Turn on thread page Beta

Why are male comedians infinitely more funny than female comedians? watch

ReputationRep:
    For me female comedians seem to play the 'I'm a female doing comedy' card too much in their jokes. I would love to see a funny female comedian whose range extends beyond the everyday life as a women anecdotes.

There's plenty of good female comedy actresses though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    For me female comedians seem to play the 'I'm a female doing comedy' card too much in their jokes. I would love to see a funny female comedian whose range extends beyond the everyday life as a women anecdotes.

Spot onage

ReputationRep:
    I'm female and I agree too. I don't know what it is tbh. Maybe it is that there are a lot more males that are comedians so females find it hard to get in there. Or maybe its that society views males to be the light hearted funny people whereas females are viewed to be more serious. I just don't know lol

Jo Brand isn't funny, she goes on about being a woman too much and about how fat/ugly she is. I just don't like that kind of humour, it gets boring really quick. Shapi Korosandi is actually quite funny but by female comedian standards. In comparison to the males she wouldn't be rated that highly on my list.

Just for the record, Steven K Amos is the best comedian EVER! hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busby_Babe)
    Men are better than women in most things.

Sports, comedy, cooking, designing, building, inventing, conquering, governing, relaxing and so on.
    Really? Cooking?! Of all things....cooking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keziah_X)
    Also I'd say I'm pretty loud and I'm pretty clever, get As in exams etc... and in evolutionary terms it's all about relying on strength/health/intelligence for both genders, personality wouldn't have been important to neanderthals... .

Oh wow, somewhat of an expert in evolutionary biology I can tell

Let Hitch enlighten you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA

ReputationRep:
    Sarah Silverman is pretty funny.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Female comedians are absolutely terrible, I agree. The only reason painfully unfunny people like Sarah Millicent are TV comedians is because they are female, and there needs to be representation of the female gender on TV. The only decent female comedian is Jo Brand in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)

+1 for you. This is what I think too.

ReputationRep:
    Guys only find girls funny when sex is on the table............or in the bedroom.

Yes, I'm male.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think male comedians are necessarily funnier than females, e.g. Shappi Khorsandi is funnier than many male comedians.

I'd never considered whether comedians were funny based on their sex, just whether their jokes were funny or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I don't think male comedians are necessarily funnier than females, e.g. Shappi Khorsandi is funnier than many male comedians.

I'd never considered whether comedians were funny based on their sex, just whether their jokes were funny or not.
    I can certainly offer up Shazia Mirza as incredibly funny and would like to think my measure of funny is the same as yours. However, there current crop of female comics with TV exposure do seem to play the "I'm a woman being funny card" or go on endlessly about periods and how crap men are. I would imagine there are brilliant female comics at the Edinburgh fringe every year, but somehow they don't break into mainstream.

Jo Brand is just boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CODKING)
    I can certainly offer up Shazia Mirza as incredibly funny and would like to think my measure of funny is the same as yours. However, there current crop of female comics with TV exposure do seem to play the "I'm a woman being funny card" or go on endlessly about periods and how crap men are. I would imagine there are brilliant female comics at the Edinburgh fringe every year, but somehow they don't break into mainstream.

Jo Brand is just boring
    Shazia is also v funny.

There are def some crap female comics around.

I saw Shappi at the Edinburgh fringe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    miranda is deeply unfunny
    this x1,000,000
    didn't she win that comedy award? biggest wtf moment of my tv viewings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)

shappi korsandi is the least funny person I've ever had the misfortune to have encountered. I can only really remember one comedian who's less funny and that's sarah millicent. she just talks about all her revolting problems and it makes me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpthroughtime)
    this x1,000,000
    didn't she win that comedy award? biggest wtf moment of my tv viewings
    if i was female i'd say 'amen sister'.

but im not.

so i wont.

ReputationRep:
    Not all male comedians are funny, and anyway, female comedians are not as mainstream. Plus what has looks got anything to do with humour? It doesn't correlate unless you choose to only laugh at people you find 'attractive'-which is foolish because you cant really help what you laugh at.

ReputationRep:
    females get caught in the trap of having to live up to their gender, i.e having to make jokes that are based around them being feminine or something, and are generally more inhibited than males

ReputationRep:
    generally, women aren't very funny. from my experience the funnier women are almost always the less good looking ones. beautiful women especially, are never funny!!!

ReputationRep:
    Laughing at females is like laughing at the holocaust: you know it's wrong but it's funny all the same.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.