Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of diversity? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just a topic for discussion.

What's the point in celebrating diversity if all these different groups of people mainly stick to their own? Note that in addition to referring to minority groups whether racial, ethnic or religious, I'm also referring to Whites (who in the end are just another group, even if they are the most numerous).

It isn't just the case that most Asians and Blacks stick together, most Whites also stick together. Before anyone says I'm generalising....yes I am. That's the point. Of course there are individuals who mix it up (I'm one of them). However, it is plainly obvious that there is a general, unspoken segregation taking place in society that is largely created by society itself.

Therefore, what is the point in striving for, or celebrating diversity, if in the end we're mainly going to avoid interacting with other kinds of people?

Just seems a bit contradictory.

EDIT: Okay some immature people here clearly, this is meant to be an open discussion, not me forcing my opinion on others. Not sure why people are negging, but feel free to explain.

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be those who can't enjoy a bit of variety......that's all I can say on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance.

And as we all know; ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...

ReputationRep:
    Autonomy - gives you new views to consider and encourages free thinking.
    Also discourages racism/unjustifiable nationalism which I'd consider a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's entirely ignorance. Ignorance may lead you to believe certain stereotypes about a certain group which might cause you to avoid them, but I don't think this is the case for a majority of people who know better than that.

It seems to me that there's less malice or intention to hurt involved, and more a general notion that it's not worth interacting with people from other backgrounds. As if there is nothing to be gained, this is the case for a few cousins of mine.

I must be tired. I read the title as 'What's the point of dentistry'. Duh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    Autonomy - gives you new views to consider and encourages free thinking.
    Also discourages racism/unjustifiable nationalism which I'd consider a good thing.
    Yeah, diversity is not a bad thing and can provide advantages like the ones you mentioned, but only if it's embraced by ALL sides and actually brings people together.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem be happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I must be tired. I read the title as 'What's the point of dentistry'. Duh!
    That was going to be my next thread.

ReputationRep:
    Why should it have a point? It is what it is.

Why not celebrate diversity? People of different groups can learn from one another, even if they don't want to mix

ReputationRep:
    It's just become very fashionable to say that you recognise the many virtues of diversity. No one is going to ask you to list them, and if they do you can always call them racists and leave.

For example, the puppet who has just negged me on this post. They neg you and they leave. But they don't argue, because they know they can't.

ReputationRep:
    CUZ OTHERWISE YOU WONT BE HAVING A CURRY THATS WHY. Imagine Britain without curry:

God save the Korma indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)

Why not celebrate diversity? People of different groups can learn from one another, even if they don't want to mix
    Exactly, it is what it is. Then why celebrate it? It's like celebrating that the sky is blue or that the sun rises every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    Exactly, it is what it is. Then why celebrate it? It's like celebrating that the sky is blue or that the sun rises every day.
    Agree.

Who celebrates diversity?

ReputationRep:
    Well....all concepts should have a point to them, shouldn't they? But that's not what I'm getting at.

We're told diversity is something to strive for. Yet, despite the fact that we are continuously exposed to different kinds of people, we are generally choosing not to interact.

Therefore, what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make it so.)
    Well....all concepts should have a point to them, shouldn't they? But that's not what I'm getting at.

We're told diversity is something to strive for. Yet, despite the fact that we are continuously exposed to different kinds of people, we are generally choosing not to interact.

Therefore, what's the point?
    Told by who?

Do you refer only to racial/ethnic diversity but also gender and sexuality diversity?

ReputationRep:
    Agree.

Well, in Britain, everyone feels the need to claim they do. Apparently it's the best thing that's ever happened to your country since sex was invented.

ReputationRep:
    Agree.

I guess it's not about celebrating diversity, though isn't it something to be proud of? Maybe not? Everyone has their opinion.

But what I'm trying to say is, why make the effort of say, putting token characters in a TV show for the sake of diversity, or seeing posters featuring students from different backgrounds interacting, if in general, no such meaningful interaction takes place?

ReputationRep:
    Cos it's better than just having one dominant single race / ethnicity in a society, people in that group themselves may get bored and desire diversity anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    Well, in Britain, everyone feels the need to claim they do. Apparently it's the best thing that's ever happened to your country since sex was invented.
    I've never personally come across this

ReputationRep:
    Told by who?

Do you refer only to racial/ethnic diversity but also gender and sexuality diversity?
    Political figures for one. Community leaders. Religious leaders. Teachers. Parents.

I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be much segregation between male/female. Or gay/straight anymore. Certainly not as much as in a racial, ethnic, religious sense.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.