Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm working as a census collector in Swindon for the 2011 census. I'm looking forward to it but at my classroom training they said I'd spend the first two weeks in low-response areas around Swindon before going to my allocated areas (tiny little villages outside Swindon).

Suddenly feeling nervous about wandering around in the dark in Swindon. I don't suppose anyone else has the same concerns?

Is anyone planning on bringing someone with them despite the rules?

Or have I just watches Silence of the Lambs one too many times?

(Hannibal Lecter: "A census taker once tried to test me...I ate his liver with with some fava beans and a nice chianti")

!

ReputationRep:
    I'd get drinking huge quantities of alcohol in the next few weeks.

Obviously going to want to enlarge your liver as much as possible for a feast!

ReputationRep:
    The 'main' census collector thread is here, I've linked you to page 26.
    I'm a collector too, but in Brighton. I'm not too worried about it cos I'm not planning to work after 8ish anyway (and thats when it actually gets properly dark now) and the training I got was 'if you feel unsafe, walk away, your life is worth much more than a returned census!' so they realise that there's going to be issues and times when you're not going to be able to complete your job. Try not to worry about it too much and just see how it goes.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.