Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing uni and course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so its getting to the time where I wanna start thinking about uni's and courses etc.

At the moment im doing Maths AS , Economics AS , Compting AS and graphics as , dropping graphics next year for history...

Basically I want to start booking some university open days , and am really stuck as to what I want to do at uni and where. Basically I either want to go down the route of computer science (or something similair / in that field) , or down the route of economics, both i know are very hard to get uni placements for.

Realistically I want to be getting AAB (b/a) at full A level next year, and would like to go to a good uni but still pretty much have no clue where I want to go with it, or what job I want afterwards.

Do you think booking uni open days would be really benificial to me and can anyone give me advice on any of the options I mentioned... thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did you not go to the UCAS convention? It's on tomorrow as well.

You'd be better off probably by ordering some prospectuses and seperating the wheat from the chaff. Once you've narrowed it down a bit, decide which you'd like to visit and pop on down. Your 6th form/college should be quite prepared for this surely?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try the UCAS website. It can tell you which Uni's do the courses you like and tell you if there is a UCAS convention coming past you soon. (Though it may be too late)
    You could look at league tables, but don't take them too seriously, as they can be a bit iffy. You could try the HEAPS guide, which your college/school will probably have a copy of... and maybe have a chat with your teachers or the careers adviser, as they can give you honest advice.

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    my advice...buy a university guide. The Times Good University Guide is probably the best.

There are just too many courses and too many universities to chose from to get any good advice on a forum. Also, the majority of suggestions on here a probably baised towards the posters choice in university and what they believe is a good/bad course/institute. If not baised then they will be suggesting a university and course based only on reputation. E.g. only name the top 20 unis.

Chosing a university is more than just it's reputation and where it's ranked for a particualr course. You'll be living there for 3/4 years. So make sure you include nightlife, outdoor activities, sports teams available, standard of sports/teaching facilities etc. All of which is included in a good university guide. I got one to help me pick this year and it was so much easier to choose a uni and course compared to the year before (I took a gap year).

sorry for the rant

edit:

So basically

- Get a university guide
    - Pick a the unis you like
    - Check they do the subject and order a prospectus

DON'T take the university rankings seriously, their usually baised and inaccurate, e.g. one had Dundee at 20 and another at 44.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo lad)
    Ok so its getting to the time where I wanna start thinking about uni's and courses etc.

At the moment im doing Maths AS , Economics AS , Compting AS and graphics as , dropping graphics next year for history...

Basically I want to start booking some university open days , and am really stuck as to what I want to do at uni and where. Basically I either want to go down the route of computer science (or something similair / in that field) , or down the route of economics, both i know are very hard to get uni placements for.

Realistically I want to be getting AAB (b/a) at full A level next year, and would like to go to a good uni but still pretty much have no clue where I want to go with it, or what job I want afterwards.

Do you think booking uni open days would be really benificial to me and can anyone give me advice on any of the options I mentioned... thanks
    Most open days aren't til after the AS exams are over, so you don't need to worry about booking now. When I was looking at unis I thought first about what sort of environment I wanted to live in. I'm a city girl being from London, and knew that no matter how good the course was, I wanted to in or very near a decent city. So I looked up all unis in cities, checked which did my course and what requirements they wanted. Discarded ones asking for higher than I knew I'd get, and most of the ones I thought I could far exceed the requirements.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.