Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound like a stupid question but...

Does the bacterium, B. subtilus have beta-lactamase enzymes which could lead to resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics such as Amoxicillin?

Thanks for any help
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?)

Does the bacterium, B. subtilus have beta-lactamase enzymes which could lead to resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics such as Amoxicillin?

Thanks for any help
    Usually if the bacteria contains enzymes which can break down the antibiotic, then will will be resistant to it. However my thoughts are that bacteria can only develop resistance to certain antibiotics, if all of a species of bacteria starts out containing an enzyme which breaks down a certain antibiotic then I may be wrong. But I don't think they all are(although I'm aware mutations happen randomly, and evolution could have mean the pioneers could have started out with those genes). I think an organism of this species must have mutated to develop a resistance, and this resistance can be spread to other bacteriums through vertical gene transmission and horizontal conjugation. So only the bacteriums that have been transferred the genes to create beta-lactamase enzymes will be resistant.

Clearly the same species of bacteria on the other side of the planet won't be able to obtain the genes, because they will not come into contact with the bacteriums which are resistant. Thats my opinion, I do need a little more teaching on this topic though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?)

Thanks for any help
    I think it depends on the strain of Bacillus subtilis that you are using. I don't think the laboratory strain of B. subtilis will have beta lactam resistance unless they have obtained some resistance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.