Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did anyone do really badly in their mocks but well in the real exams? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got a U in my Core 2 mock and came out with 85% in January. Good times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    I'm just wondering because I had my mocks for Philosophy and Ethics and I got my result for Ethics and I got an amazing...E. I was surprised since I assumed that even the tiny bit of revision that I did should have at least got me a D.

I don't know what went wrong with me as, for GCSEs, I'd revise for even the smallest of tests but now I didn't for a mock. I did have a lot of extra stuff going on but I wish I could go back to that weekend and prioritise Ethics above everything else. And I will definitely work hard for the real exam.

The situation is really bad though My teacher is furious (only one girl in the entire class revised so everyone has done badly) and I am getting a letter sent home and have to speak to the head of year I'm predicted an A and got 4 grades below that - it's laughable :lol: Big difference to the A*s I got in my GCSEs lol.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else did atrociously on their mocks and well in their exams. Just for reassurance really :p:
    The highest I ever had in a Maths mock was 58 D.

The lowest I ever had in a Maths real was 91 A*.

Mocks mean nothing; i'd have had a U or E @ most if I had my mock results but I had an A* overall after working hard.

Why is there such a big difference?

Well, mocks give you a kick up the backside for one. But also, for subjects like Maths, I only started doing most my 'exam practice' questions and PAST PAPERS AFTER my mock so all that extra Maths and lots of it and hours upon hours of practice of formulas, method, techniques and bringing it all together paid dividends in the real exams.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ran on consistent U's before my GCSE's. Then got 4 C's and a B. Not great but then the same thing happened at A level. I was getting D's and E's in History then finally got an A on my proper exam.

ReputationRep:
    It's more likely that you'll do better for the real exam than the mocks. I always do better in the real exam as I work hard for it. Mocks usually wake you up to how much you need to revise so don't be put off by it just put in some solid revision and you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    In AS and A2 Law mocks, I got 3 E's and a D..in the real thing I got A's in all 4.

Personally I thought in the mocks I was being marked unfairly

ReputationRep:
    AS is a big step up from GCSE, you have to work to get and A at A level lol

But yes i got a U in my first A2 Unit in Chemistry mock, with the exam a few days away, and ended up with a very good A

ReputationRep:
    went from ABCCD fail fail fail fail -> AAAAAAABB in proper Int 2s. prelims mean nothing!

ReputationRep:
    In the AS mocks last academic year I got BBC, then AAA in the actual January 2010 exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! No one really tries for mocks, an example is for Psychology (A2) I kept getting D's and then in the real exam in January I got an A (93%) - it is possible. I think mocks are wake up calls, and you start working hard once you see the grade

ReputationRep:
    Guilty. Bombed all my mocks, only coz i didn't study for crap, studied properly for the real thing, got what i needed

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in my Philosophy mock :woo: That's on track! And Philosophy is supposed to be harder but I find it so much easier to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Did any of your schools threaten you by withdrawing you from the exams by bad mocks?

ReputationRep:
    We all have our moments where we don't perform well or even revise hard but still don't do well. All you can do is make sure you can do better for the real exam. Just make sure you can say to yourself you have put in all your effort from mocks to exams. Some people can do well hardly revising where as some revise hard but don't. That is just the way it goes. A levels are very demanding. Especially Maths and Physics.

Just try your best

ReputationRep:
    im looking at this now //2016 and i feel that im gonna do really bad in re mocks philosophy and ethics.......any extra revision tips that would help ???

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.