Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Have you no respect for them? It actually saved them, as the picture gained attention worldwide and the US had to step in. Thus the War the Vietnam(plus a number of other things).
    How was he to know that it would have this effect though?

ReputationRep:
    Probably a .gif.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    The two back-to-back pictures of the same mysterious Afghan girl did tear me up, actually. It really shows how life can really break someone down.

(Original post by ussumane)
    This one?

This picture is so sad, for a very different reason. It was completely misunderstood, and it destroyed a man's career and life. See this and scroll down for the full story. I nearly cried when I read the actual story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Even those pictures of space with the Earth as a random blue speck in a sea of darkness are meant to cultivate some kind of 'we are nothing' belief in people. Yes, we live on a very small planet, but so what? That just makes it all the more remarkable that we even exist. The sheer statistical improbability of a planet with the exact conditions that the Earth has, and that an organism such us would develop on it is incredible. Human beings are special because of the improbability of this.
    I'm not sure where you've got this alternate view of insignificance with regards to the 'speck' picture': my initial thought was that it was moving in terms of wonder, rather than insignificance, and I'm pretty sure that's what the people that posted it were getting at as well. In terms of everything else, agreed, there is a lot of depressing stuff on here, but it is moving, as you've said. We are human, and we react to it. It's not self-important, it is what it is. I see your point about an excessive focus on death, but you have to acknowledge the suffering on show here. Over-exposure to death and suffering shouldn't trivialise it; I think your reaction shows that you have become numb to the power of the things on show in this thread. But fair doos, I actually agree with you: there should be more awe-inspiring and positive things here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    And btw it looks like you would rather sit anon on the internet most of your life. Over 4200 posts. The irony.
    Desperate defense of your ridiculous thoughts. I don't act anonymously on the internet by the way so good effort but try again.

ReputationRep:
    Glad the thread is being allowed to stay this time. Last time we had something similar, TSR mods deleted it because the pictures were deemed to be 'too adult.'

ReputationRep:
    Despite the negative reputation for the previous Mary Ellen Mark photo I posted (meh, at least tell me what your criticisms are) I'm posting another.

Girl sifting through Ashes at the Burning Ghats, Benares, India, 1989

"People from all over the world come to die in Benares or are brought there by their family members after they die. Manikarnika Chat, on the banks of the Ganges River, is the largest cremation ground in India. Those who wish to die in Benares come and stay in hospices nearby. When they die, their male relatives carry them on biers through the narrow streets leading down to the river. When they arrive at the Ghat with the body, the Doms (or keepers of the ghats) take over.
    Very early every morning, a group of the Doms’ children sort through the smoldering coals for treasure. This photograph is of a Doms’ child looking through the ashes for remnants of gold from rings and teeth. She is oblivious to the blinding smoke around her."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    I'm not sure where you've got this alternate view of insignificance with regards to the 'speck' picture': my initial thought was that it was moving in terms of wonder, rather than insignificance, and I'm pretty sure that's what the people that posted it were getting at as well. In terms of everything else, agreed, there is a lot of depressing stuff on here, but it is moving, as you've said. We are human, and we react to it. It's not self-important, it is what it is. I see your point about an excessive focus on death, but you have to acknowledge the suffering on show here. Over-exposure to death and suffering shouldn't trivialise it; I think your reaction shows that you have become numb to the power of the things on show in this thread. But fair doos, I actually agree with you: there should be more awe-inspiring and positive things here.
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I've just had too many people show me that (in)famous Carl Sagan video and be like 'OMG! It's opened my eyes, humanity is so ****ing crap and insignificant' :rolleyes:

But agreed, more cool stuff needs to be posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpthroughtime)
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...4859049530.jpg

it's not really one photo, but it's the only thing that's coming to my mind at the moment of something that had me in tears
    I welled up, im not gonna lie.

ReputationRep:
    What about the picture of a Palestenian man crouching against the wall protecting his child just as Israeli soldiers shot them both killing them......I'll try and find it....

ReputationRep:

Edit: Also notice that loads of the other pictures uploaded on this thread could have exactly the same message.
    I'm trying to imagine a world without Photoshop, but the left third of that image is making this all but imposssible.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Vietnamese women and children seconds before being killed in the My Lai massacre by a unit of the United States Army. Makes me feel sick everytime I see it just from the fear on their faces.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a lot to choose from, but I'd not yet seen this in the thread: I cant express how incredibly proud to be British I am when i see photo's like this. It goes some way in expressing the gratitude that i feel for these great and proud men who sacrificed so much for their country. I cant help but feel that this is all too often forgotten

However, theres a lot of bad things in the world, but i think its important to smile once in a while...
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UXXtCpkeKi...catpigeons.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samstoo93)
    Altough i recognise the sadness many of these pictures bring, very few of the ones posted on here are INSPIRATIONAL.
    You do know that moving and inspirational mean different things?

ReputationRep:
    The video actually made me cry :sad:

ReputationRep:
    probably either one of the earth from space i used to have in a book that was kind of moving because it made you realise the vastness of the world

or pictures of me and my dad before he died, because it reminds me that although he's not here anymore i still enjoyed knowing him and he still influences my life

the majority of people seem to have posted war ones, some of them are really shocking, especially the ones with children

ReputationRep:
    How was he to know that it would have this effect though?
    Are you actually retarded? Did your parents drop you on your head as a baby? Do you really think that Buddhist monk was all about fame and notority? Do you think he thought "Oh hey, there's a camera maybe I'll get on the front page of OK! magazine this week if I burn myself to death!1!1111!!"

I'm genuinely shocked by your lack of common sense and your utterly moronic view that he burnt himself to death JUST because a camera was there. You've rendered me speechless with your stupidity. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlesworth)

Just can't imagine what was going through their minds.

At the end of the novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, this image is used in a flip-book manner, except in reverse.

Foer writes in the words of Oskar, now a ten-year-old boy, "...I found the pictures of the falling body. I ripped the pages out of the book. I reversed the order, so the last one was first, and the first was last. When I flipped through them, it looked like the man was floating up through the sky."

That imagery moved me quite a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.