Turn on thread page Beta

Is a B at GCSE Chemistry good enough to do A-level Chemistry? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's the deal: I'm probably going to get a B at the end of my GCSE Chemistry course. Personally, I think I could have done a lot better but in year 10 our teacher was a Physics teacher, not a Chemistry teacher and basically taught us straight out of the text book.
    I'm going to get an A (possibly A*) in Biology and I would like to take it at A-level and I think Chemistry would nicely link to Biology. Plus, although it's hard, I do quite enjoy Chemistry.
    I know I that I can take Chemistry with a B, but do you think that I'll struggle too much?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, well i mean they will let you if that what you mean, atleast most sixth forms will but you will need to step it up if you get a B at gcse. I got a B at gcse and ended up dropping chemistry at AS Level. It is hard and a big transition, you can get an A grade but work hard FROM THE START lol

ReputationRep:
    I think that you will do fine in Chem with a B. In fact, I support you to try it out and if it doesn't work out, you could always drop it at the end of your AS year.

My advice for you: try to revise as much as possible for your GCSE exams and remember that a B can be easily upgraded to an A if you have organized a revision scheme which fits the best to your needs. Remember, passing the GCSE is solved by a simple equation:

Study guides+Syllabus+past papers is the key to succeed in them.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry A level is nowhere near as hard as people make out! Biology is much harder, but they do not link together in the slightest! But do it, as long as you're willing to work!

ReputationRep:
    People with A* in Chem at GCSE are struggling, people with an A are getting those high As. There are people with a B at GCSE failing and also some who got a B and are doing really well and getting good As on their modules.

It is down to you, with passion you can succeed at A Level

ReputationRep:
    Nah you'll be fine mate people with C grades do it and with hard work end up with B and A grades at A level.

ReputationRep:
    I found Chemistry very hard, and i got an A* at GCSE. However, I was convinced to take it and I think a genuine enthusiasm for the subject would help immensely at A-level. If you have the drive to put in the man-hours (or woman-hours to be PC) then the subject will almost always work for you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have an A in Chemistry GCSE and I struggled massively during AS.

Though, it depend on what kind of subject you understand better. I'm just not very sciencey person.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is absolutely enough. Just make sure your sixth form or college you are intending to go to, accepts a B in it if you want to continue studying it.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at GCSE, and loved the course at AS, but ended up dropping it, as i ended up with an E. I'd been doing so badly, and working my arse off, so i'd given up by the end.
    However, i think if i had known what i was letting myself in for at the start, i would have worked a hell of a lot harder.
    (Even dropping down to three A level subjects feels like twice the workload of four AS levels! I think i can safely say the majority of my year have said that we all wished we'd worked harder last year so we wouldn't have to worry so much this year.)

I would say, if you have real enthusiasm for the subject, go for it. I still loved it, even though i was doing crap. The secret is just to do lots of past papers.
    The actual concepts aren't really difficult at all, i think it was more the way they asked questions in the exam, and the way they were written that screwed it up for me. And doing past papers (or past exam questions at least) would've helped a lot from the start.
    At least for me anyway!

Good luck. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom.west)
    Okay, here's the deal: I'm probably going to get a B at the end of my GCSE Chemistry course. Personally, I think I could have done a lot better but in year 10 our teacher was a Physics teacher, not a Chemistry teacher and basically taught us straight out of the text book.
    I'm going to get an A (possibly A*) in Biology and I would like to take it at A-level and I think Chemistry would nicely link to Biology. Plus, although it's hard, I do quite enjoy Chemistry.
    I know I that I can take Chemistry with a B, but do you think that I'll struggle too much?
    Thanks
    In my school yes, but other schools not sure. BTW my school's sixth form is much better than secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE then at AS i found it hard but i got an A now at A2 I'm hoping for an A if not then a high B.. depends how much work you put in, gcse's dont really matter, there is a boy in my class who got a C at gcse and now he's on a solid A at A2
    Ruby

ReputationRep:
    There is really NO correlation between GCSEs and A Levels, honestly. It depends on how committed, determined and motivated you are to work really hard.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're ok with the basic concepts, you'll be fine. Balancing equations, understanding electron configuration, understanding ionic and covalent bonding, being able to do calculations involving mass and moles etc., it's all the basic stuff you should be able to do. At a B grade, I'm guessing you can do most of this to a good enough extent. Honestly, the A-level course itself is hard, I got an A* at GCSE and I find it reasonably difficult, but it's manageable, you just have to make sure you properly understand everything you are taught, and do a LOT of revision.

I'd think around half of my chemistry class got a B at GCSE, and they're coping with it, so as long as you're dedicated and willing to put in the necessary work you should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanischa)
    I have an A in Chemistry GCSE and I struggled massively during AS.

Though, it depend on what kind of subject you understand better. I'm just not very sciencey person.
    Why did you take it then?

ReputationRep:
    As a few people above me have posted, GCSE and A-level are very different things, some of my friends that got A*+A in science at GCSE are getting D's and E's in chemistry A-level, whereas others that got B's at GCSE are currently getting B's and A's. I think if you are willing to put the required effort in for the grade you want you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Why did you take it then?
    I used to love Chemistry...and well, only after I've taken AS Chemistry that I discovered that I'm not a sciencey person. Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how hard you worked for it. (remember, after GCSE's, you have to work as hard as possible to get good grades, but B's at GCSE are fine for even the top uni courses - but you will need to get A's at A level...) Chemistry is definitely one of the harder subjects, like Maths; you have to be able to grasp concepts. Tons of girls (seriously) who got all A*s find it really difficult, but the guys tend to do better, even if their grades aren't so good. I got an A at Chemistry GCSE, and I just scraped an A at A-level. I think you'll be able to get a B in it (and if you got a C, you could get C in it, etc). With girls, however, for Maths and Chemistry, they probably should look at it a grade lower e.g. if a girl get's A at GCSE, she'll probably get a B in it at A level. I think this is because girls are all goody two shoes at school, whilst boys are scared looking bookish, but they can crack down as much as they like in college!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely good to take one science (or two) at A level - if you struggle, better make it Biology! (Much easier- my current degree course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanischa)
    I used to love Chemistry...and well, only after I've taken AS Chemistry that I discovered that I'm not a sciencey person. Obviously.
    Just asking, no need to be like that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.