This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
Its not about insecurity, its about taking the opportunuty to look better than you would do without make-up.
If you feel dependent on it and feel like you cannot go out without it then it's insecurity.

Plus what's the point in putting on full war paint every day - surely that just makes special occassions less special.
superstar*honey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well ilk betta with mk up than no mk up
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
my mum says im ugly coz i dont put any effort in wotsoever but its coz i dont have time.
Your mums pretty harsh.
emmz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by superstar*honey)
well ilk betta with mk up than no mk up
i thought evry 1 did lol
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
my mum says im ugly coz i dont put any effort in wotsoever but its coz i dont have time.
She's wrong...not wearing makeup doesn't make you ugly.

Feeling dependant on a mask and not liking the way you look without it is unattractive (not ugly).

Having the confidence to look the way you do and realising that there is more to life than perfect complexion 24:7 is attractive. If there's one thing that isn't attractive it's high maintenence girls...nice to look at but awful girlfriends.
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Your mums pretty harsh.
i know but when i ask her why shes bein nasty she just says its the truth and at 18 i shud be putting more effort in. i mean, im clean and tidy so wots her prob? :confused:
MC
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)

Feeling dependant on a mask and not liking the way you look without it is unattractive (not ugly).

Having the confidence to look the way you do and realising that there is more to life than perfect complexion 24:7 is attractive. If there's one thing that isn't attractive it's high maintenence girls...nice to look at but awful girlfriends.
Surely wearing make-up is degrading to women as they rely upon a false exterior to appear attractive to men?
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you really all so insecure about your looks that you can't go out without covering your face in make up ?

I can understand making an effort if you're going out but for school :confused: ?

And wearing makeup to go shopping is just plain daft - you risk getting it all over any clothes you try on and either ruining the clothes or getting charged for the damage :rolleyes: .
yes i am insecure about the way i look. that is why i wear make-up to school. i dont think the make-up i wear does anything to make me look better but it makes me feel better.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

ok, if makeup is for us insecure people then why do you wear make up on special occasions?! Why not make urself look that little bit better all the time?
And again, it really has nothing to do with being dependent. Its about having pride in ur looks and making the most out of ur features...and unless you have any knowledge on the application of makeup (Which i don't think u do), then you won't have a clue at all.
Oh, and if you're calling it a 'mask'...then you really are applying it VERY WRONG.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

i think you're looking at the make-up we wear and assume it's 3 times what is necessary. i dont think the make-up does anything to hide my face and i still act confidently without make-up on. make-up doesnt give me confident. it just makes me feel nicer. i dont mind people seeing me without make-up. i dont rely on the make-up i wear for guys to like me-that'd be plain stupid because if you 'get the guy' for the make-up you wr,hll bgo when you wash your face!!
emmz
Rep:
?
anyway dont guys make an effort?
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Just out of curiosity, how would you know they make awful girlfriends?!
And oh..what a generalisation that is.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok, if makeup is for us insecure people then why do you wear make up on special occasions?! Why not make urself look that little bit better all the time?
And again, it really has nothing to do with being dependent. Its about having pride in ur looks and making the most out of ur features...and unless you have any knowledge on the application of makeup (Which i don't think u do), then you won't have a clue at all.
Oh, and if you're calling it a 'mask'...then you really are applying it VERY WRONG.
Wear did I say make up = insecurity...read carefully I said being so dependant on make up that you feel you cannot go out without it is a sign of insecurity. If you don't feel that dependent then why get so defensive? I obviously wasn't talking about you.

The reason I don't "make myself look that little bit better all the time" is for a mixture of reasons. The main one being because it is only a "little bit better", the second one being because of a lack of time (or do you think I should start getting up at 5:30am every day to look a "little bit better") and the third one being the balance of time, results and priorities. It is not worth the time taken to put on anything more than the occassional bit of lipstick for work...life's too short and there are far more important things than looking a "little bit better".

And of course it's not a literal mask...but at the same time if you feel it's a compulsory part of your wardrobe (and as essential for everyday wear as a pair of shoes or a top) then it's a self made mask that you are hiding behind (again if this doesn't meet your personal feelings then please don't assume I'm talking about you specifically).

I'll ignore the digs about my skill at applying make up for the petty little defensive insults that they are. They don't add to your arguement, if anything they detract from it because you're demonstrating how personally you're taking this discussion when I haven't once referred to your make up habits specifically.

PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just out of curiosity, how would you know they make awful girlfriends?!
Experience
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wear make up if I didn't have time, I wouldnt bother, but I've always got 5 minutes in the morning to put on a little bit of eye make up at least. Make up is fun. When I go out I experiment with different colours and stuff but normally I just wear natural colours and not masses of the stuff. I don't have low self esteem any more than most women I think, I just like to know that I look like I make a bit of an effort to look nice.

& I always buy decent make up - it's easier to apply and looks better and comes in pretty packaging! I <3 benefit. Ohh my. Must go to boots and buy more. Haha.
x
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also, I don't consider make up a mask but .. just another way that I can be different to others. It's an extension of my outfit really, and I think it adds to my individuality Anywway - it's not worth y'all getting worked up about! Hehe. I certainly wouldnt be arsed if I got up at 5 in the morning or anything - plus when I'm that tired not even benefit could make me pretty!!!!
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To school, no. I don't need it
Besides I'd rather sleep.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Experience
As in, you've had girlfriends?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wear amake up when I can be bothered... only eye stuff tho and a light coloured lip balm (couldn't live without my nivea pearl and shine ) but apart from that I can't be arsed... too much money for the decent stuff and who can be bothered with foundation honestly?!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As in, you've had girlfriends?
Would you like me to spell it out for you?

Yes I've had girlfriends...and the ones that were obsessed with their looks were terrible girlfriends, if you spend so much time thinking about yourself it doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads