Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To straighten or no:) To straighten my afro that is the question. watch

Hey, I am a mixed race guy. I have a very thick afro. My facial features are closer to caucasians than to west-Africans. I am often mistaken for a Moroccan.

I am undecided as to whether I should straighten my hair. I think it will look better-like aston from jls or MJ from thriller. However, it is some hassle and there are identity issues that come into play.

A lot of blacks would say, you are trying to look more white. There is some truth in this. In all honesty, though, I'm just trying to look more attractive to the opposite sex. I am proud of my African roots. I think of my afro as a lion's mane. roarrr...

So can any1 offer some advice. Do you think straightened hair would look good on me? I have quite soft features. What straighteners should I buy? Do you think I should go for some other style?

NB also dont want mum who is black to think i'm a wimp for using straighteners- how?

ReputationRep:
    Naah embrace your afro! Sets you apart - Aston looks a bit prissy imo (dont neg me JLS fans i come in peace)

ReputationRep:
    Afro's are cool! :awesome: I'm not sure what straightened afro hair looks like. What about corn rows? Those are also awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, I am a mixed race guy. I have a very thick afro. My facial features are closer to caucasians than to west-Africans. I am often mistaken for a Moroccan.

A lot of blacks would say, you are trying to look more white. There is some truth in this. In all honesty, though, I'm just trying to look more attractive to the opposite sex. I am proud of my African roots. I think of my afro as a lion's mane. roarrr...
    This bit is so cute!
    Go for it I'd invest in some good ones if you're sure you'll be doing it long term.. GHD's etc. For afro hair definitely invest in a good set - there may even be some out there specifically for afro hair. Maybe you could go to a salon and get it done first so you can see if you like it, they could give you tips as well. Don't worry about your Mum - once she sees your new hairdo she'll understand!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read properly but don't straighten it and stick your pens in it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean with relaxers, or with hair straightening irons? Anyway, just do what you want, it's only hair. And don't worry about people trying to accuse you of some self-hating bull**** - most people like to change up their style, it's no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Would this not make better sense and retain the drama (in reference to Shakespeare of course!)

"To straighten or not to straighten; that is the question."

No need to thank me. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkss!)
    Didn't read properly but don't straighten it and stick your pens in it :yes:
    You are not "White" are you - oh secondary schooldays were tedious because of your kind :teehee:

"Stick pens in it!"

"Can my ruler fit in it?"

"Are your pube$ black too?"

"It's like a cushion!"

"It's like a sponge after you swam!"

Like excited little children who have not had much contact with the African people :laugh:

ReputationRep:

I am undecided as to whether I should straighten my hair. I think it will look better-like aston from jls or MJ from thriller. However, it is some hassle and there are identity issues that come into play.

So can any1 offer some advice. Do you think straightened hair would look good on me? I have quite soft features. What straighteners should I buy? Do you think I should go for some other style?

NB also dont want mum who is black to think i'm a wimp for using straighteners- how?
    Do whatever you want! and my little sister is blonde and has an afro and absolutely hates it but she won't dare do anything with it so it depends how confident you are in changing your look.
    Also you have made me laugh with the lion mane bit

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends straightened his afro and it was never the same after that

Do whatever you feel like doing though, don't let other people put you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    You are not "White" are you - oh secondary schooldays were tedious because of your kind :teehee:

"Stick pens in it!"

"Can my ruler fit in it?"

"Are your pube$ black too?"

"It's like a cushion!"

"It's like a sponge after you swam!"

Like excited little children who have not had much contact with the African people :laugh:
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but you sound like a posh ****.

ReputationRep:
    You could try it and see what reactions you get. It's not gonna be straight forever and ever and ever, no harm in trying!

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Do you mean with relaxers, or with hair straightening irons? Anyway, just do what you want, it's only hair. And don't worry about people trying to accuse you of some self-hating bull**** - most people like to change up their style, it's no big deal.
    Irons because relaxers damage hair.

Thanks for all the responses btw.

ReputationRep:
    Irons because relaxers damage hair.
    OK, fair enough. Though, irons and blowdryers can damage the hair too :fyi:. Any of these things used in moderation should be OK though, providing you take care of your hair well.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think straightening your hair means rejecting your African heritage. After all, black girls relax their hair all the time (I'm one of them). I think it basically depends on how straightened hair will look on you. If you straighten it and you don't like it, you can always revert back to the afro... I think.

ReputationRep:
    Respect the 'fro bro! You mess with the 'fro, you got to go...

On a serious note I've got an afro too and I wouldn't straighten it because I'm trying to grow dreadlocks. It's your hair, do what you want with it.

ReputationRep:
    Fros are awesome

ReputationRep:
    straighten it out and see if it looks good.
    if not, afro it up again
    or does it not work like that? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkss!)
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but you sound like a posh ****.
    Posh? That didn't come across to me in the slightest...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.