Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to a boarding school later this year in the US and was curious is 31 on the IB a decent/good score for the schools average?

My uni aim would be to go to a Ivy League, therefore I would have to score around 38+ however how much would you consider is down to personal work/effort and how much depends on the schools help?

Plan to take;

HL: Maths, Biology, Economics/(or something else - not sure)
    SL: Spanish inito, English, Music/(or something else - not sure)

I want to study Computer Science or Law at uni, could anyone advise me on what to take for my 3rd HL/Sl or name a subject they took which they enjoed and tell me a bit about it?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    31 is alright - the world average is about 29.5. However to get in to an Ivy League you will be looking at 38+ and for Harvard/Yale it will be more like 42+.
    It's a combination of your work and the school's help/resources - but don't depend too much on anyone else to help you. The IB is all about independent learning and you will be expected to do a lot of independent work without guidance.

If you wanted to do Law, at least in the UK, you would be expected to have an essay-based subject at HL, and it would probably be English or History - so I would recommend Maths, Econ/Bio, and English HL. Computer science would definitely want Maths HL and possibly Physics too (in the UK anyway - and as far as I know they are a bit more flexible stateside). I'd recommend:
    HL Maths, English, Economics
    SL Spanish ab, Biology, History/Music.

Hope that helped in some way?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I was considering taking a essay base subject at higher level (I'm guessing Economics won't really count as one?), except I actually hate essays >_< (Yeh, I know 4k EE)

I'm definetly going to stay in America to go university, but i doubt there will be much of a difference with what they require for computer science and law so thanks for the info

Going to take a more detailed look at the syllabus on the site in a few days time, also would you know any sites that have past exam papers?
    The IB site itself only has exam papers for a limited selection of the subjects so it's not that easy to get a feel for what I will be up against in 2 years time.

Finally, CAS - how did ya record it? Personally I'm thinking of creating a blog and updating it weekly or so and inserting pictures etc. but yeh.

- Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

31 is, to be honest, a very easy score to get. The world average isn't representative of what people are able to actually get with any amount of effort.

Economics is considered an essay-based subject. It consists of two papers, one which is an essay question, where you write three essays in response to a similar theme, and the second is data response, where you answer two definitions, two medium-answer questions and one long-answer question.

Exam past papers - we can't put links like that on the forum, so if you PM me here or email me (email is I think on my profile) I can send it to you that way. The site has syllabuses, past papers, and mark schemes, but I don't see how they will be useful without having studied the course.

My school gave us a CAS diary, but the checking for CAS is very little. The coordinator at your school simply has to believe you did the CAS and grew as a result of it. I think you really should put effort into the CAS, it's a great experience. For your planning, you should be preparing objective and aims before starting the activities, and working towards those activities. You need to show communication skills, the ability to work in a team, the ability to organize, and the ability to be committed.

In terms of your subject choice, make sure you realise that HL maths will be astronomically more difficult than your biology or economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima11)
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I was considering taking a essay base subject at higher level (I'm guessing Economics won't really count as one?), except I actually hate essays >_< (Yeh, I know 4k EE)

I'm definetly going to stay in America to go university, but i doubt there will be much of a difference with what they require for computer science and law so thanks for the info

Going to take a more detailed look at the syllabus on the site in a few days time, also would you know any sites that have past exam papers?
    The IB site itself only has exam papers for a limited selection of the subjects so it's not that easy to get a feel for what I will be up against in 2 years time.

Finally, CAS - how did ya record it? Personally I'm thinking of creating a blog and updating it weekly or so and inserting pictures etc. but yeh.

- Thanks again
    Your school will sort out how CAS is recorded - some schools make you keep a diary, at my school we had a form to fill in at the end of every term explaining how we'd benefited from the program.

Economics is very essay-based but I would still strongly reccommend something like English or History for Law, for the required research and analysis.

HL maths is very, very difficult and should not be underestimated. Many americans at my school had AP maths and were scoring highly in the SATs, and came into HL maths full of confidence. Half of them quit within months and none of them scored particularly high.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.