Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a nuisance, another accomodation thread but was just wondering what the best catered accomodation was at a reasonable price. Am leaning towards Wantage halls but hear its full of 'public schooled twits' as which I'm quite the opposite haha although just wondered what people thought based on the accomodation itself and not the people who tend to live there.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you want St pats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshnit)
    Sounds like you want St pats
    ^ This.

I live in Pats so any questions about the hall or food then fire away...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshRhys)
    ^ This.

I live in Pats so any questions about the hall or food then fire away...

Whats the food like?
    whats the difference between a better single room an a standard one?
    sort of people?
    distance to other halls?
    nice living scenary outside (I dont function without the sight of grass lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeonyoubees)

Whats the food like?
    whats the difference between a better single room an a standard one?
    sort of people?
    distance to other halls?
    nice living scenary outside (I dont function without the sight of grass lol)
    The food is good, typical options are homemade pie, bangers and mash, fish, homemade meatballs, chicken legs in different sauces, pizza, curries....all edible. Next year you'll get 14 meal points a week, and you pick how you want to use those out of the 19 meals in a week (so most people will miss breakfast I'd imagine). If you don't want to come back to St Pats for meals then you can also take them in Park Eat (Windsor hall) or Cedars (when it re-opens), or you can get a packed lunch (choice of pre-packed sandwiches, bag of crisps, bar of chocolate, bit of fruit and a can of drink). I lived here in my first year (3 years ago), and the quality of food has MASSIVELY improved!

Of the 300 rooms in hall only about 6 are 'better rooms'....basically they are HUGE, atleast double the size of a standard room, which is big enough anyway. Unless you're an older undergrad or an international student you wont be allocated one, but there's no harm asking for in the application form

St Pats is known as one of the best halls and can have a big party atmosphere, although not as much as some of the cheaper halls (Wessex and Sibly). Theres a proper mix of people which makes for a good atmosphere, all of new court are freshers and rooms are arranged in corridors. Pearson court is arranged in individual blocks of 12, with about half of the court reserved for returning students. I wouldn't say theres a particular 'type' of person here, but when you fill out application forms make sure you're honest - there is a part of the form asking for your interests - the office staff use this to group people together who are likely to get along.

Sherfield and the Student Village are just behind Pats, St Georges a 5 min walk away, and the majority of the campus halls between a 10 and 20 min walk. Sibly and Bulmershe are an absolute trek....you don't want to be walking there. There's a row of shops just round the corner from Pats as well, not the cheapest but good for drinks.

I'm obviously bias but I think that the scenery is some of the best you'll get in halls at Reading (maybe with the exception of a few rooms at Stenton which have a stunning view over the lake). Pats is arranged around two courtyards, with our own football field to one side and plenty of green space in the middle. On top of that there's a public park and the campus sports fields only a few minutes walk away.

I've attached some pictures to this post, hopefully the scenery is good enough
    The first two are of the view from my 1st room
    The second one of my current room
    The third a picture of a snowy Pearson Court
    And the last one i a picture of the lake on capmus
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks WelshRhys thats an incredible help! Much appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was in St Pats in my first year of uni and it was the best year of uni by far, wish I could go back!

ReputationRep:
    I know you will probably be biased, hehe. But I'm not sure between Wantage and St Patricks, on the open day, I only got to see Wantage and It looked really nice, with the new kitchen area it had. I was just wondering what the shared kitchens and rooms are like in St Patricks aas they were ok in Wantage but I'm not sure.
    and is it true there is a piano practise room?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for taking a while to get back to you!

The kitchens in new court are pretty big and you get a cupboard to yourself. In Pearson court the kitchens are a lot smaller and there's not much storage space. But all kitchens have a proper cooker and hob, microwave, kettle and toaster so it is possible to cook in them.

And yes there is a piano practice room! There's also a baby grand piano in the JCR.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for taking a while to get back to you!

The kitchens in new court are pretty big and you get a cupboard to yourself. In Pearson court the kitchens are a lot smaller and there's not much storage space. But all kitchens have a proper cooker and hob, microwave, kettle and toaster so it is possible to cook in them.

And yes there is a piano practice room! There's also a baby grand piano in the JCR.
    No pronlem :]
    Oo, nice. :] I'm really unsure now between St Pats and Wantage. I heard that all bathrooms are on the ground floor in St Pats, does that create a problem for people on higher floors? :] Sorry to keep asking questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemzaar)
    No pronlem :]
    Oo, nice. :] I'm really unsure now between St Pats and Wantage. I heard that all bathrooms are on the ground floor in St Pats, does that create a problem for people on higher floors? :] Sorry to keep asking questions.
    The bathrooms are all on the ground floor only in New Court, every floor in Pearson Court has it's own bathroom. I was on the top (2nd) floor of New Court in my first year - it really doesnt cause a problem! It only takes 30seconds to walk down the stairs and then the bathroom is right there. There's also a WC on each floor so you dont have to go too far in the middle of the night. Keep asking away if you have any more q's :)

ReputationRep:
    The bathrooms are all on the ground floor only in New Court, every floor in Pearson Court has it's own bathroom. I was on the top (2nd) floor of New Court in my first year - it really doesnt cause a problem! It only takes 30seconds to walk down the stairs and then the bathroom is right there. There's also a WC on each floor so you dont have to go too far in the middle of the night. Keep asking away if you have any more q's
    A question about the catered thing. Are you on the 14 points system at the moment or that only going to start in october? Just wondering, if you knew, if this meant two meals on weekends or is the 14 thing just for the week. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemzaar)
    A question about the catered thing. Are you on the 14 points system at the moment or that only going to start in october? Just wondering, if you knew, if this meant two meals on weekends or is the 14 thing just for the week. thanks
    We're on 19 meals a week at the mo, so 3 meals weekdays and breakfast and lunch weekends. I usually have 4 or 5 meals left by the end of Sunday that I dont use so I dont think it will cause too many problems.

I dont think they've decided whether the dining room will be open weekends yet...I'm pretty sure it will be though, so you'd have to choose what 14 meals you want to take over the course of the week (excluding weekend evenings).

ReputationRep:
    The food is good, typical options are homemade pie, bangers and mash, fish, homemade meatballs, chicken legs in different sauces, pizza, curries....all edible. Next year you'll get 14 meal points a week, and you pick how you want to use those out of the 19 meals in a week (so most people will miss breakfast I'd imagine). If you don't want to come back to St Pats for meals then you can also take them in Park Eat (Windsor hall) or Cedars (when it re-opens), or you can get a packed lunch (choice of pre-packed sandwiches, bag of crisps, bar of chocolate, bit of fruit and a can of drink). I lived here in my first year (3 years ago), and the quality of food has MASSIVELY improved!

Of the 300 rooms in hall only about 6 are 'better rooms'....basically they are HUGE, atleast double the size of a standard room, which is big enough anyway. Unless you're an older undergrad or an international student you wont be allocated one, but there's no harm asking for in the application form

St Pats is known as one of the best halls and can have a big party atmosphere, although not as much as some of the cheaper halls (Wessex and Sibly). Theres a proper mix of people which makes for a good atmosphere, all of new court are freshers and rooms are arranged in corridors. Pearson court is arranged in individual blocks of 12, with about half of the court reserved for returning students. I wouldn't say theres a particular 'type' of person here, but when you fill out application forms make sure you're honest - there is a part of the form asking for your interests - the office staff use this to group people together who are likely to get along.

Sherfield and the Student Village are just behind Pats, St Georges a 5 min walk away, and the majority of the campus halls between a 10 and 20 min walk. Sibly and Bulmershe are an absolute trek....you don't want to be walking there. There's a row of shops just round the corner from Pats as well, not the cheapest but good for drinks.

I'm obviously bias but I think that the scenery is some of the best you'll get in halls at Reading (maybe with the exception of a few rooms at Stenton which have a stunning view over the lake). Pats is arranged around two courtyards, with our own football field to one side and plenty of green space in the middle. On top of that there's a public park and the campus sports fields only a few minutes walk away.

I've attached some pictures to this post, hopefully the scenery is good enough
    The first two are of the view from my 1st room
    The second one of my current room
    The third a picture of a snowy Pearson Court
    And the last one i a picture of the lake on capmus
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this dude. Lovin the squirrel btw

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was wondering if you could help me out with some of the accomodation at reading.
    I can't decide between catered vs non catered.
    Its the times that same a bit restrictive , i.e. having dinner at a certain time, also the lunch is at a certain time - The idea of lunch also sounds restrictive, especially if I'm offsite. But the social side of catered halls, and the ease of having a meal pre-cooked sounds good.

So fair I've nailed it down to...

St. Patricks Catered
    St. George's Self Catered
    Wessex Self Catered
    Wantage Catered
    Stenton Townhouses (New for 2012) Self Catered

Does anyone have any opinions of living in and comparing these halls? Obviously no ones lived in the townhouses yet, but for people living in halls - does this sound appealing?
    From what it says online there'll be 4 floors, 1 first social area with a lounge, kitchen, dining room, on all of the other 3 floors there are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

Sorry for this post being so long! Just new territory...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomized)
    I'm in Wessex at the moment and i've loved every second of it so far.

It ticks all the boxes really. Next year it'll be the cheapest hall as they're knocking Sibly down and you are certainly getting value for money, my rent is only £90 per week this year. The facilities are nothing compared to the expensive halls but they're all in good order, rooms are a decent size and the kitchens were done a few years ago so they are rather nice. It's only 5 mins from the centre of campus, there's a nice view of the lake as you walk in and Wokingham Road nearby has plenty of shops, a regular bus service etc.

It's by far the most sociable hall too. Because its a small hall and a corridor layout you will make plenty of friends and get to know most people, the majority of the freshers will be on 1st floor. Much better than a flat in my opinion. I've visited friends in other halls who hardly know anyone outside their flat because everywhere is closed off! You've also got a bar downstairs which is quiet, but really good. Plus a TV room and a giant hall for table tennis or just doing whatever. The Wessex JCR do a fantastic job and i'm sure whoever you get next year will do the same.

As for the others? Wantage is a stunning hall visually but it has a reputation of being full of private school kids, rahs and agrics who are a bit stuck up. I've only met a couple of people from there but they certainly gave off that impression. St Pats is another party hall, visited a few times as my friends know people there and it has quite an atmosphere! The rooms are quite nice too. Can't comment on the others.
    Thanks for your advice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 16, 2012
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.