Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My jaw jolts out and I blink frequently and repeatedly but at first I thought I was stretching my neck without realising but now I do it without no control, it makes me so sad and I don't know what to do.
    I've stopped going out and I dread being in lessons at college in fear of doing it, I don't want to go to the doctors, I don't think they would take me seriously, I havn't told anyone, I don't know what to do any help would make my day

ReputationRep:
    **** off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly certain I have it too. Do you get premonitory urges?

"Immediately preceding tic onset, most individuals with Tourette's are aware of an urge,[18][19] similar to the need to sneeze or scratch an itch. Individuals describe the need to tic as a buildup of tension, pressure, or energy[19][20] which they consciously choose to release, as if they "had to do it"[21] to relieve the sensation[19] or until it feels "just right".[21][22] Examples of the premonitory urge are the feeling of having something in one's throat, or a localized discomfort in the shoulders, leading to the need to clear one's throat or shrug the shoulders. The actual tic may be felt as relieving this tension or sensation, similar to scratching an itch. Another example is blinking to relieve an uncomfortable sensation in the eye. These urges and sensations, preceding the expression of the movement or vocalization as a tic, are referred to as "premonitory sensory phenomena" or premonitory urges. Because of the urges that precede them, tics are described as semi-voluntary or "unvoluntary",[13] rather than specifically involuntary; they may be experienced as a voluntary, suppressible response to the unwanted premonitory urge.[15] Published descriptions of the tics of Tourette's identify sensory phenomena as the core symptom of the syndrome, even though they are not included in the diagnostic criteria.[20][23][24]"

Like that?

ReputationRep:
    You ought to see your GP who can put you in touch with a Psychiatrist

ReputationRep:
    Go and see a psychotherapist or similar type person, they should be able to teach you relaxation techniques so you can stop it, although I may not be right, might be best to go to your ****ing GP.

ReputationRep:
    See a Psychiatrist. This is as Tourettes is in the psychiatry books. They can help you manage it and may even offer you some medication for it. Interesting as I am currently doing an AS level Biology issue report on Behavioural disorders and treatments.

ReputationRep:
    Also, ignore anyone who says you're being offensive for thinking you have it because they're too lazy, ignorant and incompetent to learn about Tourette's and discover it's not actually just the media-hyped coprolalia that most people think it is.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.talktalk.co.uk/media/imag...ig-brother.jpg

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.