Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    yeh but i don't define it as an egg that contains a chicken embryo. otherwise whenever you see an egg you'd have to wait for it to hatch (or cut it open) to decide what type of egg it is which is clearly ridiculous. going further along those lines any unfertilised egg could only ever be classed as simply an egg, whether it was laid by an ostrich, chicken, duck or woodpecker.
    I know... It's complicated... But then an egg could be laid by a sparrow and something entirely different hatch; then what kind of egg is it? (Btw I'm a biologist and not an idiot and therefore know this just doesn't happen, but just a thought.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    I know... It's complicated... But then an egg could be laid by a sparrow and something entirely different hatch; then what kind of egg is it? (Btw I'm a biologist and not an idiot and therefore know this just doesn't happen, but just a thought.)

lol yeh this whole question has the issue that one species will never give birth to another (new) species (well to my knowledge)

i think i'd still class it as a sparrow egg :/ as a biologist how do they usually define it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    lol yeh this whole question has the issue that one species will never give birth to another (new) species (well to my knowledge)

i think i'd still class it as a sparrow egg :/ as a biologist how do they usually define it?
    I don't know :/ I know a 'chicken egg' would be the unfertilised gamete inside the chicken, before it has any of the male's DNA, because that quite clearly belongs only to mummy chicken.

But as for the fertilised, bird-containing egg, I can't find any real definition, only philosophical 'it all depends how we define...' stuff.

Hmmmmmm. I like this question :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    HAHA, Go Chicken !

ReputationRep:
    Its been proven that its the chicken Yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    **** THIS **** ! LOL

WHY IS THERE EARTH, WHY ARE WE HERE, WHY DO I HAVE EARSSS

JHezuusss
    You need to chill out.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum. :sexface:

(Sorry! Couldn'r resist. xD)

ReputationRep:
    It was the egg. Some animal that wasn't quite a chicken layed an egg that was a bit mutated but what we now call a chicken. Then the chicken hatched. There can't have been a chicken without an egg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guidefox)
    But how could the egg have come first? There is no egg without the presence of a chicken! It's like askin whether a human or a baby came first.
    The egg could have come from another species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benmaster)
    So.. the question that has puzzled people for a very long time. What's your opinion, what do you think came first the Chicken or the Egg? (with reasons)

I was thinking that, scientifically, the Egg must have came first due to evolution. A chicken-like creature, that is extremely similar to a chicken but wouldn't technically class as one, must have laid the egg that was a chicken.

EDIT: Specifically, I mean which came first the CHICKEN'S EGG, or the CHICKEN. Not just any kind of egg - that would be a pointless question.
    It's the chicken, obviously. The pre-chicken mutated to become a chicken was contained inside a pre-chicken egg, which had the DNA of a pre-chicken.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to read all pages so I don't know if it's been said.

It's really simple.

Birds evolved from reptiles. The first chicken would have come from an egg laid by a reptile. Fact. No way around this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    I can't be bothered to read all pages so I don't know if it's been said.

It's really simple.

Birds evolved from reptiles. The first chicken would have come from an egg laid by a reptile. Fact. No way around this.
    nahhhh defo the chickenn read this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38238685...ience-science/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.