Turn on thread page Beta

Scottish election 2011 - Tuition fees? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ''

ReputationRep:
    If Scotland were independent it would stay part of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmaattrriixx)
    PS. Don't Scotland have to leave EU to start taking tuition fees for me (Swedes and other EU countries)???? Isn't that a big process?
    Scotland isn't an actual country, you do realise? It can't leave the EU.

Tuition fees can only be charged for citizens of other EU countries if they start charging them for domestic students. Whether that will happen or not, no-one really knows - the SNP, Labour and the Lib Dems seem committed to not introducing them in the next four years, but that could quite possibly go out of the window.

(Original post by peacefrog16)
    If Scotland were independent it would stay part of the EU.
    Whilst I inevitably think the chances of that happening are so remote as to not be worth discussing, I can't resist correcting someone on a point of law. If Scotland were to become independent, it would cease to be part of the EU and have to apply for membership. Still, I imagine they would, and would be admitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Scotland isn't an actual country, you do realise? It can't leave the EU.

Tuition fees can only be charged for citizens of other EU countries if they start charging them for domestic students. Whether that will happen or not, no-one really knows - the SNP, Labour and the Lib Dems seem committed to not introducing them in the next four years, but that could quite possibly go out of the window.
    Maybe the could promise to lobby the EU to have the rules changed so they can charge them the same as a student from England. The current law does seem pretty unfair. It could be changed so that they can charge the maximum fees a domestic student might pay. In this context, domestic meaning from the UK.

(Original post by L i b)
    Whilst I inevitably think the chances of that happening are so remote as to not be worth discussing, I can't resist correcting someone on a point of law. If Scotland were to become independent, it would cease to be part of the EU and have to apply for membership. Still, I imagine they would, and would be admitted.
    I've always been confused by this. In that situation, how would they define which is the successor state? Imagine this hypothetical situation. Northern Ireland became part of Ireland a few years previous (just to make it more simple). Then Scotland becomes independent leaving England and Wales as a state. So it's back to how it was before 1707. What makes England and Wales the successor state and not Scotland? Is it because of the higher population? Because that's where the current UK government is based? Or would both "England and Wales" and Scotland cease to be part of the EU, and both have to reapply?

ReputationRep:
    1. What happens with tuition fees if Conservatives/SNP/Labour- come in to power? (Write for every one of those 3, because it is all between these 3)
    The Conservatives want to start charging Scottish students but they have a flying pigs chance of getting in. SNP, Labour and The Lib Dems have said they will keep tuition fees free, although the latter have a record for broken tuition fees promises.

2. Do you think for me starting 2012 that there will be tuition fees? or will it remain free for me?
    That really is a question of who, what. why. The scottish government may be forced to put tuition fees up because of the cuts on the scottish budget over the next few years. If the Conservatives get in you will be paying, if any other party gets in it depends on how much they really value free tuition.

I personally think every citizen in the UK should have free university. So although I am annoyed at the Conservative led coalitions decision to increase my fees I'm not gonna go round telling the Scots they should start charging for universities.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't someone want to introduce a Graduates Tax? Or am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodyshock)
    Yeah, I think the Conservatives do...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-12952344
    No Conservatives want to introduce a 'contribution' where you pay back your tuition fees after your course and after you earn a certain amount of money.

Hmm, maybe the tax thing was for non- Scottish Students? Labour only says they'll keep them free for Scottish Students and the Lib Dems want to find a fair system of paying for EU students.

ReputationRep:
    Nus Scotland are in favour of a graduate tax, as are labour on a national level.

Personally I think looking at tuition fees is massively missing the point in Scotland. Why is it that Scotland is categorically worse than england for getting poor students to go to university? In part because they use giving free tuition as an excuse to give terrible support while you're actually at uni...

ReputationRep:
    Soo... How's the election going? and when is it done?

ReputationRep:
    If we get uni fees for nothing from these parties we must pay in some way . Even thought scotland has no uni fees , is a major negative for people the economic state of britain as a whole.

Countries like germany are growing and industry booming , which may comfort some as there may be jobs for those who understand english and german.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.