Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most moving picture youve ever seen watch

ReputationRep:
    For me, without a doubt it has to be this one. It really does tell a thousand words

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I was gonna choose that one as well.....

ReputationRep:

(For context, see here).

ReputationRep:
    Not a picture, but a mental image.

My gran had been suffering with alzheimer's for around 5 years, and was in hospital last January - essentially dying. I had to leave to go back to university for my exams. Having to leave her, knowing I'd never see her alive again was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. And that image of her, lying in the hospital bed, frail as anything, hanging onto life like the stubborn woman she always was, is something that will never leave my head.

edit - thanks for all the + reps. I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason" and "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger", and do think that I am a better person because of what was going on. It doesn't make it less sad looking back, but it gives me some comfort .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by word2yamother)
    For me, without a doubt it has to be this one. It really does tell a thousand words
    Move your head back and forth from the screen. It really works.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Maybe not the most moving but pretty damn inspirational

Tahrir Square

ReputationRep:

Edit: Also notice that loads of the other pictures uploaded on this thread could have exactly the same message.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    From an unnamed source. Perhaps not the most moving picture I've ever seen, but I've loved this picture for a long time now.

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/granaca...taeljodid.jpg/

ReputationRep:

Or this:

ReputationRep:
    Or this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Or this one

Why exactly is he sitting there burning? Shocking.

ReputationRep:
    Sums up Capitalism, i know i'll get negged for this but some people aren't as lucky as us under the Capitalist system...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Why exactly is he sitting there burning? Shocking.
    Vietnam 1963, Monks were being persecuted by South Vietnam political party. He set himself on fire as a sign of protest agaisnt this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    My Mum has a "picture wall" thing, full of random little photos from all over the world, representing cultures, etc. There's a couple like this, but I believe the reason they do it is because they believe they've failed in life. :dontknow:

So I read, anyway. Its supposed to be some form of purifying their souls and flesh if they have wronged in some way.

Still, shocking indeed.
    omg noooo

ReputationRep:
    My Mum has a "picture wall" thing, full of random little photos from all over the world, representing cultures, etc. There's a couple like this, but I believe the reason they do it is because they believe they've failed in life. :dontknow:

So I read, anyway. Its supposed to be some form of purifying their souls and flesh if they have wronged in some way.

Still, shocking indeed.
    You are so wrong ...

ReputationRep:

Still, shocking indeed.
    What a load of rubbish.

Monks do not use violence in any way, so this is their form of protest, burning themselves. It is horrific but the self control they demonstrate... it's enough to bring tears to your eyes what makes them do such a thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A...4%90%E1%BB%A9c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    You are so wrong ...
    Like I said, just what I'd read. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The children running from their village in vietnam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Wow. What a stupid thing to do. :eyebrow:
    Have you no respect for them? It actually saved them, as the picture gained attention worldwide and the US had to step in. Thus the War the Vietnam(plus a number of other things).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.