Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To me, you seem like a really lovely girl and your profile picture is incredibly pretty! Just try to boost your confidence, and everything else will fall into place eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Okay, with the clothes, DON'T throw everything out. You said that you have lots of things that don't match anything else - start with those. Get the things you need to go with them, and when you're choosing them, think about how it would go with everything else you have And seriously, go charity shop shopping. If you're looking to get a whole new wardrobe, its going to be expensive, so check out charity shops first. There are often a few hidden jewels there that you'll be able to sort out with a nice belt or something. Same goes for the clothes you wouldn't want to wear again - can you modify it to make them better? Work off what you have already, because that will make it a lot easier

And for the hair - maybe layers? My hair flicks at the ends, so I got some layers in so that it flicks more, and looks like its a bit curlier because its not as heavy. A change of fringe always brightens up a hairstyle you're bored of

And btw, good for you for making the changes I wish I had your motivation :P
    I'm definately throwing some stuff out seriously, I've had some clothes for so long that I'm surprised they've not dissolved and yeah I'm definately going to keep some of what I have, but I just need to fill the gaps with stuff that I do like and does look good. A lot of clothes that are left I feel uncomfortable and I don't feel good wearing them. I can't sew or anything so they're kind of hard to modify myself and I wouldn't really know where to start. I guess I need some more shoes for starters, and jewellery, just to finish off a couple of the outfits I do have. I need some new skirts and dresses definately and I'm very low on tops.

I already have some layers in it, but I've gone off layers i've been trying to grow them out for a while. It's more the day to day 'style' of it, straightening it is just so boring, but I don't know what else to do with it, someone else has reccomended scrunching which I'm going to give a go of tonight, and I'm going to buy a pair of decent curlers and a set of heat rollers. And hopefully that'll sort me out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08batee)
    To me, you seem like a really lovely girl and your profile picture is incredibly pretty! Just try to boost your confidence, and everything else will fall into place eventually
    Aww thank you! I think new wardrobe and working out how to do my hair day to day (people have given me some ideas so I'm going to do some experimenting!) should boost my confidence, and then I'm going to lose some weight aswell which should make me feel better about my body and stuff And probably make clothes look better too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilymay)
    Aww thank you! I think new wardrobe and working out how to do my hair day to day (people have given me some ideas so I'm going to do some experimenting!) should boost my confidence, and then I'm going to lose some weight aswell which should make me feel better about my body and stuff And probably make clothes look better too!
    I'm going to gain some, nearly 12 now :smug: but like everyone said there's nothing wrong with your looks, and i have pretty high standards...honestly, that's why i've not said you're really pretty but the worst possible you can be is average

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan! Good for you anyway on wanting a change, I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    I'm going to gain some, nearly 12 now :smug: but like everyone said there's nothing wrong with your looks, and i have pretty high standards...honestly, that's why i've not said you're really pretty but the worst possible you can be is average
    Awesome, you want some of mine? Ah, if only I were able to give my lbs to someone else aww thanks.. I think hehe

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, you want some of mine? Ah, if only I were able to give my lbs to someone else aww thanks.. I think hehe
    Haha, i'd happily take it, i want to get even more defined :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08batee)
    Sounds like a plan! Good for you anyway on wanting a change, I wish you the best of luck!
    Haha thanks very much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I can't really speak for the wardrobe or makeup side of your problem.
    But with regards to the hair thing, I plait mine in 2 french plaits whilst its damp before bed, then when you take it out in the morning put some wax or serum through it and scrunch it a bit and it looks quite nice (especially if you have longer hair).
    Maybe try and watch some of the hair/makeup tutorials on youtube? it might give you some inspiration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    I can't really speak for the wardrobe or makeup side of your problem.
    But with regards to the hair thing, I plait mine in 2 french plaits whilst its damp before bed, then when you take it out in the morning put some wax or serum through it and scrunch it a bit and it looks quite nice (especially if you have longer hair).
    Maybe try and watch some of the hair/makeup tutorials on youtube? it might give you some inspiration
    Ooh that sounds good too! I'm going to have to make a list and do a different thing every day! I've never french plaited my hair though, I'll have to watch a tutorial for that too And yeah some people have posted some so I'm going to work my way through the, especially curly/wavy hair styles

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people have reccomended MAC so I'm going to give one of their lessons a go I think, just as a one off, to find out what's best for me. In which case I'll probably check those videos out anyway for some other ideas. Rollers are a good idea, I have quite a lot of hair so curling takes me hours, literally! I'd quite like the big loose curls so that it's looks quite natural and casual.

Yeah it's not huge but I'd love it to be a little smaller Which is why I really need to find a diet regime, I reckon I'll do ok on the exercise, but I can't see what's wrong with what I eat already, so I think I'd be better off finding a completely different meal plan and scratching everything I normally eat off and starting from the beginning.

Yeah I think I need to go on a mega shop at some point, but I don't know whether to wait incase I lose weight and then all my clothes won't fit
    I think if you continue eating healthily, as you say you do, then you'll be fine. There's no point starting to eat things that you won't enjoy, because you'll never stick to it. As long as you eat a fairly balanced diet and exercise (why don't you start swimming again?) then nobody can really complain!

If you've got a lot of hair, rollers will look great and they do look really natural. So definitely a good idea, particularly if you're going to be doing it regularly because they're much less damaging.

MAC is great, but expensive. There are lots of other cheaper make-up brands out there which are pretty good too. So shop around and see what suits you

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look at those vids soon I'm sure they'll help! And hmm never looked at fashion blogs before, I'll check those out I've got a few pairs of jeans, got one pair of skinnys but I only wear them when I'm wearing a long style top, as I'm the wrong shape for skinnys and they make me look funny. Boot cut suits me more I guess. I really like skirts and dresses and pretty feminine things, but I never seem to be able to find anything when i go shopping. Sheer tops? What are those? I'll likely take you up on that at some point!
    Try look magazine they normally do great looks on the highstreet to get you started. Have you tried straight leg jeans? I meant sheer blouses, they are quite in at the moment.

Try New Look alot of their items are pretty femine at the moment.
    http://www.newlook.com/

If you want you could pick something you like, you could PM me and I can help you with outfit ideas

I'll give you some fashion and blogs to give you inspiration:

http://lwig-lookwhatigot.blogspot.com/
    http://www.llymlrs.com/2011/03/every...hat-falls.html
    http://modejunkie.blogspot.com/2011/...-wardrobe.html
    http://www.milkteef.com/2011/03/fairest-one-of-all.html
    http://laurenwoodward.blogspot.com/2...pshop-bag.html
    http://www.beauty-crush.com/2011/03/...e-to-rain.html
    http://www.meek-n-mild.com/2011/03/m...imitation.html
    http://http://pixiwoo.blogspot.com/2...Pixiwoo....%29
    http://allthatstyle.blogspot.com/201...-you-know.html
    http://www.iheartvintagex.com/2011/0...sunday_13.html

more fashion and beauty vlogs: probably give you ideas for hair
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePersianbabe
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FashionRocksMySocks

ReputationRep:
    http://www.squidoo.com/best-hair-sty...trends-how-tos
    Maybe give you some hairstyle ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Basically I want to make some changes to myself, I'm not happy with how I look or feel or dress and I want to improve it all! I'm 5'6 and 10.8, but I don't eat particularly unhealthily, I admit I have off days but everyone does! 2 years ago I was 11.2, and I got down to 10 stone, but since then I've kind of let it all go especially after breaking up with my boyfriend and have started putting the weight back on again, I plan to start going to the gym 3 times a week and start running 4 miles a week at home. I'm also going to start trying to monitor what I'm eating and try and work out where I'm going wrong, because I eat a fairly balanced and proportioned diet, although it is probably lacking a little in the fruit department, but I do eat enough vegetables to make up for this generally.

I've kind of got the hang of my make up now (I only started to really wear it about a year and a half ago and even then I didn't really do it very well, but I've found a good foundation, and generally when I go out in the day I wear this foundation, a bit of powder, dash of blusher, black eyeliner and mascara. When I'm going out for an evening I may add a bit of eyeshaddow but I don't really know how to 'do it up' in order to make it better for the evening/night.

I'm fed up with my hair and want a change, but I really love having it long, and don't really know what to do with it, I'd love to have it curled every day (quite loose big curls) But I simply don't have the time or a decent pair of curlers to be able to do this. Can anyone reccomend a decent daily hair style that would be easy to do while keeping my hair long?

And then we come to the big bit, the bit that made me write this thread in the first place. Wardrobe. I spent today sorting it all out, finding out what I have in there and getting rid of stuff I'm never going to wear. Problem is theres a lot of stuff I'm never going to wear and my clothes stock is greatly depleted by this. What I have left, a lot of it I'm not particularly keen on, or is a great item to have but I don't have anything to go with it. My problem is that I buy things in bits and pieces when I see something I like, rather than planning outfits and matching things. I want to find a style and I want to sort my wardrobe out, I need to basically buy a whole new wardrobe! I'm kind of hour glass at the moment, but I don't know whether this is because I'm carrying some weight on my hips as I have quite big shoulders (I used to swim competitively) and I'm wondering if when I lose weight my hips will lose some weight but my shoulders might stay quite big. I really love how Taylor Swift dresses but I just don't know how to sort my wardrobe out like that! And I don't know if her style would suit me. I have quite big boobs so if I buy things they have to go in under my boobs or they just drop straight down and make me look reallllly fat. So generally t shirts don't work for me but I have a couple of blousy style strappy tops that have a tie around the bra strap line so that it pulls in any excess material and doesn't add several inches to my stomach!

Can someone help me out? Basically I'm asking for a complete style make over! But I just don't know where to start or anything!
    My first thought when I read your post was calm down! You're being really hard on yourself and I think you need to take time out to relax and really feel good in your own skin. You don't have t be perfect, nobody will judge you more than you're judging yourself right now, and all this angst will pass. Now, onto the practical stuff.
    1. The Gym. Don't overdo it by saying you're going to go 3 times a week, and do the other thing 4 times. Because the likelihood is (and this happens to us all) you'll put too much pressure in yourself, won't stick to it and then you'll feel rubbish. Start small-maybe aim to go once-and build from there.
    2. Eating. By all means look after your body, but don't get too caught up with your weight. Aim for health and something that helped me was the food diary by Weightloss Resources. It's cheap (around £5 I think currently) and it educated me about calories. I lost a decent amount of weight as a result of just realising what I wa eating, and I've kept it off years later! But not obsessively though–I had 3 healthy meals per day and a maximum of one choc bar, one packet of crisps per day. I also used a fab emotional eating hypnosis by Erick Brown which I think might help you, as you seem to be comfort eating. I would fall asleep to it and it would give my willpower a boost 😃 A book called 'Fat is a Feminist Issue' by Suzie Orbach is also great, and advocates the health and self esteem side of taking care of yourself. Check out Gael Lindenfield 'The Positve Woman', too. Her books are brilliant for self esteem. I think this is what you need to build on.

3. Wardrobe (& Makeup)
    Your wardrobe and outer look is connected to how you feel about yourself and your body. If you start to feel comfortable in your own skin now, not when you're at your ideal weight, you'll be surprised how much easier and enjoyable it becomes to dress yourself over time.
    Don't put pressure on yourself–all you have to do is find that balance between motivated self-care and self-compassion and you'll be ok. I think you'll get there. I did and loads of other people have as well. Much love 💖xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.