Whats the most moving picture youve ever seen watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)

I cried when I first saw this.
    Damn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Are you actually retarded? Did your parents drop you on your head as a baby? Do you really think that Buddhist monk was all about fame and notority? Do you think he thought "Oh hey, there's a camera maybe I'll get on the front page of OK! magazine this week if I burn myself to death!1!1111!!"

I'm genuinely shocked by your lack of common sense and your utterly moronic view that he burnt himself to death JUST because a camera was there. You've rendered me speechless with your stupidity. Well done.
    Haha, you're so cute when you're angry. So you're saying it was out of protest, but wasn't supposed to be seen? Contradictory much?
    I still haven't heard a convincing argument from you, but a lot of verbal abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Pursuit of Happiness. Shed a tear or two during that movie; only movie I have ever cried in as well.

Hated that Blindside crap though that everyone kept raving about for a month or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by word2yamother)
    For me, without a doubt it has to be this one. It really does tell a thousand words
    As soon as I read the title this picture came into my head. So sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Vietnam 1963, Monks were being persecuted by South Vietnam political party. He set himself on fire as a sign of protest agaisnt this.
    did he die?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Haha, you're so cute when your angry. So you're saying it was out of protest, but wasn't supposed to be seen? Contradictory much?
    I'm not saying it wasn't supposed to be seen. Protests are about showing your opposition you're standing up for a cause. That monk believed so strongly in the protests against the persecution of Buddhists he was willing make himself a martyr (bet you haven't heard of that word before, have you?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    How was he to know that it would have this effect though?
    Well...when someone protests, the reason they do it is to gain enough attention so that they can be 'heard', no? They did loads of protests, so they resorted to this sacrifice...you could say he is a hero tbh.

Ironic username btw :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    In terms of an actual picture, I'll echo what bramz19 posted.
    Who can find earth in this:

Puts us into perspective IMO.

edit - damn you Aphotic Cosmos!! Got there just before me. Damn you!
    Looks like its been taken on a blackberry phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    I'm not saying it wasn't supposed to be seen. Protests are about showing your opposition you're standing up for a cause. That monk believed so strongly in the protests against the persecution of Buddhists he was willing make himself a martyr (bet you haven't heard of that word before, have you?).
    The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage.
    Suicide in the name of something is just suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azn-wonder91)
    did he die?
    Unfortunately yes. He was set to die. His body was later re-cremated but his heart was intact, so they kept it in a glass chalice in some temple(I dont know the name ) and regard it as Holy. He is now a symbol of compassion and considered as a bodhisatva, a devine being in the Budhism religion. The fact that, while burning he was able to just sit there, calm and quiet is impressive.

Mad respect I have for the guy.

ReputationRep:

The kittens were shot and mutilated/cut open by people, the mum tries to lick them to wake them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piecewise)

(For context, see here).
    Although it is a memorable photo, I completely hate how it is used as an example of 'us against them' (I am in my early 30s and not someone who went to a fee paying school by the way). Arguably the young boy on the far right , not any on the left , has the cockiest expression, possibly because he looks quite similar to them and finds their , what in kinder eyes, might be regarded as an ethereal, look as unnerving. The boy in the middle right doesn't look threatened (or threatening)- he looks like he might have wanted to be friends with them. The apparently quietly assured expressions of the boys on the left are not necessarily 'to the manor born' arrogance - they may just be showing respect for the position that they are in, which demands no jokiness. The continued use of this photograph just says so much about how the upper class have been blanketly demonised as the 20th century went on, becoming even more pronounced when grammar schools dwindled in number. An easy life doesn't automatically come from going to a public school - people are mortal and there is inverse snobbery - not so bad from their peers but you can imagine that from those much older than them inverse snobbery could be as bad as snobbery is to someone who went to a non-paying school.

So, thank you for the context which is actually a lot more moving than the picture as it turns out. When the 'upper classes' (sometimes working or middle classes who've scrimped and saved to pay for edcuation actually) suffer tragedy, as they inevitably will, it can seem more pronounced because the fall may seem higher.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately yes. He was set to die. His body was later re-cremated but his heart was intact, so they kept it in a glass chalice in some temple(I dont know the name ) and regard it as Holy. He is now a symbol of compassion and considered as a bodhisatva, a devine being in the Budhism religion. The fact that, while burning he was able to just sit there, calm and quiet is impressive.

Mad respect I have for the guy.
    Oh wow his heart was intact?!

Wow I don't actually know what to say...

ReputationRep:
    Well...when someone protests, the reason they do it is to gain enough attention so that they can be 'heard', no? They did loads of protests, so they resorted to this sacrifice...you could say he is a hero tbh.

Ironic username btw :lol:
    I know, right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azn-wonder91)
    Oh wow his heart was intact?!

Wow I don't actually know what to say...
    No worries brah

ReputationRep:
    One of the most moving pictures I have ever seen in my life

http://isurvived.org/Pictures_iSurvi...T-2corpses.GIF

It's from the holocaust :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)

The kittens were shot and mutilated/cut open by people, the mum tries to lick them to wake them up.
    Truely upsetting, I really don't see how some people think they have the right to do that.

ReputationRep:

Whether you agree with (any) religion or not, it IS an amazing sight to behold!

Simply awe-inspiring...

ReputationRep:
    As you say picture, I've rarely seen a photograph that makes me feel that I am witnessing genius but I have felt that with paintings:

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/magritte/magritte51.JPG

The Lovers- Rene Magritte. This was painted in 1928. It is an incredibly brave painting - cloths covering faces may instantly make you think of a dead body being shrouded. Yet its otherwise conventional presentation, of 2 people in love seemingly proudly looking at the viewer, makes it even more disconcerting. It is a matter of fact mystery like all of Magritte's paintings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tori-Ilana)
    One of the most moving pictures I have ever seen in my life

http://isurvived.org/Pictures_iSurvi...T-2corpses.GIF

It's from the holocaust :/

Nobody should ever forget or deny that event.... EVER

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.