Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    That's not really the point to be honest. No doubt, dead people are 'moving'. But that is simply not the full scope of human society. Why are sad pictures more 'moving' than happy ones or pictures that show great feats of human ingenuity? To be honest, they 'move' me far more than all these pictures of death simply because people bombard me with them too much. TV does it, newspapers do it, and now we're getting it on TSR.

Even those pictures of space with the Earth as a random blue speck in a sea of darkness are meant to cultivate some kind of 'we are nothing' belief in people. Yes, we live on a very small planet, but so what? That just makes it all the more remarkable that we even exist. The sheer statistical improbability of a planet with the exact conditions that the Earth has, and that an organism such us would develop on it is incredible. Human beings are special because of the improbability of this.

So the way everyone in this thread is trying to demean the scope of human feeling into being things that involve death is pretty annoying, and quite frankly, rather boring.
    " That just makes it all the more remarkable that we even exist. The sheer statistical improbability of a planet with the exact conditions that the Earth has, and that an organism such us would develop on it is incredible. Human beings are special because of the improbability of this."

That's pretty much my reason for posting it, not to make people realise how significant we are. Well it is I suppose, but in a positive way. Earth isn't relevant really to my picture, neither are humans. I could keep posting pictures of bigger things to prove the last one is insignificant in comparison, but it's pointless to just look at things in this way. Don't look at these images and compare them to Earth..to humans, just admire. Don't limit the speciality to humans, but to life in general. We are insignificant, whether you like it or not. I don't see this as a bad thing, and only people who want to feel important will probably see it as a bad thing (which, consciously or not, is probably the majority). the "negativity" of certain words needs to be removed from society, like weird, strange, short, ugly. But this isn't possible due to the human nature of being self conscious. If you knew someone thought you were ugly, or if someone said you were ugly, you would feel upset because you would come to the conclusion that because they think you are ugly, they think less of you. This might not be the case. But it might be, people are shallow, and again, whether conscious of it or otherwise, people do judge people based off their looks even if they have no desire to mate with them.

I don't know where my rant is going or why I'm talking about what I am so I'm going now, bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Doesn't matter who it is, animal cruelty is always much worse than abuse on a human. Animals can't defend themselves against a human in any way and they have no idea what's happening to them because they cannot comprehend what's going on. That makes it much worse. If it was for example extreme abuse on a woman, child or a retard then it could compare to animal abuse, but usually it's much worse to hear about animals being treated badly than for a person. If you heard a story where a dog was kept locked in a bathroom for months, alone and barely being fed or given water and were severely underweight and on the verge of dying of starvation and then heard the same but about a child, which would affect you more? Personally it would be the dog that affects me more.
    I find that worrying. You would find it more upsetting that a dog was locked away with no food or water, than a child?! Your own species? I find that very disturbing personally...

I'm not saying I don't find animal abuse upsetting, I do, but not as much as human... because its my own species. It makes no sense to have the same feeling for other species.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguy%E1...4%83n_L%C3%A9m
    (Original post by CB91)
    I didn't know that. If you get the source then I'd definately give a read.
    Not exactly my source. But this is from wiki.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Wow. What a stupid thing to do. :eyebrow:

Edit: @negs: Why do you think it's a clever or brave thing to do? He's given away the only life he has to prove a point. Not that clever imo.
    What would you do in protest of something then? Sit on your ass and complain anonymously on the internet no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    What would you do in protest of something then? Sit on your ass and complain anonymously on the internet no doubt.
    LOL better than killing myself though. "Oh yeah I really want to make a point. Where's the camera-guy so I can burn myself to death?". Is that not stupid?!

ReputationRep:
    LOL better than killing myself though.
    Yeah right, you've got so much influence on the internet don't you? That picture will be around forever and it will always be powerful. Your silly little comments will disappear soon enough and nothing you ever say will even be remotely as important as that photograph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    This has probably already been posted multiple times, can't be bothered to look through the whole thread, but I've always found this picture very moving.

...beat me to it.

The Japan one above though...that tore me a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    I don't have anything wrong with me and I agree with most of the post.

I am upset when I see abuse of animals, children and anyone who is completely voiceless. Tell me how a caged/chained up/beaten/starved animal can defend themselves?

The point is that humans have the potential to harm so much, and be so selfish and awful. Most awful things on this earth are caused by us. So yes, I have less empathy for us.

Take a story of a soldier and his dog. The soldier dies in front of his dog, and the same day the dog curls up and dies. Not because he has been hit, but because of the devistation that his master has died. What human would do that? We would care, but we would get over it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ll-master.html

But then again I think it's easier to put yourselves in another humans shoes than an animal, so I understand why you can't fathom my feelings.
    I didn't say that animals can defend themselves, but the guy I quoted was basically saying that all humans can defend themselves, and that they deserve it Which I found very strange...
    And I really don't see the relevance of the link. It's sad... not hugely though. I dunno, I just don't get distraught over the death of a dog, I find the soldiers death more upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah right, you've got so much influence on the internet don't you? That picture will be around forever and it will always be powerful. Your silly little comments will disappear soon enough and nothing you ever say will even be remotely as important as that photograph.
    So you'd kill yourself in front of camera to make a point? really?

ReputationRep:
    So you'd kill yourself in front of camera to make a point? really?
    Wow. If that's why you think he set himself on fire you really must be unbelievably dense.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. If that's why you think he set himself on fire you really must be unbelievably dense.
    So, are you going to tell me?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. What a stupid thing to do. :eyebrow:

Edit: @negs: Why do you think it's a clever or brave thing to do? He's given away the only life he has to prove a point. Not that clever imo.
    Actually the whole uproar in the middle east was sparked off by the exact same act when a young man burned himself in protest against the Tunisian government - and he was successful in generating hope for millions of Arabs being oppressed that one can truly speak out against tyrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)

This is not the pic but it accurately describes the scene in Gaza without showing you dead bodies of Children.

PLEASE DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT.

Spoiler:
    Show

OMG what was that spoiler image from? What event?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Here's a follow up story, around 20 years later.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...irl/index-text

Those eyes still feel like they're staring in to my soul.
    It's a shame she never smiled.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Yeah interesting pics, but lets not forget he is being paid to do that job, and he is doing it out of choice. When you say that, the images don't really have the same effect.
    Still takes a lot to do that job. It takes a lot to sign up to that job. It takes a lot to do that job and not to crack and to see and do the things that they have to do, to be ready to put your life on the line to save people you have never met and fight and die for your country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    Actually the whole uproar in the middle east was sparked off by the exact same act when a young man burned himself in protest against the Tunisian government - and he was successful in generating hope for millions of Arabs being oppressed that one can truly speak out against tyrants.
    But how was he to know at that point that it would have that effect?

ReputationRep:
    I would have posted the Vietnam ones, but they're already posted. So many of these posts are so moving (and I'm not one which is easily moved!)

A lot of the 9/11 pictures are just unreal... but the aftermath photos are so moving. So many innocent people were affected by the terrible event.

The destruction of Hiroshima (and Nagasaki) is just horrific, it shows the minimal power nuclear weapons will have, as seen as it was the atom bomb...

There's another photo, which I can't find, of a man dying in the 'no mans land' between East and West Berlin- neither side can go help him (west fear the east will fire, and east don't care as that's the law).

ReputationRep:
    Not a picture, but ya know.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly this:

ReputationRep:
    And btw it looks like you would rather sit anon on the internet most of your life. Over 4200 posts. The irony.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.