Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me? This may seem really trivial but to my 15 year old son it feels like the end of the world! He has just been told that, following a few minor problems,(incorrect school uniform etc) he is not allowed to go to the leavers Prom. He has been studying hard and now feels totally demotivated. Do you think he has any rights under The Childrens Human Rights Act?! We as parents were not informed. Thanks, Rhian

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he has any rights. The school seems to have good reason for doing it. Only person who can convince the school is you I think.

Lol no. Prom is not a human right.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but do you not think we could get somewhere with the "United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child"?
    Article 12:
    * Every child and young person has the right to express his or her views freely – about everything that affects him or her.
    * The child’s or young person’s views must be given ‘due weight’ depending on his or her age and maturity.
    * The child or young person has the right to be heard in all decision-making processes, including in court hearings. The child or young person can speak for him or herself, or someone else can speak for him or her.
    Article 28:
    Governments must make sure that school discipline protects the dignity of children and young people, and is in line with their rights in this Convention – so no hitting or humiliation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhian123!)
    Thanks, but do you not think we could get somewhere with the "United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child"?
    Article 12:
    * Every child and young person has the right to express his or her views freely – about everything that affects him or her.
    * The child’s or young person’s views must be given ‘due weight’ depending on his or her age and maturity.
    * The child or young person has the right to be heard in all decision-making processes, including in court hearings. The child or young person can speak for him or herself, or someone else can speak for him or her.
    Article 28:
    Governments must make sure that school discipline protects the dignity of children and young people, and is in line with their rights in this Convention – so no hitting or humiliation.
    Tbh, i'm sure for an event as small as prom in terms of for a school if you are serious enough to send them a well worded letter they won't think twice to let him go. I mean it doesn't seem like a lot why he isn't allowed to be going anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - He can't have done too much as they never bothered to contact me!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.