Turn on thread page Beta

Interesting veggie risottos? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm cooking a mother's day meal for 12 on Sunday ( which was always going to be meat-free owing to there being a couple of vegetarians in the party. Both of them eat fish/seafood so I was planning a seafood risotto for the main course - now I discover that another of the guests doesn't eat fish or seafood, so that's out! I don't want to do anything too tomato-ey as I'm serving a roast tomato soup to start, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other risottos? My other signature risotto is tomato & rosemary, so I'm feeling a bit out of my depth, I think there's a real risk with risotto for it to end up too bland...

Also, is pimm's as a pre-dinner drink a weird idea? I was thinking about making cocktails but on further consideration I think it would all just be too much to handle, pimm's might be a nice compromise... or should I just have basic drinks & mixers? First time I've really handled a big meal single handed, so I'm a bit worried it's all going to go pear-shaped!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

ReputationRep:
    Mushroom risotto is really good. So is butternut squash

ReputationRep:
    I made a really nice vegan butternut squash risotto. It was goooood!

ReputationRep:
    Butternut squash risotto! I had it in a restaurant recently and it was amazing. It had loads of white wine and sage in it, mmmmm :coma:

ReputationRep:
    A mushroom one, although chicken and mushroom is a better combination :/.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah everyone else has already suggested my two favourites: mushroom or butternut squash. Although personally I'd make it in advance and turn it into arancini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Yeah everyone else has already suggested my two favourites: mushroom or butternut squash. Although personally I'd make it in advance and turn it into arancini
    While awesomely delicious, not really up to a main course, although I am now considering making a risotto bake at some point, using breadcrumbs and parmesan as a topping...

Asparagus, mint and lemon
    Spinach and goats cheese (cook the spinach separately in butter, olive oil, garlic and nutmeg then blitz it)

ReputationRep:
    How about beetroot risotto for something a little different?

Get some fresh beetroot of different kinds and boil the purple beetroot with some cloves, orange peel, and a cinnamon stick. When cooked puree most of this and keep some to cut into a dice. Cook off some candy stripe beetroot and some golden beetroot as well and cut this into disks or strips etc. When cooking the rissoto when it is almost finished add the beetroot puree and a little more orange zest. Add the beetroot shapes, some butter and parmesan and finish with some chopped parsley. Serve with mozzarella balls or something.

Lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileawaythethunder)
    Hey!

I'm cooking a mother's day meal for 12 on Sunday ( which was always going to be meat-free owing to there being a couple of vegetarians in the party. Both of them eat fish/seafood so I was planning a seafood risotto for the main course - now I discover that another of the guests doesn't eat fish or seafood, so that's out! I don't want to do anything too tomato-ey as I'm serving a roast tomato soup to start, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other risottos? My other signature risotto is tomato & rosemary, so I'm feeling a bit out of my depth, I think there's a real risk with risotto for it to end up too bland...

Also, is pimm's as a pre-dinner drink a weird idea? I was thinking about making cocktails but on further consideration I think it would all just be too much to handle, pimm's might be a nice compromise... or should I just have basic drinks & mixers? First time I've really handled a big meal single handed, so I'm a bit worried it's all going to go pear-shaped!

Thanks in advance
    Mushroom and asparagus! <3

ReputationRep:
    both butternut squash and mushroom risottos are improved with the addition of copious amounts of blue cheese in the latter stages of the cooking process. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for mushroom [but only if all the guests like mushrooms, they seem to be one of those love-hate foods] but if you do, add loads of black pepper. It gets this amazing bite-y taste that's just incredible. If possible use a variety of different mushrooms, and make sure you cook the risotto rice in a lovely veg stock.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i'd have to agree with butternut squash...

this is a pretty good recipe for butternut squash and sage risotto.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and always make mushroom and asparagus risotto, it's like our signature dish. Here are the ingredients if you're interested (it's very unhealthy haha):

arborio rice
    stock
    onions
    garlic
    porcini mushrooms
    chestnut mushrooms
    butter
    asparagus
    white wine
    parmesan

The good thing about putting the wine in it is that you get to drink the rest of the bottle when you have your food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I'd go for mushroom [but only if all the guests like mushrooms, they seem to be one of those love-hate foods] but if you do, add loads of black pepper. It gets this amazing bite-y taste that's just incredible. If possible use a variety of different mushrooms, and make sure you cook the risotto rice in a lovely veg stock.
    To add to this, if you do make mushroom risotto, I thoroughly recommend buying chesnut mushrooms. A guy at a market once convinced me to buy them instead, and now I never make risotto with anything else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    While awesomely delicious, not really up to a main course, although I am now considering making a risotto bake at some point, using breadcrumbs and parmesan as a topping...

Asparagus, mint and lemon
    Spinach and goats cheese (cook the spinach separately in butter, olive oil, garlic and nutmeg then blitz it)
    just fyi, most parmesan is not meat-free. they contain rennet which is from the stomachs of baby cows
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by happy-pink-gecko)
    just fyi, most parmesan is not meat-free. they contain rennet which is from the stomachs of baby cows
    you can buy fake parmesan - it's called "not just a pasta cheese".

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I'm liking the sound of butternut squash and blue cheese I think...

My favourite is lots of green vegetables - sugar snap peas, courgette etc

Grate courgette and add it in at the begining with the onion. Then cook your other chosen veg seperately and add towards the end of cooking. Use loads of fresh herbs if you can including mint and good quality cheese to stir through makes a difference. Delicious.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.