The Student Room Group

Is it any much easier to get a full-time job than a part-time job?

I'm currently in college full-time doing a few vocational courses, and since September last year I've been trying to get part-time work, but have secured nothing :sigh:. Really, I've probably applied to over 200 jobs now (or something like that, I'm not really counting tbh). All this disappointment is really getting me down, especially as I have spent so much time and effort trying to find work yet it has hardly gotten me anywhere.

So I'm thinking of just giving up the job hunting for a while, at least until I finish college this July and maybe starting looking again properly then in the summer, because with no college restrictions I would be super flexible with my times and it should be somewhat easier to get something, right? I'm really interested in working in retail, and I wouldn't mind doing it full-time, so do you think I'll have an easier time finding work when I finish college? Heck, I wouldn't even mind night shifts or early mornings if that's all that was available. Also, could the job market get any much better within the next few months?
:bump:
I found it easier to get part time, but I think it's all down to luck. If you were to stop hunting for a bit, maybe you could spend your time volunteering in a charity shop, that way when you start applying for retail jobs again you have something else on your CV.
Original post by Zebrastripes
I found it easier to get part time, but I think it's all down to luck. If you were to stop hunting for a bit, maybe you could spend your time volunteering in a charity shop, that way when you start applying for retail jobs again you have something else on your CV.

I already do that, actually. I'm currently volunteering at a PDSA shop for 8 hours over two days every week, and have been since November. Not only that, I've also done several different volunteering stints over the years since I was 12, like picking up litter in the street, washing people's cars, packing Xmas cards for Blue Peter, tidying up a messed up garden, painting walls, etc etc. Really, I don't know how much more volunteering I need to do for an employer to take notice. Urgh, tiring.
Original post by Zebrastripes

This does not help at all. With retail, or anything that's not specific, it's who you know not what you know. So having **** loads of experience/an amazing ( Useless in my words ) degree will not help !
Reply 5
I think part time jobs are easier to get. Don't know if there is much truth behind this or not (maybe someone could clear this up). Companies are being asked by the government to employ more people on part time hours than 1 full timer to lower unemployment levels.
Original post by Tyler.
I think part time jobs are easier to get. Don't know if there is much truth behind this or not (maybe someone could clear this up). Companies are being asked by the government to employ more people on part time hours than 1 full timer to lower unemployment levels.

OK, fair enough. That'd still be kinda OK I guess, because when I'm not in college anymore at least I'd still have more options as I would be able to try for part-time jobs that are, say Monday to Thursday 10am to 2pm, and not worry about travelling to and from college either, rather than keep competing for all the weekend jobs that get taken up by so many other students with the same time restrictions.
Reply 7
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
OK, fair enough. That'd still be kinda OK I guess, because when I'm not in college anymore at least I'd still have more options as I would be able to try for part-time jobs that are, say Monday to Thursday 10am to 2pm, and not worry about travelling to and from college either, rather than keep competing for all the weekend jobs that get taken up by so many other students with the same time restrictions.

Also it's good to get your foot in the door and get some experience under your belt.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Tyler.
Also it's good to get your foot in the door and get some experience under your belt.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks :smile:. I'm trying not to worry or get too disappointed at the moment. This crappy job market is irritating as hell, but I guess there's not much I can do about it till things get better. College and volunteering keep me occupied for now, so I'll just see what happens next :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending