The Student Room Group

Stuck in German translation

the sentence that i cant get my head around (for some reason) is 'Das Spielzeug war zum grossen Teil selbstgemacht. i know all of the vocab that is used but when i translate it literally i can't seem to make sense of it..mainly because of the 'zum Grossen Teil' part. Anybody help? ps. im trying to translate without using any resources.
Reply 1
Original post by JakeE10
the sentence that i cant get my head around (for some reason) is 'Das Spielzeug war zum grossen Teil selbstgemacht. i know all of the vocab that is used but when i translate it literally i can't seem to make sense of it..mainly because of the 'zum Grossen Teil' part. Anybody help? ps. im trying to translate without using any resources.

'Zum großen Teil' = largely. Does that help?:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hobnob
'Zum großen Teil' = largely. Does that help?:smile:

Hey, thanks for your help :smile: i didn't know what that phrase meant so thanks :smile:
Still finding it hard to make it into good english! lol
Reply 3
Original post by JakeE10
Hey, thanks for your help :smile: i didn't know what that phrase meant so thanks :smile:
Still finding it hard to make it into good english! lol

Well, it sounds clunky in German as well, so you can always claim your translation is intentionally clunky.:wink:
Reply 4
Shouldn't it say "Das Spielzeug war zum größten Teil"...for the most part,the toy(plaything) was self-made (homemade)..depends on the context....my 2 cents
Reply 5
For the most part is correct.
Reply 6
Original post by BenHur
Shouldn't it say "Das Spielzeug war zum größten Teil"...for the most part,the toy(plaything) was self-made (homemade)..depends on the context....my 2 cents

'Zum größten Teil' is a bit more common, but there's nothing wrong with 'zum großen Teil' (and they don't mean the same thing).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending