Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most moving picture youve ever seen watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    I know, sometimes it pains me how ignorant some people can be...how can they not know these stuff?! :sadnod:
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    I'm an animal lover so i can understand why photos of animals in distress can be as distressing as seeing humans in that position...but more so?? more upsetting than famine striken/injured/dying children, for example? i find that confusing.
    Yes, because humans have inflicted so much destruction and misery upon this earth that I can't have the same empathy as I would for a voiceless animal.

I find it confusing too, and can't even begin to explain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    What are you on about, I've seen loads the same size or bigger and what is it doing to the page, maybe you have a small screen..
    Its too wide; it causes the text to go off the screen, meaning you have to scroll along on overy page you post on. My screen size is normal. Maybe you have a gigantic plasma screen or something. Thanks for the neg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    You have something very wrong with you if you genuinely do find images of animal abuse more upsetting than humans. Don't get me wrong, its upsetting. But I get a lot more distressed by seeing and hearing of abuse to humans. Children can't defend themselves at all. The bit in bold is the most ridiculous statement ever.
    I don't have anything wrong with me and I agree with most of the post.

I am upset when I see abuse of animals, children and anyone who is completely voiceless. Tell me how a caged/chained up/beaten/starved animal can defend themselves?

The point is that humans have the potential to harm so much, and be so selfish and awful. Most awful things on this earth are caused by us. So yes, I have less empathy for us.

Take a story of a soldier and his dog. The soldier dies in front of his dog, and the same day the dog curls up and dies. Not because he has been hit, but because of the devistation that his master has died. What human would do that? We would care, but we would get over it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ll-master.html

But then again I think it's easier to put yourselves in another humans shoes than an animal, so I understand why you can't fathom my feelings.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnarchistNutter)
    Its too wide; it causes the text to go off the screen, meaning you have to scroll along on overy page you post on. My screen size is normal. Maybe you have a gigantic plasma screen or something. Thanks for the neg.
    I didn't neg you :confused:

My images are one on top of the other so I have no idea how it stretches the screen. If more people complain I'll put it in a spoiler.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPat)
    This gave me shivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    You have something very wrong with you if you genuinely do find images of animal abuse more upsetting than humans. Don't get me wrong, its upsetting. But I get a lot more distressed by seeing and hearing of abuse to humans. Children can't defend themselves at all. The bit in bold is the most ridiculous statement ever.
    Doesn't matter who it is, animal cruelty is always much worse than abuse on a human. Animals can't defend themselves against a human in any way and they have no idea what's happening to them because they cannot comprehend what's going on. That makes it much worse. If it was for example extreme abuse on a woman, child or a retard then it could compare to animal abuse, but usually it's much worse to hear about animals being treated badly than for a person. If you heard a story where a dog was kept locked in a bathroom for months, alone and barely being fed or given water and were severely underweight and on the verge of dying of starvation and then heard the same but about a child, which would affect you more? Personally it would be the dog that affects me more.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    Yeah, sticking in stills from Black Hawk Down kind of takes the edge off that post.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if somebody has said it already, but this one. It was on a magazine cover just after the attacks.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:0,s:0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Thank you for saving me from the vomiting spell that was about to come over me due to the sheer self-importance of this thread and the posters within it.

We get it, you all think people are crap. Now please stop trying to depress everyone with all your 'moving' pictures.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Crissy, Dean and Linda Damm,
    Llano, California, USA, 1994
    By Mary Ellen Mark

"In 1994 I returned to photograph the Damm family for David Friend at Life magazine. Their living conditions were even worse than when I first met them in 1987. Linda and Dean had two more children, Ashley, 6, and Summer, 4, and immediately noticed how much better Dean was to his own children. He always treated Crissy and Jesse terribly. He screamed at Jesse constantly and one day even shaved off the boy’s hair because he got some tar in it.
    The whole family was squatting in a dilapidated, deserted ranch house. It was located in a canyon in the high desert about three hours outside of Los Angeles. Dean and Linda were heavily into drugs, mostly speed. The children were not in school. There was a general atmosphere of chaos and destruction.
    The house was filthy. There was no running water and no electricity. Dean and Linda had adopted about twenty dogs. Some of them were fed, while the others roamed the hills killing rabbits or whatever they could find.
    I stayed at a motel down the road. Very early every morning, I would arrive at the house. This photograph of Linda, Dean, and Crissy was taken one of those mornings. I was shocked at the scene I found. The expression on Crissy’s face said everything. I didn’t know what to do, but I decided I had to take this photograph. I later asked Crissy if Dean was abusing her. She vehemently denied it. I spoke to the social worker who refused to believe what I sensed.
    Some months later, Crissy finally admitted that Dean was sexually abusing her. Linda took the kids and left him. What most disturbed Dean when he saw this photograph published was that his marijuana pipe and gear were visible in the frame."

Link to website/text.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Thank you for saving me from the vomiting spell that was about to come over me due to the sheer self-importance of this thread and the posters within it.

We get it, you all think people are crap. Now please stop trying to depress everyone with all your 'moving' pictures.

:rolleyes:
    If I was going to have posted a serious picture, it would have been:

I don't see how a picture of a dead person who you don't know is moving really. Would you people feel the same if I showed you a picture of a squashed ant?

ReputationRep:
    This has probably already been posted multiple times, can't be bothered to look through the whole thread, but I've always found this picture very moving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    What the hell!?

You should have spoilered that.
    Nope they should it most deff have not have a spoiler.

ReputationRep:
    The one with 3 firemen raising the American flag in the ruins of 9/11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    If I was going to have posted a serious picture, it would have been:

I don't see how a picture of a dead person who you don't is moving really. Would you people feel the same if I showed you a picture of a squashed ant?
    That's not really the point to be honest. No doubt, dead people are 'moving'. But that is simply not the full scope of human society. Why are sad pictures more 'moving' than happy ones or pictures that show great feats of human ingenuity? To be honest, they 'move' me far more than all these pictures of death simply because people bombard me with them too much. TV does it, newspapers do it, and now we're getting it on TSR.

Even those pictures of space with the Earth as a random blue speck in a sea of darkness are meant to cultivate some kind of 'we are nothing' belief in people. Yes, we live on a very small planet, but so what? That just makes it all the more remarkable that we even exist. The sheer statistical improbability of a planet with the exact conditions that the Earth has, and that an organism such us would develop on it is incredible. Human beings are special because of the improbability of this.

So the way everyone in this thread is trying to demean the scope of human feeling into being things that involve death is pretty annoying, and quite frankly, rather boring.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting that most of the pictures on here are from events that have taken place in the last decade. Undoubtedly for me the most harrowing are those depicting the atrocities of WW2 and the Holocaust. It's a shame; only those pictures that stay with us for the rest of our lives are truly worthy of this thread, yet it won't be long before many of these photos are forgotten.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.