Turn on thread page Beta

Does *****ing carry through to uni? watch

At my school, there is a horrendous ammount of behind the back *****ing. To the extent that it's the norm... in fact, you're a bit of a wierdo if you don't.

Admittedly I am (very) guilty of this, hence the annon.

I was just wondering if this is still socially acceptable at uni?

The *****ing is worse I knew a group of Polish girls (not all Polish girls are like this they are really nice ones) But there were 3 of them that always *****ed about people in the course and ignore people and were rude for no reason and they were aged 25 to 32 years old. Maybe it was a culture or age thing or those girls just liked being that way but it doesn't surprise me that a lot of good looking European guys are gay if girls act like that over there. (Only joking I know that's not why they are gay apart from the guy on TSR who blamed girls for being gay lol)

But if you're friends with good people you shouldn't worry it's easier to be friends with people who don't stick to their own culture because you'll feel left out when they start speaking in their own language. Been there wasn't nice.

But I don't know of any fights or anything that happen but gossip is worse because people love to talk **** or assume things about people, there seems to still be a lot of jealousy and ignorance still which I thought people would have grown out from in a mature environment.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on the people you are with. I know I am being very stereotypical here but if you do a course like make theatrical make up or hairdressing you are going to get a lot more *****ing than if you do a course like computer science. It all comes down to the type of people you are with and how mature you and they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I know I am being very stereotypical here but if you do a course like make theatrical make up or hairdressing you are going to get a lot more *****ing than if you do a course like computer science.
    Not necessarily - a lot of maths students seem to secretly hate each other :ahee: Granted courses like drama etc seem to attract a lot of '*****y' people, but courses which are academically pressured can attract egos and competition, which can lead to a similar atmosphere.

I would hope most people at uni would be mature enough not to to ***** loads though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it depends who you hang out with.

Some people are as immature as ever at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Not necessarily - a lot of maths students seem to secretly hate each other :ahee: Granted courses like drama etc seem to attract a lot of '*****y' people, but courses which are academically pressured can attract egos and competition, which can lead to a similar atmosphere.

I would hope most people at uni would be mature enough not to to ***** loads though.
    Yeh, I understand where you're coming from. I did say I was being stereotypical.

ReputationRep:
    There will always be people who are *****es. My mum and her friends who are all over 40 loves to sit around and have a *****. I don't really know whether there will be more or less or what, I guess it depends on the people who hang around with, but it certainly won't just go away.

ReputationRep:
    Aslong as theres *****es there will always be *****ing (men too lol)

ReputationRep:
    Well in my lectures we have alot of debates. Following these all the girls ***** about each other. And yeah girls ***** about the girls who are big headed and teachers pets. So it does carry on through uni well in my uni anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It carries on to uni, to your job, to retirement... its how humans form social bonds. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends who you hang wid

ReputationRep:
    Yes people do not automatically change and become angels at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ofc, it never really stops at any stage in life, pensioners and the elderly ***** about others in their care homes / wherever else I imagine

You have your '***** Sesh time' at Uni, after lecturers and stuff, sad times

ReputationRep:
    It's just a part of life, develop a thick skin and try and make some genuine friends ... but mostly importantly, the thick skin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.