Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Glasgow or Peninsula? Watch

• View Poll Results: Glasgow or Peninsula?
    Glasgow
    68.42%
    Peninsula
    31.58%

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it quite difficult to make up my mind

Glasgow- prefer the course since it has more lectures + dissection
    - get shifted around loads during years 4 + 5 although at peninsula I would have to move again after 2nd year

Peninsula- feel I would fit in better since the student life seems less fixated on clubbing/drinking than at glasgow
    - I really didnt feel at home at glasgow i.e the accent + culture was quite different- so would I get used to it?

ReputationRep:
    Come glasgow! You're gonna be moving around loads wherever you go, from what I've read there isn't a huge focus on drinking/clubbing in glasgow so long as you don't get accomodation at murano.

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I'd choose Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    If it was me, I'd choose Glasgow
    What made you say glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Radiohead)
    Come glasgow! You're gonna be moving around loads wherever you go, from what I've read there isn't a huge focus on drinking/clubbing in glasgow so long as you don't get accomodation at murano.
    Thanks for your reply

Why do you prefer Glasgow over Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactive Blob)
    Peninsula- feel I would fit in better since the student life seems less fixated on clubbing/drinking than at glasgow
    Depends on whether you get put on the Plymouth campus or the Exeter campus.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is amazing. I have friends at uni there and after going up was really disappointed I hadn't applied.

If you prefer the course up there, that's what really matters IMO. Don't want to be studying a course you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    Peninsula (obvious from my sig.. xD). I like the fact you move around every two years, I think it keeps you on your feet and you see new people/new cases all the time. I also like the fact its new and it's tried hard to bring its reputation up to par with other med schools. The interview was also quite heavy on ethics which I also like, because I think/hope it'll give me a lot of chance to debate it on the course. I like the structure - first two years follow the life cycle from birth to death, and of course, I like the PBL (not too much, not too little).
    Cons are.. it's far away from anywhere except for the SW. 5 1/2 from Plymouth to my home .

Glasgow.. I honestly don't know much about the medical course because I didn't really look at it. I didn't really feel like I'd fit in in Scotland (I did apply to Edinburgh but more on my uncle's insistence) and not in Glasgow because it seemed very rough and ready to me and I wanted a calmer place to live in.

ReputationRep:
    dude ... GLASGOW !!! COME HERE !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactive Blob)
    I'm finding it quite difficult to make up my mind

Glasgow- prefer the course since it has more lectures + dissection
    - get shifted around loads during years 4 + 5 although at peninsula I would have to move again after 2nd year

- I really didnt feel at home at glasgow i.e the accent + culture was quite different- so would I get used to it?
    As far as I know Glasgow doesn't have more lectures. Peninsula had more tutorials though (small group teaching). They just call there lectures 'plenaries'.
    Peninsula have really cool SSUs which look amazing, also they have a cool scheme where you can go to Europe for a month and learn a language.

Anatomy wise, it doesn't have a huge emphasis at Glasgow, but more than peninsula. But if you want to do dissection there's a surgeon at peninsula who will teach anyone dissection if they want and also you can go to Bristol to do dissection which PMS students often do. Also they have amazing software specifically for peninsula and amazing models. They also use medical imaging a lot to teach anatomy and also because you have such early clinical exposure you can learn anatomy surgery etc.

At the end of the day everyone moves around at all med schools. I like the Peninsula way though because you get to see a lot of Cornwall.

Also peninsula have amazing beaches!!

My vote is for Peninsula!!

Here's some links though which talks about the course, pros and cons etc;

Peninsula

Glasgow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.