Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't politicians send their sons or daughters to war? watch

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

P.S: Sorry i can't give my 2 cents right now as I have to go to the bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darknessbehold)
    Discuss.

Maybe their children don't want to join the Army?

ReputationRep:
    Surely a requirement of that nowadays is being in the army .

ReputationRep:
    Because they are cowardly scum.

ReputationRep:
    I believe the most recent MP elected Dan Jarvis actually fought in Iraq, still there is probably some MP who's child has fought.

ReputationRep:
    Well if any of their children are in the military then they would be.

ReputationRep:
    A few MPs have served in the military before becoming MP. And i would have thought if the son/daughter wanted to join the armed forces it would be their decision....

ReputationRep:
    Whats with these silly threads on tsr these days?

Its the policians son/daughters choice if they want to join the army or not. Anyone who believes politicians have something to do with them not joining is just living in some other form of reality full of consipiracy theories and nonsense

ReputationRep:
    Can you imagine anyone sharing even a small portion of Cameron's genetic makeup being remotely successful in the army?

ReputationRep:
    Dan Jarvis MP is an Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan and Kosovo Veteran.

ReputationRep:
    This is a list of all the MPs (Data from 2009) who have experience of serving in the Armed Forces, both regular, reserve and the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme. The information has come from the House of Commons and is data from 2009

Army (20)
    John Baron (Conservative) - Captain Royal Regiment of Fusiliers 1984-87
    Richard Benyon (Conservative) - Army 1980-85
    Crispin Blunt (Conservative) - Army Officer 1979-90; Regimental duty 13th/18th Royal Hussars (QMO) in England,
    Germany and Cyprus
    Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith (Conservative) - Commissioned, Scots Guards 1975;ADC to Major-General Sir John Acland,
    KCB, CBE; Commander of Commonwealth Monitoring Force in Zimbabwe 1979-81
    James Gray (Conservative) - Honourable Artillery Company (TA) 1978-84; Member, HAC Court of Assistants 2002-
    Adam Holloway (Conservative) - Commissioned, Grenadier Guards 1987-92
    Eric Joyce (Labour) - Private, Black Watch Regiment 1978-81;Officer 1987-99
    Alan Keen (Labour/Co-operative) - Army service (3 years)
    Mark Lancaster (Conservative) - Officer Royal Engineers 1988-90;Major Royal Engineers (TA) 1990-
    Rt Hon Michael Mates (Conservative) - Army service 1954-74:2nd Lieutenant RUR 1955;Queen's Dragoon Guards,
    RAC 1961, Major 1967, Lieutenant-Colonel 1973, Resigned commission 1974
    Patrick Mercer (Conservative) - Sherwood Foresters 1975-1999
    Andrew Mitchell (Conservative) - UN Peacekeeping Forces Cyprus: 1st Royal Tank Regiment (SSLC)
    Mike Penning (Conservative) - Soldier, Grenadier Guards 1974-80;RAMC 1980-81
    Andrew Robathan (Conservative) - Regular Army Officer, Coldstream Guards and SAS 1974-89;Rejoined Army for
    Gulf War January-April 1991
    Hugh Robertson (Conservative) - Army officer The Life Guards, serving in Northern Ireland, Gulf War and Bosnia 1985-95
    Hon Nicholas Soames (Conservative) - Lieutenant, 11th Hussars 1967-72
    Sir Peter Tapsell (Conservative) - Subaltern Army national service in Middle East 1948-50;Royal Sussex Regiment
    David Tredinnick (Conservative) - 2nd Lieutenant Grenadier Guards 1968-71
    Ben Wallace (Conservative) - Army officer, Scots Guards 1990-98: Service in Northern Ireland, Central America,
    Cyprus, Germany; Intelligence 1994-95
    Sir Nicholas Winterton (Conservative) - Commissioned army national service 14th/20th King's Hussars 1957-59

Ulster Defence Regiment (1)
    Rt Hon Jeffrey Donaldson (Democratic Unionist Party) - Ulster Defence Regiment 1980-85

Territorial Army (12)
    Tony Baldry (Conservative) - TA Officer 1971-83; Honorary Colonel RLC(TA)
    Gregory Barker (Conservative) - TA (HAC)
    Julian Brazier, TD (Conservative) - TA 1972-82, 1989-92
    Derek Conway (Conservative) - Territorial Decoration (Territorial Army)
    Mark Francois (Conservative) - TA 1983-89, commissioned 1985
    Dominic Grieve (Conservative) - Territorial Army 1981-83
    Philip Hollobone (Conservative) - Soldier and paratrooper, Territorial Army 1987-95
    Ian Liddell-Grainger (Conservative) - Major Fusiliers TA
    Andrew Selous (Conservative) - TA officer Honourable Artillery Company, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers 1981-94
    Keith Simpson (Conservative) - Honorary Colonel Royal Military Police T.A.
    Desmond Swayne (Conservative) - Major, Territorial Army; also called up to Gulf War II (Major in TA) (June 2003)
    Peter Viggers (Conservative) - National service RAF pilot 1956-58;Territorial Army Officer 1962-67

Royal Air Force (7)
    Joe Benton (Labour) - RAF national service 1955-57
    Colin Challen (Labour) - RAF 1971-74
    John Smith (Labour) - RAF 1967-71
    Dr Bob Spink (Conservative) - RAF 1964-66 (invalided)
    Dr Richard Taylor (Independent) - Medical officer RAF 1961-64
    Peter Viggers (Conservative) - National service RAF pilot 1956-58;Territorial Army Officer 1962-67
    Robert Wareing (Labour) - RAF 1948-50

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (2)
    Ben Chapman (Labour) - Pilot Officer, RAFVR 1959-61
    Gerald Howarth (Conservative) - Commissioned RAFVR 1968

University Air Squadron (1)
    Tim Yeo (Conservative) - Cambridge University Air Squadron 1964-67

Royal Navy (2)
    Dr Andrew Murrison (Conservative) - Surgeon Commander Royal Navy 1981-2000; called up as Royal Navy Reservist
    (Medic) to Gulf War II in September 2003.
    Richard Ottaway (Conservative) - Royal Navy Officer 1961-70

Royal Naval Reserve (2)
    Dr Julian Lewis (Conservative) - Seaman, Royal Naval Reserve 1979-82
    Dr Andrew Murrison (Conservative) - Surgeon Commander Royal Navy 1981-2000; called up as Royal Navy Reservist
    (Medic) to Gulf War II in September 2003.

Foreign Armed Services (1)
    Dr Rudi Vis (Labour) - Dutch armed services 1960-64

Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (Fellowships)
    Rt Hon John Reid (Labour) - Fellow Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme

Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (Army)
    Dai Havard (Labour) - Member Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (Army) 2002
    Stephen O'Brien (Conservative) - Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (Army) 2001-03

Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (Navy)
    Stephen Pound (Labour) - Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme

Im sure many of their and other MPs sons and daughters also serve. And that in todays parliament a similar amount have service experience

ReputationRep:
    Because sending little Tarquin and Farquar to Eton means that they too will be able to continue the upper class dynasty that they've spent so long scrounging off ordinary folk to pay for?

Or maybe because in the army you have to work with what they refer to as "human scum" -namely northerners, Scots, Welsh, Irish and those from homes not rich enough to hire a chauffeur.

ReputationRep:
    Erm... cos they're not in the military? And you have to be in order to go to war?

ReputationRep:
    Good time to start a thread then... :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Discuss.

Because we do not force people to go to war?

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

Meh, poor excuse, I take my laptop in the bathroom with me all the time.

And I totally agree with you, it's the working class kids and the brainwashed that get sent to be shot out. Be a hero, sign up today...

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of MP's who have served in the military are Tory I see, hardly the case that 'little Tarqin wouldn't hack it'. Some of you are speaking out of your arse, not so long ago it was standard practice for Aristo's to serve in the Army or RN in some way and many of them still do. More balls than the scum trashing london the other day

ReputationRep:
    why do you think ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    Because sending little Tarquin and Farquar to Eton means that they too will be able to continue the upper class dynasty that they've spent so long scrounging off ordinary folk to pay for?

Or maybe because in the army you have to work with what they refer to as "human scum" -namely northerners, Scots, Welsh, Irish and those from homes not rich enough to hire a chauffeur.
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    9/10

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.