The Student Room Group

Do you think you're 'good' at guessing someone's age?

Trivial topic but I was thinking about it earlier and wondered what other people thought :smile:

Today, my maths teacher was asking us if we had any plans for the Easter holidays. After discussing our plans we asked what hers were, to which she replied "Nothing much but I think my husband might have something planned, seeing as it's my 40th"

40th? 40th?! She honestly doesn't look a day over 30!! :tongue:

I was talking about it with my friends afterwards and found out that my friend's mum is only 42 but, without wanting to sound too harsh, looks about 55!

I've always thought I was good at guessing people's ages...

If you had to guess the ages of people walking through your town centre, do you think you'd guess most of them to within about 4/5 years?

Have you ever been completely shocked at someone's real age?

I know it depends on certain factors, such as whether a woman is wearing make-up or dyes her hair, but just in general :smile:

(And yes. Yes I am bored :tongue:)

Scroll to see replies

no, i'm rubbish, you're either young or old or really old, thats as far as i go.
Im normally pretty good! I usually get it with in 2 or 3 years!
Reply 3
Lol I'm terrible at guessing ages. Anyone that's younger than 16 I automatically deem as being "about 12".

Brian Cox shocked me with his age. When I first saw him I thought he was in his 20s, but he's actually like 42/43 or something. I was sitting there like 'mind.. blown.. :|'
With people my age yes.
I wouldn't say I'm good or great though.
Reply 5
You've reminded of the time when one of my teachers announced that she would be celebrating a 'big' birthday that weekend and so we assumed she meant it was her 40th.

It was her 30th....oops :colondollar:
I'm terrible. My brother acts like an 8 year old when he's like 15 so it completely throws off my perception of age.
Original post by Grund
Lol I'm terrible at guessing ages. Anyone that's younger than 16 I automatically deem as being "about 12".

Brian Cox shocked me with his age. When I first saw him I thought he was in his 20s, but he's actually like 42/43 or something. I was sitting there like 'mind.. blown.. :|'

Aha i quite literally always do this :tongue:
there is a girl at work and i said she was 32 but she was 26... she started crying about it as well!
Reply 9
old geezer - how old do you think i am?
Me - 55?
old geezer - no, im 75
me - i thought i could smell wee

i try not to talk about peoples ages
I'm good at guessing age of South Asians and Caucasians, that's about it for now.
OMG, in secondary school this beautifal trainee teacher shadowed my media class, my group/table were placing bets amongst ourselves guessing how old she was, when we did eventually ask her, she told my teacher, and we got in trouble.
I'm good at guessing my age if that counts?
Reply 13
I am horrendous at this :biggrin:
Reply 14
no, absolutely awful, seriously, i'm sooooooooooooo bad!!:P
I'm crap at it. But unfortunately this excuse won't hold up in court and the girl's dad still wants to press charges.
Reply 16
I hardly do it. I don't want to offend anybody, so when I do, do it I underestimate very largely on purpose.
Reply 17
i'm awful at it! ID'ing people at work is a nightmare, i'm really over the top cos i know i'm so bad at it, and end up ID'ing people who are like 35. :frown:
i think they should take it as a compliment :p:
I'm terribleeee at guessing people's ages!!! I think it's because I always get told that I look about 25 when I'm only 20, so I assume that other people are older than they are....
Reply 19
Original post by Sara_No_H!
You've reminded of the time when one of my teachers announced that she would be celebrating a 'big' birthday that weekend and so we assumed she meant it was her 40th.

It was her 30th....oops :colondollar:

Ouch! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending