Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Because it's disgusting, immoral, desparate and biologically wrong. Out of all the people in this world how desperate must you be to go for your own family? Knowing it can result in deformed children why would you want to risk it? Knowing you will be outcasted by society for it why would you want to?
    This pretty much :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    Homosexuality is accepted in society, the couple cannot mate. Can't incessant couples do the same as homosexual couples and adopt a baby in the future if the desire of having a baby arises? I'm not talking about that kind of incest either. First cousin incest.
    Hmm in that case, the chances of any genetic mutations should decrease but even then I believe that it is morally wrong to marry someone from your own family even if it is a distant relative.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that unless you have any medical conditions in your family....

there isn't anything wrong with first cousins....although I'd hope you could find someone out of the 3bn others who you are compatible with....

ReputationRep:
    Incest among second cousins can lead to an increase in congenital abnormalities, and the risk increases as the degree of relation is reduced.

I would guess that society it has made it a taboo over time because of this.

ReputationRep:
    ...cause it's wrong :/

ReputationRep:
    Incest is something the whole family can enjoy!

(I hope no-one's said that yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I'd say that unless you have any medical conditions in your family....

there isn't anything wrong with first cousins....although I'd hope you could find someone out of the 3bn others who you are compatible with....
    the fact is we may not know about a condition (some carriers of a recessive gene can be completely asymptomatic, such as the sickle cell trait that is actually protective in the malaria belt) until two recessive genes meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSI_10)
    When words aern't good enough for things like this....

Looks like a dance move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?
    Because it's weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    Incest is something the whole family can enjoy!

(I hope no-one's said that yet)
    Damn it, no rep left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    the fact is we may not know about a condition (some carriers of a recessive gene can be completely asymptomatic, such as the sickle cell trait that is actually protective in the malaria belt) until two recessive genes meet.
    if you had a recessive condition....there will be at least 1 person in the family who will have it....and as such, you would know....

or I suppose the responsible thing would be to get tested for such things before getting jiggy for kids

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't care what two consenting adults do behind closed doors. Meh. Get on with it and don't tell me?

ETA: I can smell a few thousand negs coming on :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing the OP is the product of incest seeing as he's a ****ing retard

ReputationRep:
    I think it's purely an instinctive thing. It makes sense to not want to mate with anything that will lead to unhealthy/weaker offspring. So even homosexual relations and sexual contact that can't result in pregnancy would still create some feeling of repulsion in most people.

This is one of a few taboos that can't be pinned on cultural relativism (although various cultures in history have practices incest to an extent it has never been done widely and is unlike other taboos such as pederasty which had a pretty global practice) . An interesting example of this are the Kibbutz in Israel, children were/are raised communally and because of this the children almost never end getting together - so the taboo must just ingrained in us not mate with anything that even resembles a sibling or family member.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Outside of the Royal Family or certain parts of America, incest isn't normal. 'Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    the child will never be right... theres this guy at college hes like 4 foot tall and his head is joint to his shoulders like hes got no kneck kinda like a penguin =/ well he has to turn his body to look at something so u get what i mean lol. plus its the tax payers money that goes to the disabled people then after and there familys and thas alot of money specialy when who ever does it is likely to have like 8 kids take child support money and disability money and low income money and all sorts of crap , why not just go out and find someone suitable sort of thing lol

ReputationRep:
    Good trolling OP

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to get the green light to do a relative? cause you're not going to get it..

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that you do not quote your location. How is life in West Norfolk?

ReputationRep:
    Apart from all the obvious (ethical, religious, etc) reasons......

You'd be able to answer that yourself when you conceive a child with 2 heads (or some other freaky mutation)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.