Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So.. the question that has puzzled people for a very long time. What's your opinion, what do you think came first the Chicken or the Egg? (with reasons)

I was thinking that, scientifically, the Egg must have came first due to evolution. A chicken-like creature, that is extremely similar to a chicken but wouldn't technically class as one, must have laid the egg that was a chicken.

EDIT: Specifically, I mean which came first the CHICKEN'S EGG, or the CHICKEN. Not just any kind of egg - that would be a pointless question.

ReputationRep:
    The egg.

At one point during the evolution that lead up to a chicken there must have been a slightly less chicken like creatur giving birth to a slightly more chicken like creature.

So I agree with you =P
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I also agree, unless the chicken-like creature thing was exposed to radiation and changed genetically.....

I'll stick to your explaination

ReputationRep:
    Amphibians like newts and frogs lay eggs too and evolved way before chickens, therefore eggs came first.
    Problem solved!

ReputationRep:
    But how could the egg have come first? There is no egg without the presence of a chicken! It's like askin whether a human or a baby came first.

ReputationRep:
    I say chicken... evolved from another species whilst cut off from the original population. Therefore a restricted flow of alleles etc etc... im thinking founder effect or genetic bottleneck. Who knows? Ask AQA biology.

WHY THE NEGS?

ReputationRep:
    The problem is evolution is such a slow gradual process that at which stage do we define this creature to specifically be a 'chicken'? In what crucial way does it vary from its parents such that it deserves to be in a whole new species? And if it's a new species, it wouldn't, by definition, be able to breed with other 'chickens' from its parents generation. I doubt that there was ever a stage where this happened for most if not all organisms, so you see your question is like asking 'if I drop grains of sand onto one another, at which point does it become a pile? Why was it not a pile with one less grain of sand seeing as it's indistinguishable?' The problem lies in terminology, not evolution theory and not logic. If we say one specific generation was born 'chickens' then the change between the 'chickens' offspring and the 'chickens' must also be sufficient to warrant denoting it an entirely new species!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't lambast them, its a serious medical problem.

ReputationRep:
    The egg, because of evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    The problem is evolution is such a slow gradual process that at which stage do we define this creature to specifically be a 'chicken'? In what crucial way does it vary from its parents such that it deserves to be in a whole new species? And if it's a new species, it wouldn't, by definition, be able to breed with other 'chickens' from its parents generation. I doubt that there was ever a stage where this happened for most if not all organisms, so you see your question is like asking 'if I drop grains of sand onto one another, at which point does it become a pile? Why was it not a pile with one less grain of sand seeing as it's indistinguishable?' The problem lies in terminology, not evolution theory and not logic. If we say one specific generation was born 'chickens' then the change between the 'chickens' offspring and the 'chickens' must also be sufficient to warrant denoting it an entirely new species!
    Lucid explanation cleared a whole lotta boggle out from my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne-marie)
    Amphibians like newts and frogs lay eggs too and evolved way before chickens, therefore eggs came first.
    Problem solved!
    Those aren't eggs, those are spawn.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It must have been the egg. The aliens sent down the egg from the planet Chicken to fool the dinosaurs into nurturing it until it hatched. Then when it did hatch, the chicken ran around and ate all the dinosaurs in the world.

So the moral of the story is: no matter how awesome chickens are, NEVER TRUST AN UNHATCHED EGG!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Damn you! I was gonna post that pic XD

ReputationRep:
    The egg. I just imagine there to be a little egg with a gold light emanating from it in a black sky, before the start of time.

Time begins and the egg cracks open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Those aren't eggs, those are spawn.
    There are a few amphibians that give live birth, but most lay eggs.
    Anyway birds are supposed to have evolved from early reptiles, which also prodominantly lay eggs, e.g. alligators, snakes, iguanas, etc.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few amphibians that give live birth, but most lay eggs.
    Anyway birds are supposed to have evolved from early reptiles, which also prodominantly lay eggs, e.g. alligators, snakes, iguanas, etc.
    The question isn't anything to do with alligator's, or any other reptiles egg.

The question is whether there first existed a chicken which laid the first egg or a chicken's egg out of which hatched the first chicken.

The answer is the chicken, since the protein required to make the first chicken egg's eggshell can only be produced in the ovaries of an adult hen. No chicken = no egg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    The question isn't anything to do with alligator's, or any other reptiles egg.

The question is whether there first existed a chicken which laid the first egg or a chicken's egg out of which hatched the first chicken.

The answer is the chicken, since the protein required to make the first chicken egg's eggshell can only be produced in the ovaries of an adult hen. No chicken = no egg.
    The question was clearly which came first the chicken or the egg, not "whether there first existed a chicken which laid the first egg or a chicken's egg out of which ... blah blah". If you feel the need to check this its printed above every post thats been made on this thread!!

ReputationRep:
    The question was clearly which came first the chicken or the egg, not "whether there first existed a chicken which laid the first egg or a chicken's egg out of which ... blah blah". If you feel the need to check this its printed above every post thats been made on this thread!!
    :facepalm:

Sorry but if the question really was whether eggs in general existed before chickens there would be NO POINT in asking the question. No philosophical thought experiment.

If that was the actual question it was proved decades ago when they discovered dinosaurs laid eggs, it wouldn't even be worth ever asking the question if that was the case.

Stupidity of people astounds me sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    They both arrived on earth at the same time when god put them there

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.