Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i have this IR spectrum, i can see it has a sp3 C-H stretches , however i am very unsure as to what the other two peaks are. The spectra is shown below

I believe the other two peaks are C=O and C-O but the C-O is far too high , I have shown below the molecule i believe it is.

If you could assist me at all in assigning the unkown peaks I would be very appreciative.

Edit** I also have this IR, if you could let me know which one is a better fit for the molecule

ReputationRep:
    You've got two carbonyl groups which may stretch in unison (symmetric stretch) or alternately (asymmetric stretch). The two peaks at 1745 and 1815 cm-1 correspond to these two stretching modes. Seeing two peaks in the C=O region like that is very typical for anhydrides.

If you're interested, the C-O stretch comes up at around 1000 - 1300 cm-1 so it's probably that somewhat broad peak at just over 1000 cm-1. This signal isn't usually quite that broad though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the ones at 1815 and 1745 are the carbonyls (C=O) stretch, but as above, the C-O stretch isn't usually that broad!

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, as there are two C-O bonds which can stretch symmetrically and asymmetrically as I described with the C=O bonds, maybe the different stretching modes have very similar frequencies which overlap and appear as one broad peak.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i do think it is that molecule for that spectra however i have uploaded another that could be it, which one do you think fits the molecule better, with the new one i have uploaded the C-H peak is shifted to the left which indicates that there is unsaturation which is why i believe that that IR spectra is not for that molecule but if you have any ideas it would be of great help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.