Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I have an interview for a Library Shelver on Tuesday 5th.

What questions will they ask, and will they ask me to do anything else?

This will be my first job if I get it.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I've worked as a Library Assistant as two different libraries (so basically a shelver job plus customer service and a few backroom jobs) and one of my interviews had a shelving test, where I had to put books in alphabetical order. The questions I had would be different as they mostly related to customer service (aggressive customers, disabled people etc) so can't help you on that I'm afraid! Maybe stuff about why you want to work there and how well you work independently?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I used to work in a library shelving books

My interview was pretty informal, it was with the manager and one of the librarians. A lot of the questions focussed on my school work experience because I had spent two weeks in a library - despite the fact that it was four years before.

It will probably be quite straightforward, such as asking what you would do in certain situations, what qualities you have that makes you suitable for the job etc.

They may give you a shelf of books and ask you to put them in order - mine had one of fiction and one of non-fiction, so they can check you know names and numbers as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~)
    I used to work in a library shelving books

My interview was pretty informal, it was with the manager and one of the librarians. A lot of the questions focussed on my school work experience because I had spent two weeks in a library - despite the fact that it was four years before.

It will probably be quite straightforward, such as asking what you would do in certain situations, what qualities you have that makes you suitable for the job etc.

They may give you a shelf of books and ask you to put them in order - mine had one of fiction and one of non-fiction, so they can check you know names and numbers as well.
    I have work experience too. But I was really volunteering there during the Summer holidays. I'll just say how much I enjoyed it there. Thanks for the help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    I've worked as a Library Assistant as two different libraries (so basically a shelver job plus customer service and a few backroom jobs) and one of my interviews had a shelving test, where I had to put books in alphabetical order. The questions I had would be different as they mostly related to customer service (aggressive customers, disabled people etc) so can't help you on that I'm afraid! Maybe stuff about why you want to work there and how well you work independently?
    Oh I see, but they still might ask me customer related stuff anyway, so thanks for the tips!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.