded water.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.