The Student Room Group

Do you think the term "No Homo" is homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ulo
I did find it a bit dodgy when I started to hear it being used, don't personally feel the need to end my comments with a disclaimer of that sort - you can tell when there's sexual intent, no?

Again perhaps it isn't intentionally offensive but I do think we ought to reflect about what the phrase could be saying about insecurities about or aversion to homosexuality? I don't know (m)any women who use the phrase, but it's probably to do with the accepted norm around women expressing affection and so on. Interesting topic to explore.

I am not surprised you don't know (m)any women who use the phrase - afaik it started on 4chan etc and is very much a piece of internet language.
No, Most people that think so are extreme leftists or the occasional over-sensitive LGBT spokesman.
Reply 62
i don't think it is but tbh i couldn't care less if it was, i'd still say it, i'm not going to censor myself.
Reply 63
I dont find it homophobic but its strange when guys say “no homo” after they do something “gay”, which includes anything from hugging a male friend or telling another boy that he has nice shoes. But what about these situations?

“I love you, mum no incest”

“I love my dog no zoophilia”

“I wish grandma were still alive because I love her and miss her no necrophilia”

“I love my students no pedophilia”

'':insert compliment for the opposite sex: - no sexual intent''

They all sound stupid because they are stupid and for that reason whenever I hear someone say it I am like 'bitch we know, calm your tits down'.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by mevidek
Well lots of gays find it offensive, even if it is meant not to be.

Just because something is not intended to be offensive, it can be unfortunately :frown:

How do you know?
Reply 65
Original post by BradP
I dont find it homophobic but its strange when guys say “no homo” after they do something “gay”, which includes anything from hugging a male friend or telling another boy that he has nice shoes. But what about these situations?

“I love you, mum no incest”

“I love my dog no zoophilia”

“I wish grandma were still alive because I love her and miss her no necrophilia”

“I love my students no pedophilia”

'':insert compliment for the opposite sex: - no sexual intent''

They all sound stupid because they are stupid and for that reason whenever I hear someone say it I am like 'bitch we know, calm your tits down'.

Are you familiar with the concept of banter? It's just a light-hearted joke, nothing more.
Reply 66
Original post by qasman
Are you familiar with the concept of banter? It's just a light-hearted joke, nothing more.

Did you even bother reading the post? I didnt say I find it offensive or homophpobic; and I get it that its supposed to be a 'joke' but I just find it plain stupid. If it is so necessary to include 'no homo' in this light hearted banter, why dont people include the other examples that I mentioned earlier? There is no 'joke' in saying 'no homo'.

People try to shove a lot of extremely unnecessary and stupid things under the name of 'lighthearted banter'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BradP
Did you even bother reading the post? I didnt say I find it offensive or homophpobic; and I get it that its supposed to be a 'joke' but I just find it plain stupid. If it is so necessary to include 'no homo' in this light hearted banter, why dont people include the other examples that I mentioned earlier?

People try to shove a lot of extremely unnecessary and stupid things under the name of 'lighthearted banter'.

Surely shoving extremely unnecessary and stupid things into lighthearted banter is an integral part of lighthearted banter, which is by definition, often extremely unnecessary and stupid?
Reply 68
Original post by TheFatController
Surely shoving extremely unnecessary and stupid things into lighthearted banter is an integral part of lighthearted banter, which is by definition, often extremely unnecessary and stupid?

I was under the impression that banter was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and done in good humour. Saying 'no homo' and establishing your insecurity while trying to dismiss it is neither witty nor fun in my eyes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
This thread makes me want to cut myself!

No Emo.

Original post by BradP
Saying 'no homo' and establishing your insecurity while trying to dismiss it

I think it's actually establishing that you're not insecure about homosexuality, therefore find it okay to have a little joke/banter about it.

Nobody is really that insecure enough to feel the need to post 'no homo' to prove you're not homosexual over the internet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
depends on the context on which it is used in :s-smilie:
no, not wanting to be homosexual is not homophobic. i feel.

homophobic is when you think gays should be banned from straight clubs because they might grope you. i think.
It's not homophobic to state you aren't homosexual, just as it's not heterophobic to state you're a homosexual.
Stating your sexuality, whether it be by stating what you aren't as opposed to what you are, shouldn't cause anyone offence, unless used to slander someone else.
It is kind of a stupid phrase. If I was messing around and said something that might have same sex implications, I'd more likely tag it with "nah, I'm straight", rather than denying another sexual preference.

Usually I just tag it with a wink; that way the other dude is left unsure whether that wink was dismissing my sexual comments as a joke, or reinforcing them :wink:
Reply 73
I'm gay and I use stuff like 'No homo' and 'That's gay'. I know that the majority of people don't actually use those kind of phrases to cause harm, and being offended by those kind of meaningless phrases continues the stereotype that gays are easily offended which just incites more discrimination.

To conclude: I really don't care whoever uses it, I use it myself.
Reply 74
Original post by Phobia27
I'm gay and I use stuff like 'No homo' and 'That's gay'. I know that the majority of people don't actually use those kind of phrases to cause harm, and being offended by those kind of meaningless phrases continues the stereotype that gays are easily offended which just incites more discrimination.

To conclude: I really don't care whoever uses it, I use it myself.

See, even gay people use it!! It's just a light-hearted joke, don't see why people are thinking it's offensive. I mean I use it a lot, but then I make some extremely gay jokes with certain friends i'm comfortable with, especially in front of other people to make them feel insecure :P saying 'no homo' doesn't show I'm insecure about my sexuality, someone who actually IS insecure would always make sure he never used a phrase that could be mistaken for a homosexual innuendo or whatever.
Reply 75
Original post by qasman
How do you know?

http://gayteens.about.com/od/safetytips/a/no_homo.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4121040AAPmDeL
Sounds homophobic to me. The fact that it comes from rap shouldn't be at all surprising either, for some reason it's still acceptable to be sexist and homophobic in rap and not get censored on the radio - for shame

I absolutley hate 'it's so gay' That it very clearly saying that something is worthless or inferior, aka gay. really homophobic.

It makes me very angry thinking about all the hard work our brothers and sisters have put in in the last 40 years fighting for gay rights. Don't let the next generation flush away all their hard work!!

I say things like, "That's gay." but I don't take offense to it, because I said it and I know I'm a lesbian. But, when other people say it, it makes me a little nervous around them because I think they don't approve.

Yeah, definitely offensive! The word "no" in front of the term has the effect of neGAYting the term, hence it becomes offensive.

I've never heard it used before. No doubt it won't be long before it infiltrates British slang via means of US media.

If I heard someone use it then I'd probably stub my cigarette out on their forehead.

I agree. I don't like it when the word 'gay' is used as a synonym for 'stupid'. As in, "That's so gay".

It depends on the context... but i do think many people find it in offensive.
enough views?
Reply 76

This isn't representative of all gay people, these are those kinda people who get offended by every little thing and can't take a joke. "That's gay" and "No homo" aren't generally offensive to gay people, you're obviously going to get people with every type of opinion on the internet, this doesn't prove much.
Reply 77
Original post by qasman
This isn't representative of all gay people, these are those kinda people who get offended by every little thing and can't take a joke. "That's gay" and "No homo" aren't generally offensive to gay people, you're obviously going to get people with every type of opinion on the internet, this doesn't prove much.

I know, and where did I say ALL gay people felt this way? Exactly, nowhere, but some do. I dont think it would be to me if I were gay, as it is simply a light-hearted comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending