Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are male comedians infinitely more funny than female comedians? watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't know, it's one of those things that happen. Plus you also tend to notice it when people just make conversations or banter.

I'm more interested why Iranians tend to be so funny, if think it'll make me expect that every Iranian I meet is going to be a funny person

ReputationRep:
    Miranda is actually terrible, I don't understand how people think she is funny.

Shappy khorsandi is horrendously bad, I just turn off when she comes on, I want to punch her if I watch her for more than 3 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    All this point is sort of quite general, I would like to apply it to two female comedians I have seen mentioned quite a lot.

It is boring how Jo Brand has to bring up how she is large, and also how she is ironically not a lesbian haha not. It has not changed since the 90's, even on panel shows the inevitable bringing up of her weight is almost met with yawns, or polite laughter.

Sharpi is better. She is younger, so probably more clued up to the more current trends in society.

However when I see any comedian basing much of their material on there ethnicity or gender and nothing else (not saying Sharpi does this) it is also boring. BAR stephen K amos, he does it well.

What I mean by boring is that it seems the easy card to pull out, when you are considered a minority in the context whether that be ethnic or gender related, to poke jibes at yourself via you ethnicity, gender seems tired. Eddie murphy did it great in 80s and R. Pryor before him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotwars)
    why is this? its not only me who thinks this. all my family think it and my friends do, which includes females too. the female comedians who are a bit funny are kind of manly as well and not good looking eg. Miranda and Jo Brand.

why are male comedians infinitely more funny than female comedians?
    Same reason why the geniuses in physics, maths, art, design are all men!
    At the top of every field men excel even in cooking!
    There are 5.5 male genius to 1 female genius, women tend to be average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sface)
    Because men tend to be more creative than women and thus able to come out with better jokes?
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Really? Cooking?! Of all things....cooking?
    Yes, the best chefs are men!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busby_Babe)
    Men are better than women in most things.

Sports, comedy, cooking, designing, building, inventing, conquering, governing, relaxing and so on.
    Spot on!! it is to do with the genius factor, women lack that

ReputationRep:
    Drink and drugs help, which women stray away from, usually.

Most male comedians lacked in a certain dept (lloks or popularity), and tried to make up for it by making ppl laugh.
    When women are in that position, they just spread their legs.

jokes, but it's kinda true.

ReputationRep:
    Sarah Silverman - just have a look, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, though, I agree. I find female comedians kind of annoying.... I don't know, maybe it's BECAUSE they're so rare, so when they make it they have that smug 'female' vibe. No clue, but agreed.

I'm sure there are some hilarious girls out there, but for some reason they're just not famous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)

Yeah, though, I agree. I find female comedians kind of annoying.... I don't know, maybe it's BECAUSE they're so rare, so when they make it they have that smug 'female' vibe. No clue, but agreed.

I'm sure there are some hilarious girls out there, but for some reason they're just not famous.
    yeh she's funny but more shock funny than anything else.

check out doug stanhope. he's sarah silverman X10.

ReputationRep:
    Because men are funnier than women.

I'm worried that you even have to ask the question. I always assumed it was obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in comedy, or anyone who's ever interacted with people at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    The same Sarah Silverman that ran out of material after 35 minutes at the Apollo?

The one who's entire comedy repertoire consists of Jew jokes and toilet humour?

Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NerdBOY1)
    Same reason why the geniuses in physics, maths, art, design are all men!
    At the top of every field men excel even in cooking!
    There are 5.5 male genius to 1 female genius, women tend to be average.
    You see the same effect in things like height as well, it's fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    Although shes not a professional comedian (she could be if she wanted to though), the funniest person I've ever known is a girl. Yes shes not attractive and is quite tall and big but shes still a female. I've never met a guy who can compare to how funny she is. I'm just saying this as obviously the OP wanted everyone to say its because men are funnier than women blah blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    because society is sexist when it comes to comedians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i think miranda is actually pretty but i guess i'm not gay

i think there are a few good female comedians eg. jo brand, miranda, andi osho is alright, shappi corsandi

but there are loads of good male comedians, i cant even be bothered to start naming them. i think it's because guys are generally funnier than girls, maybe because in evolutionary terms guys have had to rely more on personality than looks whereas it's the other way round primarily for women (don't bother denying it, it's not a criticism)... that's just a guess though. most guys i know are funnier than the girls. i also think the really loud girls are usually kind of thick so aren't witty enough whereas there's lots of both loud and witty guys and loud and thick guys.
    i agree with the above. i'd also add that being quiet and demure is often considered feminine; whereas being loud and funny, masculine.

ReputationRep:
    oh and one other point. women i think are often more serious, take life more seriously than men: this tendency, when taken to extremes, shows up in higher proportions of women who suffer from neurotic conditions like anxiety, eating disorders, and depression.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's just the female comedians you've heard. If you ever go to a comedy festival or the Edinburgh Fringe you'll find some excellent female comedians.

ReputationRep:
    Because women try too hard to be funny and end up just insulting themselves.... thats the only time I laugh

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else google who 'Miranda' is and still doesn't know?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.