Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi basically I don't go to the best school but I work hard and I really want to get into dentistry.

My gcses were 7A* and 3A's.
    I did my biology and chemistry AS modules in Jan and I got an A in chemistry (only 84%) and a B in biology.

I'm retaking the biology, but leaving the chemistry. I know I must sound so absurd for even considering retaking chemistry but I know that dentistry is so competitive and that most people have like A*'s and over 90% in AS modules, but I still decided against retaking chem as I'd rather try and do better in the second module.

Do you think that I can still get into Dentistry 2012 with grades like that? (im only asking about the grades side of application)

Please give me some advice! Thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candycloud)
    Hi basically I don't go to the best school but I work hard and I really want to get into dentistry.

I did my biology and chemistry AS modules in Jan and I got an A in chemistry (only 84%) and a B in biology.

I'm retaking the biology, but leaving the chemistry. I know I must sound so absurd for even considering retaking chemistry but I know that dentistry is so competitive and that most people have like A*'s and over 90% in AS modules, but I still decided against retaking chem as I'd rather try and do better in the second module.

Do you think that I can still get into Dentistry 2012 with grades like that? (im only asking about the grades side of application)

YESSSS of course you can you will be fine, i know some people in my class who got C and Ds in their jan modules (and this is a grammar school we are talking about) so seriously you are fine. just work really hard for unit 2 and for the retake... for GCSEs i experienced the reatkes as being easier than the actual.. but that might not be true for AS levels, just thought id say that .. also your GCSEs are ven better than mine you need to get lots of work exp - which im having much trouble getting- and lots of extra curricular e.g. volunteering . sorry i talk too much , not usually like that
    A

ReputationRep:
    Yes, easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candycloud)

Hey your grades are absolutely fine. I wouldn't even worry about getting A*s as they wouldn't give preference to someone with them (well maybe apart from places like B'Ham).

ReputationRep:
    All you need is common sense and grades to get through the admissions proces .. You need any help .. Let me know ! Gd luck with the UKcat .. Study for it . unlike me!

ReputationRep:
    It's crucial to get LOADS of work experience, in different aspects of dentistry (nhs, speciality, hospital). Honestly there are going to be a huge number of applicants who have similar grades to yours...dental schools have very little to distinguish applicants upon.

Many of the dental students in my year had large amounts of work experience, and I'm convinced that's the most effective way of getting yourself into dental school.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomnia)
    All you need is common sense and grades to get through the admissions proces .. You need any help .. Let me know ! Gd luck with the UKcat .. Study for it . unlike me!
    Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.