Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am sure that almost everyone reading this post are aware that there is only a month and a half left until first exams really begin. I am in a really, really tough situation where I will need to learn the whole of AS biology in about 2 weeks. I have read from many sites and books that an AS student should ideally finish all their revision for a particular exam at least one month before its actual date (just explaining why i need to finish revision for it soo soon).
    Please can anyone, preferably someone who has done well previously in Biology or is currently doing well in this subject, help me with revision advice. I have noticed that my work- rate in Biology is quite slow and so I was wondering whether anyone HELP ME AT ALL.
    Please, dont be too harsh with your comments, I am quite a sensitive person and my university aspirations are riding on the need for good AS results.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to replies.

ReputationRep:
    Don't rush your revision.

ReputationRep:
    Hey ... they say that but its rubbish .. you should revise at your pace and your pace only if you want/need to finish a month before hand then go over it again then thats fine but personally i find it best to just keep refreshing my memory with about 1/2 weeks to go ... you have to be aware that we all revise differently and all need different amounts of revision ... I know people who start revising 3 months before their exams and others who do next to none ... again look at your personal needs

Also what exam board are you doing? doing AQA myself knowing the content is important but being able to apply the knowledge is key .. in the jan exam most of the paper was data analysis .... so practice lots of application questions

Anyway .. stop worrying its ages yet

ReputationRep:
    Instead of trawling the textbook for hours try and find a revision guide suited to your exam board, the notes in that will cover the majority if not everything in your textbook but in already condensed note form detailed enough for what you need. I find that if I use textbook to revise I get confused trying to learn the complicated detail when it can be easily summed up in the reivison guide.

Like anything if you can find certain methods that will help you remember things then do it, it took me ages to understand photosynthesis properly, I had to draw a load of diagrams before I truly understood it all. You could try that.

If you've only got two weeks then revision is doable but you need to be prepared to put in a lot of time to revise the whole AS course, I managed half of the entire AS course in about three days and went from a D to a B in that unit. Past papers are good too, it's well and good knowing the content but you need to know how to apply that knowledge in a practical way. My best friend did this, revised and revised and got a U in the exam because she had no idea to relate it to the question they were asking her.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I really do agree with what you've just said, Bubbles675, about the fact application of knowlege is key. It is precisely this which can bring down a candidate's grade. Thank you for your suggestion there. See, the reason why i'm starting to go into panick mode is that i'm going to do 8 exams in the summer and so i'm trying to take firm action now rather than later. I'm doing OCR. I know what you're probz thinking, "that's the easiest exam board, why are you worrying?" Lol. Nevertheless I still believe that I need to work hard in order to get a good grade for it. I kind of wish that I went to a school that allows its student to take at least some exams in jan.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have got the overall message that I really should not rush my revision- I sincerely thank you Tzarchasm for your reply.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.