Turn on thread page Beta

Why are male comedians infinitely more funny than female comedians? watch

ReputationRep:
    Your common or garden female comic talks about periods, being fat, how **** men are and being fat. Men don't care for that. We can ****ing see they are fat! Male comedians create humour that everyone can relate to.

Andi Osho, Shappi Khorsandi and Gina Yashere are the only funny comediennes but that's because they use racial humour.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that in general men tend to be funnier and better than making jokes than women. I really don't know why, I suppose it's just one of those things :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Miranda Hart is funny, Sarah Millican has some good moments, but that's about it.

Shappi Khorsandi, Jo Brand, Andi Osho, Holly Walsh, Gena Yashere, Dawn French . . . all cringingly bad.

I think the willy serves as a humour organ :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Even amongst social circles, men are generally much funnier than women. A lot of women can't even take a joke, let alone test the boundaries like guys often do, so I guess they're out of practice. Guys have to pussy foot around women (pardon the pun) a lot when it comes to joking around. I also find it funny how women try to get together, trying to copy how guys hang on on a guys night, and just have fun. Y'all are too *****y to be in a room full of one another. You need supervision. Increasingly a lot of women prefer hanging out with guys-- that says it all!!!

I can barely think of funny female comedians. Some of them have some funny jokes but they are generally inconsistent. Shappy what's-her-face always goes on about ethnicity and I only find the odd joke funny; she tries too hard. Russell Peters on the other hand does pretty much the same thing yet that bloke is bloody hilarious! lol

My favourite female comedian would be Tina Fey. She's good in 30 Rock, did that awesome Sarah Palin imitation and is generally very intelligent and funny without trying too hard. More women like her please and not the ones trying to be a bloke.

ReputationRep:
    Because men have penises and penises are funny.

Simple enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    For me female comedians seem to play the 'I'm a female doing comedy' card too much in their jokes. I would love to see a funny female comedian whose range extends beyond the everyday life as a women anecdotes.

There's plenty of good female comedy actresses though.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I don't think male comedians are necessarily funnier than females, e.g. Shappi Khorsandi is funnier than many male comedians.

I'd never considered whether comedians were funny based on their sex, just whether their jokes were funny or not.
    Oooh no, negged because someone doesn't like Shappi. Boo hoo.

ReputationRep:
    Because womenn aren't funny, I don't care how many feminists try and claim otherwise its true.

Jo Brand is NOT funny

Her routines just go <joke about being fat> <joke about being unattractive> <story about her husband that implies they're going to have sex, then comes to the 'suprise' ending that he doesn't find her attractive and actually wants something else (LOL SO UNEXPECTED!)>

Repeat those 3 over and over. Yeah hilarious.

Only funny girl I've seen is this girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXkwQ...feature=relmfu

(I just picked a random video of hers might not be her best but most of hers are)

ReputationRep:
    men are just way funnier in general

ReputationRep:
    because women try to be like men and men never want to be like women. I mean come on... Even the woman comedian sometimes has to diss herself the fact she is a woman just to make people laugh.

MEGA BUUUURRRNN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Miranda Hart is funny, Sarah Millican has some good moments, but that's about it.

Shappi Khorsandi, Jo Brand, Andi Osho, Holly Walsh, Gena Yashere, Dawn French . . . all cringingly bad.

I think the willy serves as a humour organ :ahee:
    Miranda Hart is about as funny as a dead kitten.

Shappi is reasonable, until you've seen her twice, her bit hasn't changed in her whole career.

I would say French and Saunders were good as a team. Sarah Silverman is perhaps one of the only female comedians I have seen who actually possess wit. Then of course there is Joan Rivers, who is probably the female equivalent of Bob Monkhouse - both very good for the masses, and extremely funny when they are allowed to get 'darker' at the comedy clubs.

I think women suffer from holding a 'minority' status in comedy despite comprising the majority of our population. They are limited in that all the good jokes are taken and done better by men, so what do they have left? 'O my husband is xyz' and that's about it. Men have also cornered the depressed, life is ****, corner of the market. And hearing women go on about that is more annoying than it is funny (although that is perhaps because of their failure to do it well). I guess it's like professional driving - in theory they can do it, in practice very few/none do it well.

Women don't need to be funny to get sex, so they never exercise those skills. Even good looking men can use humour to get more sex. If men weren't funny and more enjoyable to be around I imagine the population of the world would quickly decline. I mean how does someone such as James Corden get laid? Go to the gym? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PygmyShrew)
    Try Sarah Millican, she's so funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFr_pY2kGk
    Shes prime example of exactly what I was talking about, shes highly unfunny I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    Because womenn aren't funny, I don't care how many feminists try and claim otherwise its true.

Jo Brand is NOT funny

Her routines just go <joke about being fat> <joke about being unattractive> <story about her husband that implies they're going to have sex, then comes to the 'suprise' ending that he doesn't find her attractive and actually wants something else (LOL SO UNEXPECTED!)>

Repeat those 3 over and over. Yeah hilarious.

Only funny girl I've seen is this girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXkwQ...feature=relmfu

(I just picked a random video of hers might not be her best but most of hers are)
    I agree. Australia is almost different, Australian men will lower their standards in looks if the woman makes them laugh.

This is a good video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bObItmxAGc

ReputationRep:
    They're not imo, there are just waay more male comedians out there :dontknow:
    Ellen DeGeneres
    Tig Notaro
    Megan Mullally
    Debra Messing
    Tina Fey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PygmyShrew)
    Try Sarah Millican, she's so funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFr_pY2kGk
    Remove the Geordie accent and she would be about as good as any man at an amateur night.

ReputationRep:
    Because men tend to be more creative than women and thus able to come out with better jokes?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea why male comedians are so much funnier.

So many female comedians rely on a schtick, e.g. Jo Brand "I'm a fat feminist!", Sarah Millican, Miranda Hart "I'm a fat spinster!", Shappi Korsandi, "I'm Iranian!" and Andi Osho is the worst.
    But why? Is it safe for them to make jokes about themselves - are women afraid of causing offence? Is inoffensive comedy, and therefore people that stick to it, bad?

I don't really think so. So many male comedians are entirely inoffensive. Michael Macintyre (love him or hate him, he's ****ing popular), Milton Jones, practically everyone bar Frankie Boyle who's been on the mock the week panel are so inoffensive you could take them to mums for tea.

It's truely baffling, and men are just generally funnier in real life too. You'll have one or two girls in a group with a sense of humour while the rest just miss half the jokes.
    WHY IS THIS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    A loud and confident girl is told to shut up, stop being so 'arrogant' and calm down, or she'll never get a boyfriend; a loud and confident boy is encouraged, praised and seen as a 'lad'. While this is a generalisation, the traits that make most male comedians funny (confidence, going a bit too far, trusting in their own ability to make others laugh, charisma) are discouraged in girls from a young age.

Also, why are Miranda and Jo Brand any less women because they look 'manly' or aren't good-looking? A lot of male comedians aren't good-looking - Jesus, look at Frankie Boyle! - and yet they're hilarious; why should women have to be good-looking if they want to be taken seriously as female comedians?
    I think the point about them being manly is more a sad indictment of the very issue the OP brings up. It's similar to when Thatcher was prime minister. Some people said it's a great achievement to have a woman as a prime minister. Others pointed out that she was effectively a bloke in a womans body in that role - ie, she had to become very manly, to fit in with the male-dominated crowd, in order to obtain the position that she did. I mean, she was called the 'iron lady'. And I think it says a thing or two that the two comediennes most mentioned here - Jo Brand and Miranda - are both pretty blokey. There's even a joke in Mirandas show about her getting confused with a male cross dresser. Meanwhile Jo Brand has the short hair and propensity towards swearing, neither of which are by any means the sole domain of men, but it seems like the only successful female comediennes do so by emulating men, rather than being funny women.

There are a lot of great female comedy writers, though, so perhaps it's due to the somewhat confrontational, aggressive nature of standup.

ReputationRep:
    Stand up can be very competitive and macho, and the same goes for panel shows like Mock the Week. I think that's why there aren't many female stand ups full stop. I do agree that most tend to overplay the 'I'm a woman doing stand up' thing though.

However, there are a lot of women doing character based comedy, and they can be very funny.

ReputationRep:
    Being a comedian is tough, and the lifestyle is generally more fitting for a man. For e.g it's easier for a man to go round the country and do gigs, staying at seedy motels and travelling alone than it is for a woman. Most great comedians, didn't instantly become great, it takes years before they find themselves.
    Many women drop out before they find themselves.

Here's a comedy central show to a us comedienne - jessi klien who i think has come into her own.

http://www.putlocker.com/file/3LIXZ0W1V1YCS0KK

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.