Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I've never personally come across this
    You're just so used to it you don't notice it any more. If you were French or German or Italian or well, anything other than British or Canadian, you would, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it was an old old wooden ship used during the civil war era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Ignorance.

And as we all know; ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...
    Heard that in Yoda's voice.

But I totes agree.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't rate them either tbh.

Can't believe they won it, preffered Susan Boyle.

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make it so.)
    I guess it's not about celebrating diversity, though isn't it something to be proud of? Maybe not? Everyone has their opinion.

But what I'm trying to say is, why make the effort of say, putting token characters in a TV show for the sake of diversity, or seeing posters featuring students from different backgrounds interacting, if in general, no such meaningful interaction takes place?
    Idk, if there are Asians in our society, why not have an Asian character on a TV show? Doesn't mean people of different background do or will interact, but it recognizes that people of different backgrounds live in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    I didn't rate them either tbh.

Can't believe they won it, preffered Susan Boyle.

:ahee:
    Yeah, and I don't really see the diversity either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm black, and when I was at school I mostly hung round with white people, but then again they make about 98% of the students there so that's probably why. Now I'm in college though, there's a lot more black people here, and you're right, all the friendships groups tend to be mostly made up of one race for some reason :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in celebrating such an arbitrary concept? Oh look, there's a black person - let's celebrate his presence! So patronising. People should be celebrated for their achievements, not some arbitrary factor of their makeup. Celebrate Bob because he's a Marketing Director and he has achieved that role through hard work, not because he happens to have a black face that adds to a firm's 'diversity'.

ReputationRep:
    erm, i bet many people on this site are interacting with people from different backgrounds without even realising it. :awesome: Anyway, I know lots of people who are friends with people of different ethnicities. I think with each generation, more and more people will interact people of different ethnicities, since their parents are more likely to have friends of different races and etc... Besides even if the majority doesn't, there is still a minority who enjoy diversity. This might not make sense, but here you go.

ReputationRep:
    Idk, if there are Asians in our society, why not have an Asian character on a TV show? Doesn't mean people of different background do or will interact, but it recognizes that people of different backgrounds live in the UK?
    Well, that's representing diversity in the media, whether for demographic, economic or ethical reasons. But it still doesn't address the underlying issue.

What is the point in having diversity in societies if everyone is generally going to stay in their own corner and not mix up with others? We may as well split up the human race, build up huge walls to separate us and say 'good luck, and if a disease we had the antibodies for turns up....well...sorry about that'.

ReputationRep:
    Usually when people move to an area, they will pick one with people similar to them. And before anyone starts crtiticising the ethnic minorities for doing this, I went to spain once and the entire area seemed to be populated with english people. Apparently all the spanish folk had moved out. There were fish and chip shops and pubs everywhere The only spanish I heard was spoken by the cleaners!

Diversity is fun.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's representing diversity in the media, whether for demographic, economic or ethical reasons. But it still doesn't address the underlying issue.

What is the point in having diversity in societies if everyone is generally going to stay in their own corner and not mix up with others? We may as well split up the human race, build up huge walls to separate us and say 'good luck, and if a disease we had the antibodies for turns up....well...sorry about that'.
    Idk, because people from different countries want to live/work abroad?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I agree that it's silly people don't mix, but you can't force them.

ReputationRep:
    i love diversity Ashley Banjo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    What's the point in celebrating such an arbitrary concept? Oh look, there's a black person - let's celebrate his presence! So patronising. People should be celebrated for their achievements, not some arbitrary factor of their makeup. Celebrate Bob because he's a Marketing Director and he has achieved that role through hard work, not because he happens to have a black face that adds to a firm's 'diversity'.
    Clearly that's not what this discussion is about, it's not about affirmative action or anti-racism.

The point is, society is getting more diverse, and more segregated. Why?

Yes, there are exceptions, but that's the point, they are exceptions. There's no right or wrong answer here. Maybe we aren't meant to interact. Maybe we would be better off separate. But with race relations, multiculturalism, diversity such issues in today's society, why not discuss them openly? Instead of trying to come off as some kind of liberal saint.

ReputationRep:
    Idk, because people from different countries want to live/work abroad?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I agree that it's silly people don't mix, but you can't force them.
    I may not be getting at anything . It's just my opinion on things, this is meant to be an open discussion, not me telling people what's right or wrong.

I guess my main issue is why people don't mix up more, yeah you can't force people too, nor should you. But I'm wondering about the general, seemingly invisible barriers between different groups that keep them from interacting meaningfully. Is it subconscious? Underlying preferences?

Truthfully Idk either, that's the point of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I may not be getting at anything . It's just my opinion on things, this is meant to be an open discussion, not me telling people what's right or wrong.

I guess my main issue is why people don't mix up more, yeah you can't force people too, nor should you. But I'm wondering about the general, seemingly invisible barriers between different groups that keep them from interacting meaningfully. Is it subconscious? Underlying preferences?

Truthfully Idk either, that's the point of this thread.
    I don't know why. I find it odd that at uni, the majority of people stick to similar ethnic groups, whereas I like to mix and match.

Maybe people feel more comfortable with what they know? Esp if they're international students?

ReputationRep:
    On a similar point, I think we should stop celebrating 'the first black' this and 'the first woman' that.

The great irony of a couple of years ago was Barack Obama breaking down the racial barriers of America by winning the presidential election because of the colour of his skin...

ReputationRep:
    diversity is like an equation.

diversity = less white people.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the British born south Asians at my uni stick together.

ReputationRep:
    We should all have the chance to mix with different ethnicities etc. even if some people would rather not for whatever reason.
    Anyway, I'm black and most of my friends are white, and I have a white friend who mostly hangs around with black people, a mixed race (black and white) friend who has mostly Asian friends...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.