Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the term "No Homo" is homophobic? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to care about it, not so much now, but it still does irritate me slightly.

Whether it is offensive or not and what it connotes is one thing; the fact that it is inherently homophobic is another.

It's a joke. A homophobic joke, if only slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Why is that relevant? Because if you were gay then it would be understandable that you find it so offensive, but if not then you are just pathetic.

So what are you?
    Bisexual, lol.

And I still hold that it's hypocritical to use the term, because it is my belief that hardly anyone who says "no homo" would say that curry statement in public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    Bisexual, lol.

And I still hold that it's hypocritical to use the term, because it is my belief that hardly anyone who says "no homo" would say that curry statement in public.
    Because there is absolutely no point in stating "no paki". That's because you would be able to tell, one way or another if they were from a Pakistani heritage, but not if one was gay. No homo is a little joke, or slur that is not intended to offend, but it is not in any way saying that heterosexuality is better than homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bisexual and I find it quite an irritating phrase.
    Yeah, it's just a shorthand way of saying 'I'm not gay', but the implication often is more along the lines of 'I'm normal, don't worry'.
    Don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this.

ReputationRep:
    HETERO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I can see why it could be seen as offensive, but I don't find it to be so.
    I've never heard it used outside of TSR though
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Because there is absolutely no point in stating "no paki". That's because you would be able to tell, one way or another if they were from a Pakistani heritage, but not if one was gay. No homo is a little joke, or slur that is not intended to offend, but it is not in any way saying that heterosexuality is better than homosexuality.
    Because everyone who says "no homo" means it as a joke and doesn't say it because they dislike gays and don't want to be associated with them? You're speaking for a lot of people here! Sure you know their intentions?

ReputationRep:
    No homo :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Gay people should just say "No hetero" evens stevens

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's very offensive and hypocritical to use such a term.
    You should really watch Steve Hughes' sketch on Political Correctness, then you'll realise how retarded you sound to most of the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Black)
    You should really watch Steve Hughes' sketch on Political Correctness, then you'll realise how retarded you sound to most of the population.
    There's a difference between "no homo" and "ba ba black sheep". This is not political correctness, but tackling offensive and homophobic behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you use it, in general no.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between "no homo" and "ba ba black sheep". This is not political correctness, but tackling offensive and homophobic behaviour.
    Would you care to enumerate exactly how my denial of being homosexual can be construed as offensive in any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Black)
    Would you care to enumerate exactly how my denial of being homosexual can be construed as offensive in any way?
    Because it's implying that being a homosexual is undesirable and negative, thus why a disclaimer is issued.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's implying that being a homosexual is undesirable and negative, thus why a disclaimer is issued.
    So if I denied that I was an African or that I was female. Then by default I must be a racist and sexist. Since using your logic, issuing a denial is tantamount to denouncing something as inferior.

Have a nice life, judging people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    No, it's just kinda retarded.

Why are you so afraid of something thinking you're gay because you're a girl and think another girl is pretty, for example?

Who cares if someone thinks you're gay?
    This.

There should be no need for 'no homo' because in an ideal world it shouldn't matter. Saying no homo just makes you look like an idiot imo. It reminds me of that craze of saying 'not' after a statement when I was about 10. Like... 'That dress looks nice on you.... nooooot!' is the same as me going: 'OMG Jessica Alba looks really sexy in that dress.... no homo.' :sigh:
    I suppose the *implication* is that there's something wrong with homosexuality and it's sort of like a 'Oh, don't worry, I'm straight! Hee hee!' assertation... but meh, I just think it's silly. I don't think it's ever meant in an overtly homophobic way- mostly because I doubt homophobes would even be able to utter anything that could even be construed as slightly gay... but I just think it's a bit of a stupid phrase. I've never heard it outside TSR....

ReputationRep:
    Do you?
    http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4784/camron.gif

ReputationRep:
    Well lots of gays find it offensive, even if it is meant not to be.

Just because something is not intended to be offensive, it can be unfortunately
    As its not meant to be, it's their problem if they get offended tbqh. I don't think that people should pussyfoot around just because in some situations something could possibly be found offensive by certain people. As long as they don't intend to offend and they don't do it to anyone they know would be offended by it, I don't see a problem.

I also don't see why people should be slated for saying that they are not homosexual - surely if that is the message that they wish to communicate then that is up to them, provided it is not an offensive slant aimed at anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay and I don't find it offensive. Granted, i don't really see the point to it either, though.

I never feel the need to clarify my sexual preference after saying 'Josh Hartnett is such a hottie' with /no hetty.

ReputationRep:
    I did find it a bit dodgy when I started to hear it being used, don't personally feel the need to end my comments with a disclaimer of that sort - you can tell when there's sexual intent, no?

Again perhaps it isn't intentionally offensive but I do think we ought to reflect about what the phrase could be saying about insecurities about or aversion to homosexuality? I don't know (m)any women who use the phrase, but it's probably to do with the accepted norm around women expressing affection and so on. Interesting topic to explore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.