Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to become a exchange student in north america back before Christmas and have been pretty keen on the idea.

Recently however I've made excellent friends who I could potentially live with for the next two years at the university I'm at now, and really like the idea of doing so.

I also love England; the people, fashion, music ect and have come to realise this after thinking of the possiblity of not being here next year.

The exchange would be one year in America. I didn't get into the university over there I really wanted too, yet I'm still down for other places. It's Montana or WV or someplace like that though I would be sent to. I know America is ment to be a fantastic experience but I'm not sure if I want to leave my familly, friends and a great house I could live in with my mates though. If it goes **** in America I can't just leave ethier, I pretty much have to stick it out.

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Well I would defiantly pick Montana over WV, but if you don't want to go to the US then don't.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand how you are feeling but please do not dismiss an opportunity like this without giving it some logical thought.

"I've made excellent friends who I could potentially live with for the next two years". This should not be a reason to stop you from going. Yes if you go to America you will miss out on living with them in 2nd year, but you can always live with them when you return. You cannot grantee that living with them is going to be as fun as you think. I know from personal experience that things can easily turn sour when you move in together. Imagine how gutted you would feel if you ended up in a miserable housing situation having passed on the chance of going to America.

"I also love England; the people, fashion, music ect and have come to realise this after thinking of the possiblity of not being here next year". England isn't going anywhere. One year away from England will do you some good. You'll appreciate it even more and you'll learn that there are something about other countries that are even better. Do you not want to experience something else temporarily? You'll learn a lot from it.

I understand that you are scared that if things aren't great in America you can't go home, but that's the lottery of life. Like I said you can never be sure that you will have a great time (whether you stay at home or go to America) but at least if you go you'll never look back wondering "what if".

Sometimes we need to be brave and break out of our comfort zone to truly enjoy life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Travelling_Girl)
    I can understand how you are feeling but please do not dismiss an opportunity like this without giving it some logical thought.

"I've made excellent friends who I could potentially live with for the next two years". This should not be a reason to stop you from going. Yes if you go to America you will miss out on living with them in 2nd year, but you can always live with them when you return. You cannot grantee that living with them is going to be as fun as you think. I know from personal experience that things can easily turn sour when you move in together. Imagine how gutted you would feel if you ended up in a miserable housing situation having passed on the chance of going to America.

"I also love England; the people, fashion, music ect and have come to realise this after thinking of the possiblity of not being here next year". England isn't going anywhere. One year away from England will do you some good. You'll appreciate it even more and you'll learn that there are something about other countries that are even better. Do you not want to experience something else temporarily? You'll learn a lot from it.

I understand that you are scared that if things aren't great in America you can't go home, but that's the lottery of life. Like I said you can never be sure that you will have a great time (whether you stay at home or go to America) but at least if you go you'll never look back wondering "what if".

Sometimes we need to be brave and break out of our comfort zone to truly enjoy life.
    Wow thankyou, great answer! You're completely right, I don't want to live my second year thinking 'what if' and I can live with them in year three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharkAttack)
    Wow thankyou, great answer! You're completely right, I don't want to live my second year thinking 'what if' and I can live with them in year three.
    You're welcome. I speak from experience. I was dreading my year abroad but for me it was compulsory. If it had been a choice I know I would have chickened out. But seriously, despite the home sickness and difficulties, it's the best thing I've ever done and wish I could do it all over again next year too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharkAttack)
    Well done OP! Listen to that persons advice and go for it! After all your experience is what you make of it so ensure you have a good time in the US and really push yourself. As for your friends spend as much time with them as possible and let them know before you go that you want to live with them. Also try and arrange to meet them during xmas and easter and contact them regularly so you don't feel out of the loop when you return!

Good luck

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.