Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there TSR Pharm Phanatics!! :yeah:

I was reading a copy of Careers 2009 and came across careers in Pharmacy.
    I have had an interest in Pharmacy (as a sub up to medicine then Grad med after) but I realised that I could get a job as a pharmacy technician at a Pharmacy.All I need is good GCSE's

I am studying for my AS levels ATM.

But would a pharmacy be willing to hire a 16 year old as a technician and would this be possible for the weekends and a few evenings in the week (say 1 or 2) and both evenings in the weekend too.

Any and all information/advice is appreciated as this would be my first job :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    Usually being a pharmacy technician involves quite a bit of training but there's no reason why you couldn't get a job in a pharmacy. When I started even before I was allowed to sell paracetamol I had to do some basic training and I would imagine it is the same everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice. Cnan you elaborate more on how you became one and what you did? I can PM you
    (Original post by jami74)
    Usually being a pharmacy technician involves quite a bit of training but there's no reason why you couldn't get a job in a pharmacy. When I started even before I was allowed to sell paracetamol I had to do some basic training and I would imagine it is the same everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Thanks for your advice. Cnan you elaborate more on how you became one and what you did? I can PM you
    I'm not a technician. Where I work new employees start as Counter Assistants and then work up to being a Dispenser if they are capable. To be a technician I'd need to work more hours and do an NVQ. The initial training is learning about what questions to ask customers to ensure you are selling them a product that is right for them and isn't going to interact with other medication they are using, which customers to refer to the pharmacist, the products which can only be sold in limited quantities, how to take a prescription in and that type of thing. The training is ongoing, there is always something to be leaning about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jami74)
    I'm not a technician. Where I work new employees start as Counter Assistants and then work up to being a Dispenser if they are capable. To be a technician I'd need to work more hours and do an NVQ. The initial training is learning about what questions to ask customers to ensure you are selling them a product that is right for them and isn't going to interact with other medication they are using, which customers to refer to the pharmacist, the products which can only be sold in limited quantities, how to take a prescription in and that type of thing. The training is ongoing, there is always something to be leaning about.
    Oh I see

Thanks Jami.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.