Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive got an offer (ABB) for both newcastle and essex for politics, and i dont know which to choose.

This is what i am thinking about the 2 uni's

Newcastle: football (i support nufc)
    nightlife

Essex: higher ranked
    a 4 year course, so 3rd year is abroad

ReputationRep:
    depends on the uni you like the look off, the are in 2 very different parts off england

my old housemate was from sunderland, and like it down here as it was somewhere different new area to live and all that, he had to make the travel to the north east a few times missed the sessions

it all depends on the course you like the look and the uni, i wouldn't worry about missing nufc :p: plus only at uni for 10 weeks at a time, there are ways to watch games
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Academically Essex is probably better for Politics, but obviously your decision should be based on various factors. If you think you would be happier at one, or if the course at one of them appeals to you more, then both are examples of legitimate reasons to choose your university.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend essex as it does have a very good department for politics, although you really need to take a close look at the course to see if it contains subjects that sound interesting to you. Compare the course content of newcastle and essex, then weigh up the other factors.

ReputationRep:
    I had offers for both for economics and politics and I ended up choosing Essex. I love Newcastle as a city and Colchester doesn't really measure up in that respect but the politics department at Essex seemed better than the one at Newcastle so I decided I should go by what was best for me academically. Having said that though each university offers modules which the other doesn't so you should take a look at what modules they each offer and see what interests you the most. As universities go they are very different, Essex is a small campus university which is outside of the town centre whilst Newcastle is much bigger and a city university so you'd be right in the heart of the city, you just need to decide what's right for you. They both offer visit days for the courses so you should really try and go to them if you're undecided.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.