Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

scared/nervous in social situtations but never was before? :( Watch

it has been bugging me for about 2 years now and it is really getting me down with my friends i am outgoing and funny but in social situations like the student union bar where there are lots of people, i feel uncomfortable and nervous. and this is the case especially, if the guy i like is around or something.... i would totally accept feeling nervous but one thing that annoys me is that my hands start shaking??? which sounds weird lol and this is biggg cos u need to be picking up drinks/phone whatevers in ur hand.... but strangely enough nobody has ever caught this yet....

i have realised that it is very psychological as when i don't think about it , i am fine but when i start worrying that my hands will shake, it gets worse. but it is so hard to stop thinking about this, it has become a habbit to think 'oh no what if my hands shake? '

also .........one more thing.. when i like a guy i avoid him like crazyyyyy....to the extent that he may think that i hate him.......... ergh...

i'm just getting really fed up of having to think of things that normal people don't even think about .....and it is really starting to interfere with my life, now that i am 19.....

i don't even know if anybody will read this, i wrote quite alot...but any advice would be great ..

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like normal adolescence to me.

ReputationRep:
    You might have anxiety. Do you feel like you might be having a panic attack? Does your heart race?

It does happen to a lot of people and they find ways to cope with it. But if it's getting worse, you should see someone. I have an anxiety disorder and get medication, which does help with a lot of symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    it has been bugging me for about 2 years now and it is really getting me down with my friends i am outgoing and funny but in social situations like the student union bar where there are lots of people, i feel uncomfortable and nervous. and this is the case especially, if the guy i like is around or something.... i would totally accept feeling nervous but one thing that annoys me is that my hands start shaking??? which sounds weird lol and this is biggg cos u need to be picking up drinks/phone whatevers in ur hand.... but strangely enough nobody has ever caught this yet....

i have realised that it is very psychological as when i don't think about it , i am fine but when i start worrying that my hands will shake, it gets worse. but it is so hard to stop thinking about this, it has become a habbit to think 'oh no what if my hands shake? '

also .........one more thing.. when i like a guy i avoid him like crazyyyyy....to the extent that he may think that i hate him.......... ergh...

i'm just getting really fed up of having to think of things that normal people don't even think about .....and it is really starting to interfere with my life, now that i am 19.....

i don't even know if anybody will read this, i wrote quite alot...but any advice would be great ..
    As digitalis has said, it's normal adolescence. There's no magic trick that can help you, and it doesn't sound as though it's anything medical. We often get like that around people we like, it's psysiological and whilst it's a pain, I do think you tend to grow out of it. It takes some time maturity and often practice to stop it (trying to be around the person you like and acting NORMALLY, hell, even striking up a conversation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanaBeaton101)
    You might have anxiety. Do you feel like you might be having a panic attack? Does your heart race?

It does happen to a lot of people and they find ways to cope with it. But if it's getting worse, you should see someone. I have an anxiety disorder and get medication, which does help with a lot of symptoms.
    I'm sceptical.

Also she mentioned that it's purely psycological that her hand starts shaking. It sounds more like she's just shy. I mean, by all means if she wants she should go to her GP, but I don't think by any means the post indicates she's got anxiety disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    where there are lots of people, i feel uncomfortable and nervous.

I can relate alot
    This is me still, social anxiety, its stemmed from a fear of what people will think of me (spurred by self-hatred) and a fear of failing

With friends who know me im fine, its just im very self concious in more public situations and the more i struggle, the more self-depricating i get

And guys, i think i avoid people i like because if they dont like me/accept me then how can i be good enough!? I realise this is almost a secondary defense mechanism to rejection... i percieve them with all the good habits so its me who failed to be good enough if they dont like me, not them...
    Its.... complex.... but now i push myself to behave as I WANT to behave, regardless of whose there.... act out a confident version of yourself and you might soon realise they are the same!

But im not there yet....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.