Turn on thread page Beta

Is a B at GCSE Chemistry good enough to do A-level Chemistry? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom.west)
    Okay, here's the deal: I'm probably going to get a B at the end of my GCSE Chemistry course. Personally, I think I could have done a lot better but in year 10 our teacher was a Physics teacher, not a Chemistry teacher and basically taught us straight out of the text book.
    I'm going to get an A (possibly A*) in Biology and I would like to take it at A-level and I think Chemistry would nicely link to Biology. Plus, although it's hard, I do quite enjoy Chemistry.
    I know I that I can take Chemistry with a B, but do you think that I'll struggle too much?
    Thanks
    yes. I got a b at GCSE and a high A at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, kinda opposite got A*/A* in science GCSE and only a C at AS chem.

However, I got ill .... but then in my foundation year for uni (year 0) I got 70-something percent... so like an A

Anyhoos, chemistry is good but hard at times, in my opinion obviously. Go for it I say, just you may need to do a lot of work, the exams I found hard. ALOT of new concepts / equations compared to GCSE. Massive jump.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom.west)
    Okay, here's the deal: I'm probably going to get a B at the end of my GCSE Chemistry course. Personally, I think I could have done a lot better but in year 10 our teacher was a Physics teacher, not a Chemistry teacher and basically taught us straight out of the text book.
    I'm going to get an A (possibly A*) in Biology and I would like to take it at A-level and I think Chemistry would nicely link to Biology. Plus, although it's hard, I do quite enjoy Chemistry.
    I know I that I can take Chemistry with a B, but do you think that I'll struggle too much?
    Thanks

yes it is possible to do alevel chemistry with a B at gcse

i got a C in gcse chem and now am predicted an A at
    A2
    and you will only struggle if you dont do the work
    hope this helps
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I only just got a B grade in double science at GCSE. Now doing Chemistry at A2 I am predicted an A and was 1 UMS off an A in the AS year.

I think I'm an anomaly, most people find A-level much harder than GCSE Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Barton)
    It depends how hard you worked for it. (remember, after GCSE's, you have to work as hard as possible to get good grades, but B's at GCSE are fine for even the top uni courses - but you will need to get A's at A level...) Chemistry is definitely one of the harder subjects, like Maths; you have to be able to grasp concepts. Tons of girls (seriously) who got all A*s find it really difficult, but the guys tend to do better, even if their grades aren't so good. I got an A at Chemistry GCSE, and I just scraped an A at A-level. I think you'll be able to get a B in it (and if you got a C, you could get C in it, etc). With girls, however, for Maths and Chemistry, they probably should look at it a grade lower e.g. if a girl get's A at GCSE, she'll probably get a B in it at A level. I think this is because girls are all goody two shoes at school, whilst boys are scared looking bookish, but they can crack down as much as they like in college!
    Sexist bull****. I know plenty of women who are amazing chemists and plenty of men who are crap at it (like my father, and a lot of boys in my sixth form!)

ReputationRep:
    This is the same situation I'm in right now I could have done better in German, Chemistry, Sociology and R.E for my GCSEs I got;

Maths-A
    English Lit-C
    English Lang-C
    Chemistry-B
    Biology-A
    Physics-B
    German-A
    French-A
    Sociology-B
    R.E-B
    Welsh-B

For AS I'm doing Chemistry,BIology,Maths and German. Have I made the right decision? I've been told by teachers I will do well in Maths, will do well if I work hard in German and Biology and told that Chemistry isn't recommended. However I would like to go into a Biology/Pharmacy course at Uni. Please help?????????

ReputationRep:
    A few weeks into 6th form I wanted to switch my A level choices (long story), and I had a teacher try to put me off chemistry as well - 4 years later I just graduated with a 1st class masters degree in chemistry and in a month I start my PhD. So seriously if your willing to put in the work dont let someone tell you you cant do it. Also in hindsight that was quite a motivational story, i might go into public speaking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JudgeFudge)
    A few weeks into 6th form I wanted to switch my A level choices (long story), and I had a teacher try to put me off chemistry as well - 4 years later I just graduated with a 1st class masters degree in chemistry and in a month I start my PhD. So seriously if your willing to put in the work dont let someone tell you you cant do it. Also in hindsight that was quite a motivational story, i might go into public speaking
    Thanks so much for the support and yes you should be a motivational speaker!
    Also I was only 8 marks away from an A overall in GCSE Chem. Hopefully I will do well in my AS Levels and prove my Chemistry teacher wrong but obviously it will all come with hard work x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2015

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.