Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think a 2 week old baby is okay to be left alone with father for a weekend? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Recognising when she is there and remembering she exists when she is not are two different things. A 2 week old baby has no concept of object (or people) permanence.

About 6/7 months old a baby would miss its mother because it realises she still exists when the baby can't see her. Until then, it's just mommies fooling themselves into thinking the baby misses them. In reality, it doesn't care a jot, because it doesn't remember her as ever existing! :]

Quite an interesting topic, research: object permanence in infants.
    Fair point, I haven't actually experimented with taking any small children away from their mothers and poking their brains to see if they remember them while they're away.

ReputationRep:
    That's really dumb... a mother is a parent. A father is a parent. If a mother or father is responsible etc. then there is no reason why they shouldn't be alone with them :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Fair point, I haven't actually experimented with taking any small children away from their mothers and poking their brains to see if they remember them while they're away.
    You don't have to do that actually :P Babies only start to understand peekaboo and look for toys they've dropped out of sight between 6-9 months, because, if they can't sense it, it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    You should do. Poking is fun. :X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    As a doctor I would be concerned about the post natal health of this mother.

2 Weeks post birth she should still be all but clutching her baby and snarling at strangers from uber new mother hormones/instincts.

To be parted and left in someone elses care - even the father, for more than a few hours indicates poor bonding (possible early sign of post natal depression
    So, because she's willing to leave her baby with the father (who I assume she trusts completely) for 2 days, you'd be worried about her mental health? My mother went back to work 3 weeks after having me, and she wasn't depressed or crazy.

OP - I don't see what's wrong with it. I say it's fine no matter what age the baby is.

ReputationRep:
    I love babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    You don't have to do that actually :P Babies only start to understand peekaboo and look for toys they've dropped out of sight between 6-9 months, because, if they can't sense it, it doesn't exist.
    Haha, I was teasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roloqueen)
    Wow you are clearly a complete ****ing moron.

Babies cry constantly, need attention constantly. Just because you become a mother doesn't mean you stop needing to sleep, craving relaxation and having a life / wanting to see friends / wanting to do stuff. Everyone needs a break. It's completely understandable for a mother to want some time away. The rest of her life hasn't stopped.

Wow you are a completely not nice person, are you?? :cute:

In my eyes, if you aren't prepared to give up your entire life for your child, maybe you shouldn't have one. Being a parent is about being happy to unconditionally love and care for a child, whether you have needs or not, the needs of your child should always come first - and if the rest of your life has to stop then so be it. Of course the mother should spend some time away from the child having a break to make sure she is looking after herself and letting herself relax, but going away for a whole weekend seems slightly extreme when you've spent your whole life without a child, 9 months waiting to meet this kid, and then 2 weeks later you leave for a weekend.... that is why I said I think it is okay if the mother HAS to leave.

Anyway, since when has someones opinion been wrong? 'Do you think' means we are all entitled to our opinion, so really don't see why you are wasting your time arguing against others viewpoints.

ReputationRep:
    ... Which is why human society values the monogamous couple.

ReputationRep:
    Yes as long as he knows the ropes too. Obviously if she's breastfeeding then it would be a problem.

The majority of mothers from what i've seen actually don't feel comfortable being away from their baby, so 2 weeks may be a bit of a stretch - some even struggle at leaving them at 1 year.

But technically no, theres nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll look after the child, and teach it the ways of the Dark Side.

(Original post by sandeep90)
    That clip is so funny that the first time I ever saw it I laughed so hard I nearly vomited

(Original post by secret_geek)
    That is literally such bull****, most mothers NEED/WANT a break to STOP them getting post natal depression.
    Its not about them wanting a break, its about them feeling they can't and not wanting to be more than 10 feet away from their baby. (usually)

(Original post by cybele)
    So, because she's willing to leave her baby with the father (who I assume she trusts completely) for 2 days, you'd be worried about her mental health? My mother went back to work 3 weeks after having me, and she wasn't depressed or crazy.
    And my great-gran smoked 60/day for 80 years and died this year at the age of 96.
    An equally pointless anecdote that does nothing to detract from the main point.

People don't have lightbulbs come on to show depression - its these sort of vague cues that must be identified. They are not specific, but it should trigger those around the mum to be more aware and observant.
    Missing post natal depression can be devestating for mother and baby

Perhaps the op should put a poll up with 'yes its normal, I'm a mother' and 'yes its normal I'm not a mother' type options.
    Would be enlightening I'm sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.