Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hitching from London to Dover , best motorway route? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I need to start hitching from London to Dover; any tips on where to start?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    Hi,
    London-Dover
    Try the A2 is an A Road that goes from London to Dover.

ReputationRep:
    You're CRAZY! Be careful you don't get raped/murdered/eaten alive/kidnapped

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to hitch to dover for? Just asking out of curiosity
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    You're CRAZY! Be careful you don't get raped/murdered/eaten alive/kidnapped
    Every year thousands of students hitch-hike from their uni to Morocco. Its pretty safe - everyone just thinks its dangerous because of that sodding poem everyone studies in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Every year thousands of students hitch-hike from their uni to Morocco. Its pretty safe - everyone just thinks its dangerous because of that sodding poem everyone studies in English.
    I never studied any poem in english about hitch hiking. Just the idea of locking yourself in a car with a stranger - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Literally makes me shiver. Perhaps that's because I hate people though

ReputationRep:
    Down the M20.

ReputationRep:
    Hitching isn't dangerous atall, it really depends where you start from. I've even hitched home from a nightclub with a mate, saved me £15 on the taxi although i'm sure the drive was drunk. Just wrap up warm and keep your wits about.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, Don't go hitching. That is not safe. At first when you said hitch , I thought catch a ride with mates or family or something like that.

Watch yourself OP especially if you are female.

ReputationRep:
    Haha Hitcher right? Thank god their scrapping the whole anthology out of the syllabus now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I need to start hitching from London to Dover; any tips on where to start?

Cheers
    I'm guessing you're hitching to Prague/Morocco.

Anyway, get a piece of cardboard and write, "DOVER" on it quite clearly; stand by the roadside with your thumb out.

Your best bet is to move out of central London and into a quieter area near a major A road though. People in rush hour traffic couldn't give a monkey's face about hitchers.

ReputationRep:
    Either M20 then onto the A20 to Dover, or A2, onto M2, onto A2. I don't know much about the M20 route, but with the M2 route, you might find getting someone going to Canterbury easier, and then from there someone else going to Dover. There is a service station and layby just before the exit to Canterbury where you can be dropped off, and then wait for someone else to pick you up.

ReputationRep:
    I have never done hitchhiking... but I'd have thought that if you can get to one of the service stations on the M25 (make sure it's the correct direction) you could potentially have a lot of traffic going from the Midlands or North to Dover going past you. Particularly lorries. Who knows, you might even be lucky enough to find one which is going to somewhere like Spain, and get the offer of a lift on from Calais!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your help Any other inputs are welcome

Yes, I'm hitching for a charity to Amsterdam.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your help Any other inputs are welcome

Yes, I'm hitching for a charity to Amsterdam.
    I have no idea if this is worth a go, but there's also ferries from Harwich (similar dist from London to Dover) to the Hook of Holland (a lot closer to Amsterdam than Calais) ... I imagine it's quieter than Dover though so I don't know how your chances would compare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I have no idea if this is worth a go, but there's also ferries from Harwich (similar dist from London to Dover) to the Hook of Holland (a lot closer to Amsterdam than Calais) ... I imagine it's quieter than Dover though so I don't know how your chances would compare!
    Thanks but I really want to go in France first

ReputationRep:
    whats the point in hitch hiking to dover from london????...get the ****ing train to kent and then a £2.10 bus ticket to dover, you cheapskate.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have to like sign out of uni? So then you'd be going from uni?

ReputationRep:
    lol "hitcher" poem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.