Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wind turbines are killing many thousands of bats contributing to a population decline that may be costing farmers millions of pounds, say researchers.

Scientists found the blades of wind turbines were a major threat to bats particularly when they are migrating.

Bats are useful to farmers because they eat large numbers of crop damaging insects, reducing the amount that has to be spent on pesticides.

Writing in the journal Science, the researchers estimated that bats could be worth billions to agriculture around the world.

Several migratory tree-living species of bats were being slaughtered "in unprecedented numbers" by wind turbines, said the researcher.

The work concentrated on North America but backs up research carried out in Britain that had similar findings.

Researchers urged policy-makers not to wait before addressing the issue of bat decline.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...pulations.html

What is it that the environmentalists say? That wind turbines are good for the environment? I hardly consider wind turbins as environmentally friendly if they are the cause of a massive decline in bat populations which then results in greater use of pesticides.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read the thread as it's not my interest sorry, but i liked what you did in the title!

ReputationRep:
    this was on qi; green episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=qi

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you're trying to get a 1-up over wind turbines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Wind turbines are killing many thousands of bats contributing to a population decline that may be costing farmers millions of pounds, say researchers.

Scientists found the blades of wind turbines were a major threat to bats particularly when they are migrating.

Bats are useful to farmers because they eat large numbers of crop damaging insects, reducing the amount that has to be spent on pesticides.

Writing in the journal Science, the researchers estimated that bats could be worth billions to agriculture around the world.

Several migratory tree-living species of bats were being slaughtered "in unprecedented numbers" by wind turbines, said the researcher.

The work concentrated on North America but backs up research carried out in Britain that had similar findings.

Researchers urged policy-makers not to wait before addressing the issue of bat decline.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...pulations.html

What is it that the environmentalists say? That wind turbines are good for the environment? I hardly consider wind turbins as environmentally friendly if they are the cause of a massive decline in bat populations which then results in greater use of pesticides.
    Indeed if you want a balanced and sensible article about the environment, the Telegraph is exactly the source you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    You sound like you're trying to get a 1-up over wind turbines
    Haha I have seen you on this forum for months now and it has only just hit me what your username is :rolleyes: Haha

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.