Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, those kitten pictures are properly heart-wrenching. The look in the cats eyes in the 2nd pic, that's really hard to look at without a deep saddening. I've got 10 3 week old kittens at the moment and I don't even like seeing them seperated from the mothers/siblings when they go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    He volunteered to do all of that. If he thought the army was going to be all fun and games, he made a serious misjudgement.

To the OP: I think the most moving photograph for me would either be the lone civilian who held up the tanks in Tianenmen Square, the man about to be shot in Vietnam, the children fleeing their napalm stricken village, or the Buddhist monk protesting against the South Vietnamese government. There are, of course, many others, but those are the ones which I immediately think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Doesn't matter who it is, animal cruelty is always much worse than abuse on a human. Animals can't defend themselves against a human in any way and they have no idea what's happening to them because they cannot comprehend what's going on. That makes it much worse. If it was for example extreme abuse on a woman, child or a retard then it could compare to animal abuse, but usually it's much worse to hear about animals being treated badly than for a person. If you heard a story where a dog was kept locked in a bathroom for months, alone and barely being fed or given water and were severely underweight and on the verge of dying of starvation and then heard the same but about a child, which would affect you more? Personally it would be the dog that affects me more.
    me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    You know what, nothing in this thread made me even vaguely upset - until I saw the ducks thing :cry: I (almost) shed my first tear for > year - I don't even like animals that much. & yeah I googled the story and some people opened up the drain cover and got them out.
    I'm glad to see there was a happy outcome

ReputationRep:

I think that the chernobyl pictures are seriously ghostly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)

I think that the chernobyl pictures are seriously ghostly
    What's that first one of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPat)
    What's that first one of?
    It was during the 'hostel wars' (a nickname given to the violence) in south africa's townships in the run up to the 1994 elections. It was violence between the ANC supporters and the IFP supporters.

The man in the photo was surrounded by a group of ANC youths after getting off a train on his way to/from work, and pulled into ANC territory (They claimed he was an Inkatha spy). He was beaten, stabbed, set alight and was still alive when the he was clubbed with a machete.

ReputationRep:
    For terrifying in painting, Francis Bacon's paintings of Pope Innocent X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    You do know that moving and inspirational mean different things?
    fair enough, but i mean i personally do not find a starving child inspirational, i find it moving but not inspirational. Just makes me sad......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samstoo93)
    fair enough, but i mean i personally do not find a starving child inspirational, i find it moving but not inspirational. Just makes me sad......
    i dont know why you keep saying this. the title of the thread is 'most moving picture', so why are you banging on about inspiration? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    i dont know why you keep saying this. the title of the thread is 'most moving picture', so why are you banging on about inspiration? :confused:
    because other comments on here are describing the pictures as "inspirational"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage.
    Suicide in the name of something is just suicide.
    Isn't that the name of a Fall Out Boy song? Oh dear :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Isn't that the name of a Fall Out Boy song? Oh dear :teehee:
    No, it's actually panic at the disco. But it's still very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    It was during the 'hostel wars' (a nickname given to the violence) in south africa's townships in the run up to the 1994 elections. It was violence between the ANC supporters and the IFP supporters.

The man in the photo was surrounded by a group of ANC youths after getting off a train on his way to/from work, and pulled into ANC territory (They claimed he was an Inkatha spy). He was beaten, stabbed, set alight and was still alive when the he was clubbed with a machete.
    Wow. Humans are just pure evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPat)
    Wow. Humans are just pure evil.
    Wow, take it easy with the generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlesworth)

There are so many moving photographs

Just can't imagine what was going through their minds.
    Even after seeing it so many times this picture still makes me extremely uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Crissy, Dean and Linda Damm,
    Llano, California, USA, 1994
    By Mary Ellen Mark

"In 1994 I returned to photograph the Damm family for David Friend at Life magazine. Their living conditions were even worse than when I first met them in 1987. Linda and Dean had two more children, Ashley, 6, and Summer, 4, and immediately noticed how much better Dean was to his own children. He always treated Crissy and Jesse terribly. He screamed at Jesse constantly and one day even shaved off the boy’s hair because he got some tar in it.
    The whole family was squatting in a dilapidated, deserted ranch house. It was located in a canyon in the high desert about three hours outside of Los Angeles. Dean and Linda were heavily into drugs, mostly speed. The children were not in school. There was a general atmosphere of chaos and destruction.
    The house was filthy. There was no running water and no electricity. Dean and Linda had adopted about twenty dogs. Some of them were fed, while the others roamed the hills killing rabbits or whatever they could find.
    I stayed at a motel down the road. Very early every morning, I would arrive at the house. This photograph of Linda, Dean, and Crissy was taken one of those mornings. I was shocked at the scene I found. The expression on Crissy’s face said everything. I didn’t know what to do, but I decided I had to take this photograph. I later asked Crissy if Dean was abusing her. She vehemently denied it. I spoke to the social worker who refused to believe what I sensed.
    Some months later, Crissy finally admitted that Dean was sexually abusing her. Linda took the kids and left him. What most disturbed Dean when he saw this photograph published was that his marijuana pipe and gear were visible in the frame."

Link to website/text.
    reminds me of this:

Tamika is the 3 year old daughter of Theodora, a heroin addict. Johnny brushes Tamika's teeth with a toothbrush she is sharing this day with Theodora, who is HIV-positive. After noticing that her own gums were bleeding, Theodora asked him to clean Tamika's teeth first.

Part of a series of photos entitled 'Orphans of Addiction', which won the 1998 Pulitzer Prize. The rest can be found here, I recommend you guys look, it's powerful stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)

The kittens were shot and mutilated/cut open by people, the mum tries to lick them to wake them up.
    what's the story with the woman and the old photo of the cat? Was she a bystander?

(Original post by H.JJJ)

Nobody should ever forget or deny that event.... EVER
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    I find that worrying. You would find it more upsetting that a dog was locked away with no food or water, than a child?! Your own species? I find that very disturbing personally...

I'm not saying I don't find animal abuse upsetting, I do, but not as much as human... because its my own species. It makes no sense to have the same feeling for other species.
    Speciesism, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Haha, you're so cute when you're angry. So you're saying it was out of protest, but wasn't supposed to be seen? Contradictory much?
    I still haven't heard a convincing argument from you, but a lot of verbal abuse.
    I don't understand your entire argument. Even if he only did it because the cameras were there, so what? Clearly if a camera crew from an international media company were recording the lengths to which people will go to stop the horrific massacre that was happening in Vietnam there's a bigger chance that something might be done about it? Are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't do the same if it would increase the chances of thousands more people not being killed by a disgusting dictator?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.