Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what the likely financial consequences are of withdrawing from the GDL after having accepted an offer of a place (due to start in Sept '11)?

Specifically, I have a TC but may receive a fairly unique job offer outside of law about which I am very excited. I must accept my GDL place by the middle of April but am unlikely to hear back about the other job until the Summer at the earliest. I am concerned that although I would withdraw from my TC before starting the GDL, the firm may have already paid the course fees and ask me for them. Does anyone know when firms pay the fees, is it only once you've started? Is the full sum paid upfront or would I only be asked for a first installment?

Finally are there any other consequences of withdrawing from a TC that I should be aware of?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    usually you pay a deposit (around £200) to "secure" your place & then pay the first installment in Sept. The firm would want their £200 back though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klancy)
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what the likely financial consequences are of withdrawing from the GDL after having accepted an offer of a place (due to start in Sept '11)?

Specifically, I have a TC but may receive a fairly unique job offer outside of law about which I am very excited. I must accept my GDL place by the middle of April but am unlikely to hear back about the other job until the Summer at the earliest. I am concerned that although I would withdraw from my TC before starting the GDL, the firm may have already paid the course fees and ask me for them. Does anyone know when firms pay the fees, is it only once you've started? Is the full sum paid upfront or would I only be asked for a first installment?

Finally are there any other consequences of withdrawing from a TC that I should be aware of?

Many thanks
    You'll be fine. There will be no GDL fees to pay if yo cancel now. The firm won't care. If they've advanced you any maintenance money you'll have to give it back.

Think carefully, though. Obviously I don't know your situation but you need to look at how secure the 'fairly unique' opportunity is. You don't want to end up with no job in six months time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.